If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

1:35
2%
1:20
22%
1:15
19%
1:10
42%
1:5
8%
1:1
8%

Total votes: 212

Laqueesha

Re: If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

#131 Post by Laqueesha » 10 Aug 2022 11:59

I might keep the 1:20 scale but make the cities a big bigger.
Travismods

#132 Post by Travismods » 10 Aug 2022 12:05

1:10 would be better overall for a game depicting the massive US. "But with 1:10 I wouldn't be able to drive from X to Z while playing for 15 minutes! It would take a whole 30 minutes I don't have time for that!". So...pick a shorter run going from X to Y for your 15 minute play time or attention span. Problem solved.

The whole map would feel better at 1:10, both for occasional players and players able to invest more time. And I wouldn't mind having half the states we have now, if each of them were twice as big. I also wouldn't mind paying more for each DLC. I'm not sure where this notion comes from that the majority of SCS fans are living on scraps lol. Show me the data that backs this claim up.

@Laqueesha Complete opposite I'd say, just remove some of the invisible walls in cities. Where we need space is between cities. The rural areas of the game are really horribly condensed.
Last edited by Travismods on 10 Aug 2022 12:10, edited 4 times in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#133 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 10 Aug 2022 12:06

cities are mapped in 1:3, they shouldnt change that, they can make the cities bigger without a scale change

also going back to 1:20 for other DLCs will not work because the bigger scale will take away room and then they have to start cheating to fit them in again without distorting it to much
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Travismods

#134 Post by Travismods » 10 Aug 2022 12:20

Cities are not all mapped according to 1:3, the time scale for cities is set to 1:3. That's a very different thing.
AlexxxF1

#135 Post by AlexxxF1 » 10 Aug 2022 16:26

Even with the UK it doesn't work.
When I deliver cargo from the south of Italy, through Germany to the north of Great Britain, having driven through all of Italy, through all of Germany and going through all UK, I immediately get the impression and image that the UK is half a continent, more than Italy and Germany combined, that I passed recently.

yes, when you ride inside and do not leave the state, then yes, it doesn’t matter to you what scale the states are around.
But as you drive from Coast to Coast, you will immediately see that little South Carolina, for example, is the same size as huge Nevada.if they are in different scale.

The most important thing for me is development time. speed up DLC release, not slow it down.
get all the USA at least by 2030, and not by 2040.
Just imagine the gap in quality and the difference between Washington (2019) and the same South Carolina (2040). It will be two completely different games, two completely different worlds, a gap in immersion that we are not going through a whole world, but from a bunch of unrelated ones.
Nevada(2016) and Utah (2019) are prime examples, but state 2019 and state 2040 will be even brighter.
even by 2030 we will have new technologies, new requirements for the picture, but imagine what will happen by 2040.
the Idaho standard is easier to maintain by 2030 and not get big gaps in the picture and the destruction of the whole picture, a single world. Just like it is presented in real life.

it would be great to have time to get the whole USA even much earlier than 2030, in order to have time to get Canada and Mexico as well.

Bigger scale - more detail, more unique objects, much much more development time.
if you hear complaints about monotony,notice easily everywhere the same broken truck, even in a territory as diverse in nature as the United States, then on a larger scale the monotony, will be even more noticeable.(it will become even easier to notice the same broken truck everywhere). And to hide it, it will take a lot more work, those who make new unique objects, those who place them, those who do research.

I understand the benefits of a larger scale. but I also understand the disadvantages that it brings.
a larger scale 1:15 will only work with a large studio, with 4xSCS, with a new game started from scratch. 1:10 will only work with 16xSCS in ATS2.

and seasons, if they are in the plans for implementation in the SCS, we will definitely never see. with increasing scale, increasing the number of unique objects constantly. each object must be made from 4 types of textures (each season), and these are millions of objects even today.
koolizz wrote: 10 Aug 2022 12:05 The whole map would feel better at 1:10, both for occasional players and players able to invest more time. And I wouldn't mind having half the states we have now, if each of them were twice as big. I also wouldn't mind paying more for each DLC. I'm not sure where this notion comes from that the majority of SCS fans are living on scraps lol. Show me the data that backs this claim up.
yes it is you. Are you wondering how many players would play that your looking ATS since 2016 for today? with only half the diversity that we have today. how many of them would have lingered, stayed in the game today, having received only 1 map DLC in 3-4 years.

