Tweaking SCS Trailer Paintjob

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Gootho717

Tweaking SCS Trailer Paintjob

#1 Post by Gootho717 » 01 Jul 2022 16:56

Moved to help requests as this is not a mod release

Hello truckers:

I am a vanilla player (zero experience with modding / skinning) and I was wondering how difficult it will be to take an SCS trailer paintjob and tweak it a little bit in order to match the paintjob on my truck?

So here is the story:

My Peterbilt 389 has the "Striped" paintjob - white being the main color, blue on the stripes, and a gold trim color around the stripes.

[ external image ]

The trailer paintjob that matches very close to this one is the "Express" but it doesn't have a gold trim around the stripes, only a big stripe at the bottom (that I turn white).

[ external image ]

If it is too complicated to create and maintain (since it is a mod, I will have to create a second profile and after an update check if the mod breaks / crashes the game right?) then I will probably just keep running it like I have been, so I am just curious as to the process.

Thank you in advance!

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Gootho Transportation - My WoTr Profile
Underscore_101_

Re: Tweaking SCS Trailer Paintjob

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 02 Jul 2022 05:23

Tbh, it would probably be easier to learn skinning and make your own paint job from it which you have to do anyway to get this done :-)

To edit this specific paint job you need to extract base.scs with the scs exctractor, find the paint job here: vehicle\trailer_owned\upgrade\paintjob\scs_box\paintjob_bx5.

You can find base.scs here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\American Truck Simulator
And the scs extractor here, there's also a lot of modding info to find there including making paint jobs:
https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Docume ... _Extractor

It's an RGB based paint job which means you have 3 colours Red, Green and Blue plus the base colour, in the SCS paint job 1 of the stripes is Blue, Change that to Green, and then add the lines you want in Blue.
edit: If you want the red line also in the same style as the other 3 stripes then change that also to Green and add the lines in Blue./edit

Once you have that done you need to create the mod with this file (and name) structure: yourmodname\vehicle\trailer_owned\upgrade\paintjob\scs_box\paintjob_bx5\pjm_at_4096x6144_size_4096x2048.dds

"pjm_at_4096x6144_size_4096x2048" is the name of the paint job.
That should replace the SCS paint job in game.

Hope I didn't forget anything important,... another edit, though I use Photoshop I suggest using paint . net :https://www.getpaint.net/download.html because that has a .dds plugin built in.

note: this only changes the 53' trailer, you'd have to do the same for the other trailers.

You also need to edit the front and back of the trailer (this is for all sizes and only needs to be done once):
pjm_at_0x0_size_1024x1024.dds and pjm_at_0x1024_size_1024x1024.dds
Gootho717

#3 Post by Gootho717 » 02 Jul 2022 16:04

Instead of replacing the SCS paint job how would I this one to the list? Anything I did to do differently?
[ external image ]
Underscore_101_

#4 Post by Underscore_101_ » 03 Jul 2022 05:36

That is a bit too much to explain here, but there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to make a standalone paint job.

To create the mod there are also some nice apps that can help you with that.
There's this by Carsmaniac: viewtopic.php?t=282956, there are links to templates in the first post and there's also a guide on how to in the 2nd post there, and there's Mods Studio2: https://www.mods.studio/
Gootho717

#5 Post by Gootho717 » 03 Jul 2022 13:03

Ok I'll give it a try - thank you so much!
[ external image ]

Return to “Help requests”