If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

1:35
2%
1:20
22%
1:15
19%
1:10
42%
1:5
8%
1:1
8%

Total votes: 213

Madkine
Global moderator

Re: If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

#91 Post by Madkine » 17 Jul 2022 01:04

gaillard wrote: 16 Jul 2022 20:27 Just add empty space.
If you mean literally anything other than what you wrote (black void beside the road), then that space it not empty and requires mappers to place each object on the map.
I'm assuming you want something better than what C2C provides and that takes effort. (And rescaling actually takes more effort than building from scratch.)
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
flight50

#92 Post by flight50 » 17 Jul 2022 01:58

seriousmods wrote: 16 Jul 2022 21:48 Oh, come on lol. Taking five minutes to get between cities as opposed to two is not even close to doing it for real.
The point is a lot of you want a lot more space and complain when SCS misses tons of things due to scale. If you want missing grades, mountains, junctions....you might as well see it all for real. Every new road or map that comes, there is always someone saying " I can't believe they missed this" or that missed that". Anything other than 1:1 and mayyyybe 1:5 will have misses. 1:5 could be equal to now. More is there but truncated.
SouthernMan

#93 Post by SouthernMan » 17 Jul 2022 02:03

Well, speaking for myself, I'm not complaining that they missed something important in the setting, I'm just saying that the horizontal setting should have more depth.

And it is obvious that a scale other than 1:1 will not have all the details. There are many things that SCS mappers can still improve on, and that's also not to say that I or anyone else wants to know more than SCS.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#94 Post by Optional Features » 17 Jul 2022 04:55

flight50 wrote: 17 Jul 2022 01:58 The point is a lot of you want a lot more space and complain when SCS misses tons of things due to scale. If you want missing grades, mountains, junctions....you might as well see it all for real. Every new road or map that comes, there is always someone saying " I can't believe they missed this" or that missed that". Anything other than 1:1 and mayyyybe 1:5 will have misses. 1:5 could be equal to now. More is there but truncated.
Real roadtrips are a ton of fun, but the game doesn't need to be 1:1. It needs to be large enough to properly represent an area as it appears irl.

I will go back to my favorite example: I-5. I-5 at 1:10 scale would have twice as much room between cities which would allow the inclusion of at least one missing mountain pass, more farmland (horribly underrepresented in game), a large grain installation and sawmill perhaps, and more.

Instead, it is squished from top to bottom, featuring an unrealistically urban, flat, and not exactly scenic view of the West.

That doesn't mean I want to drive 10 real hours to get somewhere. But I would love to be able to appreciate a digital version of the place that hinted more at the place than is currently possible.

Wyoming is another example. 25 minutes or so to cross a state that takes six hours to drive through irl. It shouldn't be six hours in game, but I wouldn't mind 35-40 minutes if that meant Wyoming felt like a wide open place instead of a series of cities.
Optional Features

#95 Post by Optional Features » 17 Jul 2022 05:05

Madkine wrote: 17 Jul 2022 01:04
gaillard wrote: 16 Jul 2022 20:27 Just add empty space.
If you mean literally anything other than what you wrote (black void beside the road), then that space it not empty and requires mappers to place each object on the map.
I'm assuming you want something better than what C2C provides and that takes effort. (And rescaling actually takes more effort than building from scratch.)
I think he means open land as opposed to constant structures, small towns, and cities. Most of the map is covered with decorative buildings and areas that are just wide open are either not represented or compressed almost out of existence.

These three pics represent about 2.5-3 hours of open range driving irl. One area is completely missing from the map, and the other two are in the shadow of dominating cities. From the perspective of non residents (which the SCS map team is comprised of), America is very urban. Irl, America is incredibly rural. Even between San Fran and Sacramento is a long section of open farmland (very smelly). Those are two significant cities, but in between, you'd never know.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Madkine
Global moderator

#96 Post by Madkine » 17 Jul 2022 07:55

The point remains the same, mappers still need to edit each and every sector, place trees, shrubs, road markers etc. Even sparse areas like this still take effort.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Optional Features

#97 Post by Optional Features » 17 Jul 2022 08:08

Absolutely, but there is much less work in a section of road like this (if properly represented as sparsely inhabited) than in a city. All mapping takes work, and the SCS map editor isn't exactly easy, at least not for a noob like me.
AlexxxF1

#98 Post by AlexxxF1 » 17 Jul 2022 08:26

Well, in ETS2 we don't have whole countries due to the scale, such as Monaco, Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatican.

If we don't have 2 states out of 50 in ATS ( Rhode Island and Delaware ) it is not critical for me, since they do not represent any industrial giants and centers and are used less often than others for transit or delivery of goods.As compensation for their absence, I would prefer to get Hawaii and Alaska.