Yes, it would be possible to release half of the state in 2 years, and the remaining half of the state in another 2 years. But then you can imagine how many complaints about monotony would be. Or how long would the alteration of the same California. when even in 2 years we didn't even get 10% rework from the entire base game even in 1:20 scale.

I think it's worth learning from the mistakes of others. there is Rig 'n' Roll game. in it the State of California is made on a scale of 1:10. But why that game didn't become popular as ATS even in 1:35? how many people plays it today?
each new state brings its own diversity. the more often the better. if once every 4 years, then the game will simply be forgotten by this time. no matter what scale it is.
Travismods

#136 Post by Travismods » 10 Aug 2022 17:40

@AlexxxF1
how many of them would have lingered, stayed in the game today, having received only 1 map DLC in 3-4 years.
Huh? There have been 10 map DLCs released for ATS to date. What I said was that I would be fine with only getting 5 of them since the release of ATS until today, would they have been 1:10 scale maps instead of 1:20. The same amount of map content spread over 5 DLCs at 1:10 scale instead of over 10 at 1:20 scale.

ATS has been out close to 7 years, that would have made it roughly 0.72 DLCs per year or 2-3 map DLCs per 3-4 years. Not sure where you are pulling 1 map DLC per 3-4 years from.
xXCARL1992Xx

#137 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 10 Aug 2022 17:45

because the work for 1:10 is 4x as much as for 1:20, not double as much, the area covered increases 4x not 2 or else it would be 1:15 scale
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Travismods

#138 Post by Travismods » 10 Aug 2022 17:55

Nope. You don't have to treat map spread in a linear fashion. For example you don't have to make as many scenic towns and could still go 1:10. Everything isn't 4x. You could focus on certain corridors. Also, I never claimed the work by SCS would exactly be the same amount. Just stating what I personally would prefer since 1:10 would give more breathing room. I would be totally fine with 5 DLCs instead of 10 today where there was more space in between cities and less scenic town density.

It would take more work at 1:10, but it wouldn't necessarily take 4x more work to make a 1:10 map. Depends on how you make the map really.
xXCARL1992Xx

#139 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 10 Aug 2022 17:59

yes, they have 4x the area to cover, wich means they can add more details to it wich means more work to fill the map out, so yes it means considerably more work to map in 1:10 then in 1:20 by 4x
Max wrote: 16 Jul 2022 16:40 do not forget one minor thing. the map is area.
if the rescaled version should have comparable density, then scale increase would increased the work by square, 1:15 is roughly 2x more work, 1:10 is 4x more work, 1:5 is 16x more work.
on the other hand, the scale 1:20 means we need to choose 1 item from 400 to put into map. other 399 must be thrown away. and with that we need to keep spirit of the place, hiway/cities logic, industry, ...etc. it's quite tough.

yes, theoretically it is possible to make map more sparse, but it does not work actually. either players will object that many things are not there and could be (and it would be true) or mappers themselves will just want to use free space to have cities nicer and bigger (like bit more american). human factor is understandable and kind of funny .. except the part where it might be frustrating .. :D

othwerwise this is really interesting topic - to see opinions and arguments of player base about even such core concept.
thanks everyone.
[ external image ]
Laqueesha

#140 Post by Laqueesha » 10 Aug 2022 18:02

koolizz wrote: 10 Aug 2022 12:05@Laqueesha Complete opposite I'd say, just remove some of the invisible walls in cities. Where we need space is between cities. The rural areas of the game are really horribly condensed.
Good point. One reason the cities feel small is because we can't go into them. A lot of the cities we bypass (like Salt Lake City and Portland); would be nice if we could actually go into them (like Las Vegas and San Francisco).

Return to “General discussion about the game”