If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

1:35
2%
1:20
22%
1:15
19%
1:10
42%
1:5
8%
1:1
8%

Total votes: 212

flight50

Re: If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

#191 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 20:14

No doubting the tree walls, lol. Heck all states East of Texas along with all states above it, I expect tree walls galore. That's when I hope that Reforma style kick in. There must be some fiction to roads to lengthen them though.

It's tree wall states that I hope allows for some road density. You could have a point on cities vs trees. Easy to load up a city with big urban development and feel the vibe of the city. Then a section of space before the next city. I think I -35 gives us a better taste of I-95 than what the Seattle corridor does.

But yeah its probably harder for open space or dense vegetation at 1:20. It will never feel like enough. We'll get a glimpse in East Texas though. If SCS is heading to the Great Lakes, next dense vegetation state is Missouri or Arkansas. What they do they might give a glimpse for the Northeast.
ads678

#192 Post by ads678 » 18 Aug 2022 20:44

VTXcnME wrote: 18 Aug 2022 20:00 @flight50 Yes. I know they theoretically can fit at the current scale, but what's going to be missing the fact that between Montpelier and Burlington is nothing but tree lined roads. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on "looks perfectly fine" concept until I can see what SCS does with it. The current scale is not going to allow these towns to fit and still maintain the open tree lined feel that most of the northeast has. Once you are north of Boston/Lawrence/Worcester area, the density and sprawl of cities changes. 40 mile distance between two places, at game scale. Now you have to get all the prefabs and associated roads in place. 40 miles isn't a significant distance between Burlington and Montpelier. And look at I-89 in google maps, from Montpelier to Burlington. It's almost literally all trees between the two locations. So, yes. I have concerns. As someone who lives in this area, and drives those areas a lot, I have serious concerns as to what will actually fit once SCS starts mapping it. I want to be wrong. I really do, but I'm planning on an unmitigated disaster. It's easier to set my bar there, and anything better than that will be a good thing. Low expectations, low disappointments. At 1:20 there are a lot of parts in the northeast that are going to be TIGHT. With very little in the way of 'real feel' if they are going to have any kind of industry in the marked cities on the map.

Agree to disagree on how good the Northeast will look. I think the fan map that's been made is overly dense in a few places. It's gonna be tree walls everywhere. It's going to be oddly cut/tightly cornered roads to make the scale distances work. I'll defer to your working expertise of Texas and the Dallas/Fort Worth area, if you can give me a half ounce of credit for the northeast. I've lived here the better part of 43 years. Knowing the game scale, and what's here.... It's a wonderful dream, the fan map... but I think it's about 25% overly optimistic with how dense some places are.
I have already explained the choice of some cities in this post viewtopic.php?p=1345578#p1345578
The thing is that I have already removed as many roads and cities in the East as I could, and left bare minimum. Some states have only largest city and capital.
I would never include Montpelier,VT, Frankfort,KY, Annapolis,MD and some other cities if they weren't state capitals. And I will be really surprised if SCS will not include them.
Looking at Washington DLC and what SCS did with Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia area, I'm sure it will be possible in the East. Will it be realistic? Definitely not. But the same can be said about Washington as well.
AlexxxF1

#193 Post by AlexxxF1 » 18 Aug 2022 21:02

If some are afraid of a wall of trees, then in vain. in Europe, entire countries are made of walls with trees. Finland, Sweden, Russia, Germany and etc.
for example, many people are waiting for this in ATS. or fields and plains. This is what many in Europe are accustomed to seeing since childhood and prefer more than deserts.
the number of players in ETS2 is very high, despite the forest walls from the very first countries, since 2012. the forest will allow to hide huge cities literally next to each other after 2 meters. just surround them with dense forest. and driving around them in a truck through the forest, from city to city, without seeing them behind the trees, one gets the feeling that these cities are far from each other.

If it scares how Vermont will be shown. I advise you to wait for the West Balkans DLC for ETS2. there are very small countries with many border crossings.
Look at the same Montenegro 13,8 km2. vs Vermont 24,9 km2. or Slovenia 20,2km2. I wonder really how the SCS will deal with WB DLC for ETS2.

in fact, entire countries - Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, are missing in ETS2. But there are no complaints about this as the map is huge.
In fact, when in ATS we get a huge map, from Coast to Coast, the absence of not the most important cities in the East will be almost unnoticeable and unimportant. and in fact, we will get even the smallest states in ATS, which was not in any 18 steel wheels maps.

[ external image ]
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 18 Aug 2022 21:27, edited 3 times in total.
VTXcnME

#194 Post by VTXcnME » 18 Aug 2022 21:18

Look.... I get it- small is small and might get ignored. If almost rather they skip the tiny states instead of trying to produce them.

I got nothing against tree walls. But they don't make space that doesn't exist. Lol.

