Cervellotica Physics R24/01/27 - Tyre Spring Delete

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
fratrac

Cervellotica Physics R24/01/27 - Tyre Spring Delete

#1 Post by fratrac » 28 Jun 2022 17:48

Personal physics mod project, thought it could be worth sharing. It's based on gamepad/joystick use, keyboard should benefit too, steering wheel should be fine but I have no idea
Some commands have to be issued through the game's console, you can find how to enable it here viewtopic.php?t=61852; if you want to edit the physics file, 7zip and Notepad are everything you need. This mod is not locked so you can play around with it, I've added my personal comments to the code which might be interesting

One special thing this mod fixes is the tyre stiffness simulation. The default longitudinal tyre stiffness parameter is out of place enough to mess up everything from the ground up (literally). It seems like the truck's mass is "pulled" around by the "contact patch" of the tire, the two being connected by a (soft) spring. The Spring Delete increases this spring's stiffness to make the wrong effects of the spring negligible. Anyone is free to add the longitudinal tyre stiffness fix to their physics mod and I really encourage to do so

Cervellotica Physics comes in two versions: Cervellotica Physics Complete has everything I've been working on, while the Spring Delete version only has the tyre spring delete
Your truck will never feel the same :) Both version are available on the Steam workshop

Setup, for complete version only (updated for new 1.48 sliders; mod manager description updated too)
  • MANDATORY: console command "g_cabin_suspension_stiffness -2.6"
    you MUST issue this command into the console BEFORE going to your truck; you can safely do that from your profile's main menu. If this command is issued before enabling the mod, you shouldn't encounter issues apart from the cab behaving a little funny. Adjusting the cabin suspension stiffness slider will override the value previously specified through the console!
  • Set truck suspension stiffness, truck stability and trailer stability sliders to 0% but then feel free to play around with those
  • Console command "g_brake_intensity 1.0" or set braking intensity slider 100%, then you can tweak it to your liking
  • gamepad users only steering sensitivity should be set at roughly 0.50, steering non-linearity 0.00, steering animation 1900°; keyboard users should set steering sensitivity at roughly 0.30, then adjust to their liking (non-zero steering non-linearity should help too)
  • Interior camera horizontal lock > 100% is highly recommended. Enabling physical camera movement is recommended too
Features
Both versions
- tyre spring delete: increased longitudinal tyre stiffness for better brakes and accelerator control & more realistic suspension reaction to gear shifting, driveshaft torque, accelerating/stopping & better manual clutch feel
Complete version only
- Gamepad steering sensitivity and autocentering
- Drastically reduced fifth wheel (and spreader) joint roll allowance for visual coherence with gameplay
- Soft but dampened suspension, no wobbling (unfortunately the game engine still lacks proper suspension constraint simulation)
- Clutch and torque converter viscosity (kinda)
- Tweaked lateral tyre stiffness (probably)
- Tyre slip factors

Known issues updated 2024\01\27
- Complete version sometimes when hitting a sharp bump (rail crossing, etc) the cabin physical camera might not move smoothly, though it doesn't seem to cause other issues
- auto transmission will get stuck upshifting/downshifting between the same two gears, now a bit less?

Paste the .zip archive in your Documents\ETS2\mod folder and enable it in Mod Manager. Any feedback is always welcome

Releases - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -

Cervellotica Physics R24\01\27 - Spring Delete Only the Spring Delete - this is a must have honestly :]
https://sharemods.com/3dnm86pybe50/Cerv ... e.zip.html
new - tuned longitudinal tyre stiffness value

Cervellotica Physics R24\01\27 - Complete All the (hopefully) old good stuff
https://sharemods.com/12gk9mj4wrjl/Cerv ... e.zip.html
new - cabin and chassis suspension, gamepad/keyboard steering, brakes, tyre spring delete tuning
new - tyre slip factors (locking up the brakes should be a bit easier)
fixed - auto transmission won't get stuck shifting between two gears (probably?)

History - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -

- R2022\06\28 - Initial release
- R2022\07\03 - Tire lateral stiffness + dampening tweaking is back so that steering isn't F1-like sharp, the new values shouldn't cause instability. Feel free to play a little with all the suspension/stability sliders (except the cabin one) to adapt the physics to your truck configuration. g_suspension_stiffness values < 0 are also accepted
- R2023\06\06 - New steering autocentering, less cabin pitch + see mod description in mod manager :D
- R2023\09\27 - Tyre spring delete is here!!! I cannot understate this lol. Now two variants, the Complete one and the Spring Delete only one; ATS Spring Delete version is coming too
- R2023\09\28 - Minor tweaks, sorry for releasing for two days in a row. ATS Spring Delete version released too :)
- R2023\10\13 - higher cabin COG, reworked suspension, brakes curve closer to default; simplified spring delete in the Spring Delete version
- R2023\10\26 - reworked steering sensitivity and autocentering; Spring Delete version released on Steam
- R2023\10\26 - steam version will be updated when 1.49 is released
- R2023\11\25 - removed unnecessary cabin mass modification
- R2024\01\27 - general improvements, new comments added to the code
Last edited by fratrac on 30 Jan 2024 17:22, edited 46 times in total.
physics.scs --> "bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0" for throttle/brake responsiveness
I overexplain always and only for fear of being unclear
Milan1NL

Re: Cervellotica Physics R23/06/06

#2 Post by Milan1NL » 19 Sep 2023 09:25

Wow thanks for this! 😃👌🏼
***My English is not very good with spelling or something like that***
[ external image ]
ETS2 gamer since the first day when it comes out!
My Screenshot topic | My World Of Trucks
[ external image ]
fratrac

Re: Cervellotica Physics R23/06/06

#3 Post by fratrac » 21 Sep 2023 11:16

@Milan1NL I hope it's good :)
physics.scs --> "bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0" for throttle/brake responsiveness
fratrac

Re: Cervellotica Physics R23/09/27 - the Great Spring Delete

#4 Post by fratrac » 27 Sep 2023 16:31

To anyone who wants to, please consider setting the bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor parameter in your physics file at values higher than 10. In this mod I have set it at 100 (without changing the dampening value) and it seems to do the job without instability. Feel free to include this fix in your publicly released mod too

Anyone playing ETS2/ATS should have that parameter modified, this game deserves it so much :)
Last edited by fratrac on 27 Jan 2024 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Kaog

Re: Cervellotica Physics R23/10/13 - Tyre Spring Delete

#5 Post by Kaog » 24 Oct 2023 22:02

@fratrac Friend, I don't know any English and with the translator it's not clear to me which version is better.
fratrac

#6 Post by fratrac » 24 Oct 2023 22:15

@Kaog The "Spring Delete" version only adds the fix for the tyre springiness and it's better if you want to play as close to default as possible.
The "Complete" version is better if you want to upgrade everything else too.

There isn't a version better than the other, it's for your personal preference 8-)
Kaog

#7 Post by Kaog » 24 Oct 2023 22:59

@fratrac So "Spring Delete" does not require any configuration?
fratrac

#8 Post by fratrac » 25 Oct 2023 12:25

@Kaog exactly. probably you will have to adjust your game settings after you enable it but that's up to you
Kaog

#9 Post by Kaog » 25 Oct 2023 14:10

@fratrac When using it with the default settings it does feel a bit more rigid, even that camera effect when braking is a bit abrupt. 😅
fratrac

#10 Post by fratrac » 25 Oct 2023 18:15

@Kaog yes, that's how it's meant to be :)
without the Spring Delete modification, the truck's acceleration and deceleration are delayed. How the truck feels without the modification is what's really wrong. I needed some time to get used to it too, but after some time it feels much more natural than the game without modification. I recommend adjusting the braking intensity slider (together with driving style)
Last edited by fratrac on 26 Oct 2023 11:05, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Physics”