If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

1:35
2%
1:20
22%
1:15
19%
1:10
42%
1:5
8%
1:1
8%

Total votes: 212

Vinnie Terranova

Re: If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

#101 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Jul 2022 11:13

AlexxxF1 wrote: 17 Jul 2022 08:26Looking at the poll on the forum, many of the ATS players now are over 50 years old.
About 13% of the people who voted in the poll is over 50 years old, so that's not many. Besides, only about 1300 of about 177.000 registered users have voted; less than 1%. And there are probably more players of ATS and/or ETS2 than those 177.000 registered users. So, how representative is this poll? I don't think you can draw a conclusion like 'many of the ATS players now are over 50 years old'.

But that's ok. Because it's about the time it will take to create the complete US in a smaller scale, like 1:10 for instance. But how important is that? How important is it to drive from coast to coast? Personally I of course will take some jobs from coast to coast. But after I have done that for a few times I very likely will go back to much shorter jobs (max 1000 miles). So for me it's not really that important to be able to drive from coast to coast.

Besides all this, there are two time factors: how much time will it take to create 1:10 scale maps? And how much time do I want to play the game? I don't care how much time it will take for the maps being created; that's something SCS should be thinking about. As a player I'm only interested in how much time I want to put in the game. And here it comes: this is not dependent of scale. If I want to play for 2 hours, I just play for about two hours. I choose a job I can complete in two (realtime) hours.
In a 1:20 scale this would mean that I can do a job from, say, Los Angeles to Salt Lake City. And in a 1:10 scale I can take a job from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. In a 1:10 scale map I can't drive as many miles as in a 1:20 scale map, in the same time. But that's ok. Because a 1:10 scale map is much more detailed than a 1:20 scale map. So, in the end in a 1:10 scale map I will drive twice as little miles, but at the same time, there will be twice as much details. Like twice as much intersections, twice as much marked and unmarked towns, etc.
raskol

#102 Post by raskol » 19 Jul 2022 12:06

why didn't scs software make maps in 1.5, 1.10, 1.15 scale? because it means extra details and a waste of money Then we will say why the map is not released, why the map is twitching, the game is stuttering, if the map scale is enlarged, the extra graphics card will be loaded and it may become unplayable with new graphics. then both players mean loss of money for scs probably scs software thought of this the most reasonable logical 1;20 scale he drew both the graphics are good and the roads are good the game can play the scale made it like that scs software
flight50

#103 Post by flight50 » 19 Jul 2022 12:43

I am sure the same draw distance applies so more detail wouldn't necessarily mean more load on pc. But I will say that at 1:10 scale, don't expect $11.99 dlc's for a single state. At 1:10, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming....they go double the price. So now they are $23.98. How many people are willing to pay that for a single state? People already complained at $11.99 when paid dlc's first hit.

1:10 is a great way to reduce your income and fan base when 1:20 scale is already the norm. What about Texas? It should come in at ETS2 prices for $17.99. So now we have double that. So how many of you are willing to pay $35.98 for Texas? Max stated 1:15 is 2x the work and 1:10 is 4x the work. I just used double figures vs 4x the price as if it was 1:15. You all have to consider everything that factors into the equation. Its not about just getting more details or more road. Think about what all has to change and what all is affected. Nobody wants to pay more even though you get more if we already getting things for $11.99.

I don't expect 100% honest from most of you but if we had to pay double the price, I can promise you a lot more people would be pissed and either stop playing, or only buy when things go on sale. Money has never been an issue for me. Can I afford double the price, yes. But will I for a single state, no. I'd easily pay 14.99 for the current size dlc's that come solo. I'd even pay $25 for Texas but there is a limit for everyone.
VTXcnME

#104 Post by VTXcnME » 19 Jul 2022 13:33

That's the consideration often overlooked/unthought of (myself 100% included in that group). Larger scale = larger price. $11.99 is already a big pill to swallow.... I'd agree that 1:10 or even 1:15 scale is going to go for $15.99-19.99. I know that even for the sq mileage of texas, I'm still not thrilled about the potential price tag of it. Imagine if Texas was 1:10 scale.... $45+ for a single state DLC? LOL. Pretty sure I picked up the base game Washington/Oregon/New Mexico/Utah along with wheel packs and a few of the paint jobs for a sum total of about $50 while things were on sale. LOL.