Even to get a 1:15 scale would require twice as much waiting time per state. But then complaints will begin again that the scale is small (that a lot of things are missing) and let's switch to a scale of 1:10. (so it seems to me that using a scale of 1:15 is a waste of time and effort.it is better not to waste time on 1:15 and immediately then 1:15 use and build in 1:10 scale).
But 1:10 scale - this is already x4 times more waiting time for each state. :arrow: and x4 times higher price for each DLC- and most would just expect discounts all the time and SCS only would just lose money all the time. I think this should also be taken into account.

And even for 4 years for a small state....graphic standards change a little. Therefore, using a scale of 1:10 makes sense, as for me, only when it allows you to create 1-2 DLC with a similar size every year.
Therefore, I still believe that it is more realistic 1:10 scale only in ATS2, with new graphic standards, improving and refining the ATS as a base, and using new technologies in the future that will automate the process of building a map using the same Open Street View Maps :idea: .
In ATS2, we will be able to follow the same path. Having received California Nevada Arizona but already on a new scale of 1:10.
And than again get 2-3 DLCs per year, such as Oregon, Washington, Utah and etc., , only at 1:10 scale.

it's just that if you start doing it now, then I definitely won't be able to fulfill my dream for another 30 years, to ride from Coast to Coast in the USA. And Pavel will never fulfill his dream of getting to Florida that all next 30 years :D .
Looking at the poll on the forum, many of the ATS players now are over 50 years old. viewtopic.php?t=89881&hilit=how+age
You can’t deprive them of their dreams ) ride from coast to coast )

Lucky today for those who are 20 years old, by their 50 years old they will be able to ride in ATS2 already on a scale of 1:10, from Coast to Coast) unlike many of us :lol: )
( although if new technologies and developments allow, this may happen even earlier) The same appearance of quantum computers would completely change the modern world)

We must thank God that in our world, in the gaming industry, there is such a company as SCS)) who does something like this, builds with such love and detail, doing a lot of research. that they have such love for their child.
After all, I am absolutely sure that most even Megacorporations like Ubisoft or EA or other would not even bother and would build on the principle of copy paste. yes, and this is clearly visible even in their games, like the same Assassin's Creed, where the same Egypt or the same England, Norway were made without research, without recreating historical maps, roads, but simply using the copy-paste principle. These games don't feel any realism or zeitgeist. Yes, they are building huge game worlds in a short time. only they have absolutely no soul.
Much cooler historical game again from a small Czech studio in Prague ( Warhorse Studios ) - Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Funny, that today, small studios create more amazing games than various mega-corporations, who has billions of money, and build without a soul, without a heart.

Yes, I understand that at 1:10 ATS would have felt cooler. But I also understand that this is not entirely realistic at the moment.
Our ATS could be on a scale of 1:35 and then today we would already have 70% of the US territories. And some of the thousands who play ATS would prefer this rather than 1:20 scale and 30% of only one US. When we finally get just 60% of the US in ATS at 1:20, at 1:35 we could have the entire US and part of Mexico or Canada.

:arrow: What frustrates me the most is the rate of release of DLC for both- ETS and ATS.
Increase the scale, and hence the waiting time by 2-4 times .... that is, 2-4 times less reason to return to the game....when every DLC release is a real holiday for me, I look forward to it with incredible trepidation and anticipation, and I get tremendous pleasure from acquiring and driving through new territories, roads, new routes, alternative and longer trips.
therefore, for me personally, at the moment, the scale of 1:20 is an excellent golden mean.
angrybirdseller

#99 Post by angrybirdseller » 17 Jul 2022 09:19

Rhode Island can still fit city in the game and couple unmarked towns same with Delaware at 1:20 scale. There won't be ATS2 or ETS2 as you can sell DLC with different industries along with downstream companies to replace the current ones on the map. Can build map based more on the emphasis on the mining industry or map based on agricultural industry. You can rebuild same map at the current map with different local roads remove some to roads to replace with some local state and county roads. The expansion of 1:10 scale there is no financial benefit with current technology and if the technology becomes available it may not be profitable enough to pursue. Also, SCS can spin off current map and rebuild it so it tourism simulator with RV and passenger cars at current scale. Think will see other regions in the world before will ever at 1:10 or even 1:15 map if you map larger map for ATS then ETS2 would get it as well that makes no sense at all right now or even possibly in the future.
clifflandmark

#100 Post by clifflandmark » 17 Jul 2022 09:43

Do you know Test Drive Unlimited? I never thought how Hawaii would be mapped. That would be fantastic in 1:5.

Return to “General discussion about the game”