@ads678 appreciate your map. I'd love it if it all fit. Some of its overly optimistic.
Trakaplex

#195 Post by Trakaplex » 18 Aug 2022 21:20

AlexxxF1 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 21:02 If some are afraid of a wall of trees, then in vain. in Europe, entire countries are made of walls with trees. Finland, Sweden, Russia, Germany and etc.
for example, many people are waiting for this in ATS. or fields and plains. This is what many in Europe are accustomed to seeing since childhood and prefer more than deserts.
If it scares how Vermont will be shown. I advise you to wait for the West Balkans DLC for ETS2. there are very small countries with many border crossings.
Look at the same Montenegro 13.8 km2. vs Vermont 24.9km2. I wonder really how the SCS will deal with WB DLC for ETS2.

in fact, entire countries - Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, are missing in ETS2. But there are no complaints about this as the map is huge.
In fact, when in ATS we get a huge map, from Coast to Coast, the absence of not the most important cities in the East will be almost unnoticeable and unimportant. and in fact, we will get even the smallest states in ATS, which was not in any 18 steel wheels maps.

Yes, a huge map. And not to forget Europe has a more laid out road system. This creates the advantage to better mapping, and selection. America is very disoriented. But as stated, it is scary because SCS hasn't dealt with small land areas, even in ETS2. I mean Luxembourg is just one city, but seriously, with the Northeast, it's just a massive city in different parts. That's what it looks like to someone comparing the map with Montana. This would mean as I said, it being in 1:20 will be devoid of scenery, especially in Vermont. I-90 in Massachusetts is only 132 miles, which would be only 6-7 in 1:20. This would not provide enough space for all the cities I said, Worcester would be part of Boston, or completely left out to provide space in between Boston and Springfield... imagine you jumping from Massachusetts to New York in two minutes. If they add both Worcester and Springfield, they will have to push Springfield more west which will cut off Pittsfield.

New Haven to Hartford is 40 miles (2 miles in game), I just can't unsee the Northeast not surviving in 1:20. It's about the same distance from Pueblo to Colorado Springs. And they're really close together. But I think if they trample West Balkans, I agree, we could see a clue.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
SouthernMan

#196 Post by SouthernMan » 18 Aug 2022 21:28

It would be nice if they did, somehow, as we go further east, the scale of the map itself gets bigger. But that wouldn't work, as the mileage wouldn't work properly.

But unfortunately there is not much to do, just wait and see how they will make small states. Like, I know they will, but I'm really curious to see what the mapper edits will look like in these small regions where it won't take 2/3 minutes to cross the state(talking about creativity). :lol:

Some time ago I tried to create the NY(City) and Newark(NJ) region, but my head almost exploded because I couldn't think of any way to fit the big cities into the small scale. :lol:
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
flight50

#197 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 23:34

AlexxxF1 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 21:02 If some are afraid of a wall of trees, then in vain. in Europe, entire countries are made of walls with trees. Finland, Sweden, Russia, Germany and etc.
the number of players in ETS2 is very high, despite the forest walls from the very first countries, since 2012.
I've always had the thought of more ETS2 players finally coming over once we get to the Eastern states as its more like what's in ETS2. They still missing out on the West though. Sometimes you have to go outside the box to appreciate it all. By the time SCS gets a bit past the Mississippi River, enough of the dense trees states will be in to see how its going to go. The bonus is the West....if they buy those states. I-80, I-70(ish), I-40 and I-10 will be critical routes C2C. Once to Chicago, SCS is deep into the Midwest at that point. Nothing but dense vegetation.

AlexxxF1 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 21:02 the forest will allow to hide huge cities literally next to each other after 2 meters. just surround them with dense forest. and driving around them in a truck through the forest, from city to city, without seeing them behind the trees, one gets the feeling that these cities are far from each other.
Yeah this is how I see the East going. Lots of cities buried behind tree tunnel roads. East of the central column of states, that's pretty much what we get. The only issue, I can see a ton of people that like the West complaining that it all looks the same. As long as SCS models the right trees, nothing else they can do because that's what real life is.
Tomsun

#198 Post by Tomsun » 19 Aug 2022 14:18

The question is not for a rescaling of the standard map for ATS/ETS2, i would understand it as a question for a project standalone map or even for a successor like ATS2/ETS3.
There are several community products like 1:1 maps for ETS2, for a map of a certain region interesting (several local hauls). The scale of 1:19/1:20 is good for the current Gameengine.

If you want to experience different scales look what standalone maps are available, try them, and if you like them support the mappers who are providing them.

If i would develop a new version i would tend to go 1:10 (but i never tried a map in that scale so far), i'm fine with the actual scale for ATS/ETS2.
55sixxx

#199 Post by 55sixxx » 19 Aug 2022 14:32

flight50 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 23:34 The bonus is the West....if they buy those states. I-80, I-70(ish), I-40 and I-10 will be critical routes C2C. Once to Chicago, SCS is deep into the Midwest at that point. Nothing but dense vegetation.
You're missing I-90. And the part I'm looking forward the most on eastern states are these tree walls because it will be nice to finally get out of deserts and grasslands.
flight50

#200 Post by flight50 » 20 Aug 2022 01:15

^Your right. I didn't include I-90. I had it in there at first but for some reason I removed it when I was typing as I was thinking I-94 only. Which it picks up in Montana and doesn't go C2C.

Return to “General discussion about the game”