Transmission Gear Shifts

Jaktviggen

Transmission Gear Shifts

#1 Post by Jaktviggen » 05 Jul 2022 16:08

Hello,

I am rather new to ATS and I purchased a wheel a few days ago as I was playing on a controller for the first few days I got it. I’m unsure if the issue is from the wheel and shifter or it has to do with the transmission. But anyways it seems that my truck struggles to reach highway speeds, and the transmission asks for gear changes very quickly. I did a job from Redding, CA to Lamar, CO and the truck I used didn’t go past 45mph which in turned caused me to be rather late, I was carrying a tractor and the transmission was a 10 speed on an International. I also have a Volvo 300, with a Eaton 18 speed and a I believe a Volvo 345 engine, and the first 6 gears are asked immediately, and I am barely going like 35mph, and the remaining gears seems to want to hang around 55mph.

Sorry if this was long, I am rather new to the trucking game and manual transmissions I just would like to understand why it’s suddenly not wanting to go highway speeds. Which when I was playing on my controller I could easily reach highways speeds on heavier loads.

Thank you!
rookie31st

Re: Transmission Gear Shifts

#2 Post by rookie31st » 06 Jul 2022 02:26

You didn't mention splitter and range switch in your description. Do you have buttons assigned?
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Jaktviggen

#3 Post by Jaktviggen » 06 Jul 2022 02:33

rookie31st wrote: 06 Jul 2022 02:26 You didn't mention splitter and range switch in your description. Do you have buttons assigned?
Yes I do have a splitter/range switch. I have them assigned accordingly to go from 1st to 6th, 7th to 12th and 13th to 18th. But even then when I reach 16th gear it wants to hang around 50mph and at times the RPMs don’t pick up and hang around 15.
rookie31st

#4 Post by rookie31st » 06 Jul 2022 06:25

1st to 6th, 7th to 12th and 13th to 18th?

That's not how I remember 18-speed gearbox but its been years since I played using the shifter. In any case, my G25 behaved like real gearbox - position 1 and 2 were acting as Reverse and Low, and positions 3-4-5-6 were forward gears 1-2-3-4 and 5-6-7-8, interchanging using the range switch. Each of the gears by default was L (Low) and could be shifted to H (High) if needed using a splitter.
Jaktviggen

#5 Post by Jaktviggen » 06 Jul 2022 06:37

rookie31st wrote: 06 Jul 2022 06:25 1st to 6th, 7th to 12th and 13th to 18th?

That's not how I remember 18-speed gearbox but its been years since I played using the shifter. In any case, my G25 behaved like real gearbox - position 1 and 2 were acting as Reverse and Low, and positions 3-4-5-6 were forward gears 1-2-3-4 and 5-6-7-8, interchanging using the range switch. Each of the gears by default was L (Low) and could be shifted to H (High) if needed using a splitter.
I’m using the “Ranged” gear set up for my shifter and that’s how it goes, since I’m new to ATS and I’m pretty unfamiliar with manual transmissions I chose that one. Should I change it to “Splitter” configuration or “Ranged-Splitter” configuration to get higher speeds? Because sitting between 45-50mph in a 65+mph zone is getting annoying. I figured that my engine should be powerful enough to pull even the most basic load, but again I’m unsure if it’s because of the transmission or the transmission setting I have it on.

Could the lack of speed also come from the shifter though and gear selection? Because when I was playing with my XBOX controller I had it on sequential since thats what’s recommended for controller, and I had no problem reaching highways speeds.
rookie31st

#6 Post by rookie31st » 06 Jul 2022 21:52

I've been using "Ranged-Splitter", I assume since I had buttons assigned for both splitter and range switch. I was using the splitter only when needed, with heavier loads or hills. to switch from L to H within the same gear if switching to a higher gear right away wouldn't work well. With lighter loads and flat roads, I was skipping splitting and was often skipping gears as well, going from 1L to 3L and ranging up to 5L, and then going 6L-7L-8L-8H.
Jaktviggen

#7 Post by Jaktviggen » 07 Jul 2022 05:10

rookie31st wrote: 06 Jul 2022 21:52 I've been using "Ranged-Splitter", I assume since I had buttons assigned for both splitter and range switch. I was using the splitter only when needed, with heavier loads or hills. to switch from L to H within the same gear if switching to a higher gear right away wouldn't work well. With lighter loads and flat roads, I was skipping splitting and was often skipping gears as well, going from 1L to 3L and ranging up to 5L, and then going 6L-7L-8L-8H.
Thank you! After messing around with it I managed to get that set up using the Eaton Fuller 18 speed. And now it picks up speed better, I have the Low and High gears now.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”