Nah... I know that I'm not happy about what has to get left out at 1:19 scale, and wish it was 1:15 myself, but admittedly I don't think I'd pay more per state. Only time I'd really advocate for a scale change is when they get out east (New England specifically). That's a long ways off and as much as it concerns me what will inevitably have to get left out at 1:19.... it's going to be what its going to be.
Vinnie Terranova

#105 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Jul 2022 14:30

1:10 Scale doesn't necessarely mean 4 times the work, even if stated by Max. Because what about the following hypothetical situation: ATS2 is in 1:10 scale. The map however contains only marked cities and interstates. No unmarked cities and (almost) no US highways. This would mean a twice as much scale but at the same time a twice as sparse road network. But because the game is moddable, the modding community could fill in the US highways and unmarked cities. Basically what SCS is doing in this hypothetical situation is providing a base map that only contains the marked cities and interstates. Leave the rest to the modders.
flight50

#106 Post by flight50 » 19 Jul 2022 14:42

No doubt. A larger scale in theory sounds great. But from being on here for a few years, I see that a lot of people just can't afford a higher price tag. Some people don't play ATS because the maps are expensive. They come solo and a lot of people seem to think every state will be $11.99 and they don't even bother to invest not thinking about bundles or that states get smaller and pricing could change.

To add to that, a lot of people rather drive the easier cab overs. Some don't like the lack of mod support. Others don't like the smaller map playing field which is catching up quick to ETS2. The truck roster has greatly improved so its not that anymore. But price is a huge factor for many. We have people that don't even have jobs or on fixed incomes and don't have much to spare. For the peace of mind ATS offers, the current prices is a bargain. The last thing ATS needs is lack of support. For me, the last thing I want from ATS is SCS can't afford to keep it going. That would be more devastating to me. So I'm cool as is. If they can figure out how to get the East to 1:17 at least, that is about the best could happen. It will require a lil distortion but they might be able to pull it off. Without some break tech to get to 1:15 in the East, we could just be facing 1:20 for the entire game. A lot more would be missing but we have to pretty much expect that. ETS2 has some small states and things seem to work out there. But ETS2 doesn't have town centers and massive interstates running thru them either. So we'll just have to see what SCS plans.

Simply put, ATS just requires a lot more space so a lot is effected and not affected.

@Vinnie Terranova The main issue with that statement is mod community. Not everyone plays with mods so that can't be part of the solution. Mods are bonus..not required and should never be a plan for solutions. SCS has to make everything for vanilla and just give the mod community the ability to make things on top of what they do. But why limit ATS2 to anything less than we have now. Only thing 1:10 should add is more space to do what they do now, not limit the scene. That is doing the opposite of what everyone wants. People want more scenery. Basically more of no civilization. That's the fill in stuff that people want more of. No US highways or state roads is bad. That removes density that 1:10 can bring. People are not looking for a C2C looking map. People want SCS 2022 standards for everything but just at a larger scale.
Vinnie Terranova

#107 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Jul 2022 15:34

Yeah I know, this modding idea will not work; there is no guarantee that the modded parts will have the same quality of the parts that are made by SCS.
flight50

#108 Post by flight50 » 19 Jul 2022 15:51

Yep and that is the biggest reason I pretty much only run ProMods Canada now. Too many different quality levels out there. Not to degrade anyone but I appreciate the level of SCS with their improving mapping skills. No waiting on mod updates and fairly consistent with quality. Fewer bugs like floating stuff and gaps in the terrain. SCS is far from perfect, but they are consistent enough for me to enjoy without the hassle. When ProMods isn't update yet, I play my original profile with fewer mods that don't break. Most times, I just want to continue a profile that I know I can pick up and play anytime without worry about something breaking on an update. So the more SCS does, the better.

I rather have them maintenance stuff because I know in order to release for updates, it all has to be compatible and it usually is. Excluding open betas because they are not public. But its rare to see something not work for public releases for the vanilla game. Mods is what break, not so much the vanilla updates we get.
drmagnumwolf

#109 Post by drmagnumwolf » 09 Aug 2022 07:31

Big enough to make the hills work and do its magic. Right now the trucks, even at the lower end of the horsepower spectrum barely feels the hills when climbing, and I barely feel the need to use the retarder or the engine brake. To the point that I purposefully choose the weakest engine I can find and install them to feel then Challenge and pull of the hill, even then it is barely there.
flight50

#110 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 08:28

I have to downshift a lot in my truck. It also depends on the weight of cargo you haul. If you are pulling 50,000 lbs or more, you'll feel it more. Most of my loads are on the high range of things. If I recall correctly my truck is setup with 500hp as a day cab. I pull hills like I'd expect honestly.

Return to “General discussion about the game”