Bring back orginal gas stations

GinXeng

Re: Bring back orginal gas stations

#51 Post by GinXeng » 31 Jul 2022 08:32

Its not pointless, thank you for bring more attention to the thread. Discussion NOT over.
jab98

#52 Post by jab98 » 01 Aug 2022 02:04

Not pointless per se, but it’s not necessarily practical to seek out licensing for real gas stations. Unlike trucks and trailers I don’t feel like anyone actually derives any benefits from licensed gas stations, but yet scs will have to pay all the fees associated with it.

As far as bringing back the old brands go you don’t have to be a copyright/trademark law expert to realize some of the names were too close for comfort. Whether scs was actually in violation of any laws or not companies certainly could have tried to issue cease and desist orders and drug them into a protracted legal battle that honestly wouldn’t have been worth it even if they won.
harishw8r

#53 Post by harishw8r » 01 Aug 2022 02:13

Or what if some company actually warned them? We don’t know what could have happened, and these are things that cannot be shared in a public space as well but nevertheless still a possibility…
jab98

#54 Post by jab98 » 01 Aug 2022 02:53

werewoooooooolf wrote: 01 Aug 2022 02:13 Or what if some company actually warned them? We don’t know what could have happened, and these are things that cannot be shared in a public space as well but nevertheless still a possibility…
That’s likely what happened. I believe a few updates back the Pedro (Petro) truckstop changed to Fusion or something like that, so I assume that probably played a part in it.
trainguy_gaming

#55 Post by trainguy_gaming » 01 Aug 2022 21:23

GinXeng wrote: 26 Jul 2022 11:20 Seriously, I don't like it. I'm sure others feel the same way. These new ones look more generic than ever killing the some what realism they would bring to the game.
I like the way the gas stations look now :)
angrybirdseller

#56 Post by angrybirdseller » 01 Aug 2022 21:36

The fuel islands look more detailed and better with new companies, and someday may be to watch tv while pumping fuel like real newer real life ones.
trainguy_gaming

#57 Post by trainguy_gaming » 01 Aug 2022 21:42

angrybirdseller wrote: 01 Aug 2022 21:36 The fuel islands look more detailed and better with new companies, and someday may be to watch tv while pumping fuel like real newer real life ones.
I agree with you
flight50

#58 Post by flight50 » 01 Aug 2022 21:56

I'd rather SCS take precaution so that ATS can continue to exist. The last thing I want is no new content coming for ATS because they need to fight a lawsuit. That could mean loss of funds to pay their ever growing team. The player base for ATS is not as large as ETS2 so could ATS survive that hit? No telling. I'd rather not find out and I'm sure that is what SCS was thinking. True that they could ask people for branding. No telling what they were told if they did attempt. But for gas stations, its all or nothing. We can't have a mix of real brands and fake ones. At this point, beyond manufacturers in the trucking business, its best to have fake everything. If its something pertaining to or on a truck/trailer, then real branding is not necessary. If SCS makes money off of something, that is when licensing is critical. We drive the trucks, its a focus of the game. We attach trailers, they too are part of the truck once attached. Some cargoes can be licensed as well. Others are fictional which is why they even changed up several cargoes years ago.

I like the old gas stations myself but if its a matter of getting sued, bye bye old gas stations. Mod it is. Just like anything else that has changed in the game, you adapt or find a solution to fit your needs if you want to continue playing. There was a point in time when I couldn't play without real company mods myself. Once P16 left the modding world, I had a difficult time not using his 3d logo mod. I struggled and I almost wanted to quit ATS because I thought the fake names were silly. I ended up using Grimes logos for a minute but the best solution I came of with...........adapt to what SCS uses. When each new map brought new companies, I had to wait on a mod update. That grew tiresome.

Now I have zero issues after I realized that I'm missing out on relaxing and having fun just because I thought I couldn't do without real company mods. I'm even thinking about completely ditching SiSl's awesome real company's trailers mods. I really don't need it but I keep it because the mod rarely ever breaks now since 1.32 brought owned trailers and 1.40 updated the lighting. No issues since those 2 updates. Once ATS adds some much much much much needed company diversity across the board, I really don't need that mod anymore. I've adapted. We are all capable of adapting unless we want to remain stubborn and refuse to. But that willingness to adapt and accept is harder for some. But I can assure you, its like a switch. Adapting is a personal decision. No point in debating if SCS stated why the changed. They are not going to go back and reverse and risk what they are trying to build. They have a platform now and willing partners in the trucking industry. If one is not part of the trucking industry to make real branding worth it, no point in paying for a license that is only about visual for gratification. I'd rather SCS spend money on licenses where it matters.
angrybirdseller

#59 Post by angrybirdseller » 01 Aug 2022 22:17

Logo never bugged me so much as they always change and gas station change names and logo all the time. Been years since I saw Amoco or Sinclair gas station now its all Speedway and Kwik Trips. The lawsuit defense will cost lots not worth it for ATS or ETS2. Think lighting update done and future visuals will require reworking of assets in the future.
Last edited by angrybirdseller on 01 Aug 2022 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
TexasWhirlwind

#60 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 01 Aug 2022 22:36

Yes I agree. Bring back the original gas stations.
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”