question

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
spartan1178299

question

#1 Post by spartan1178299 » 26 Jul 2022 13:32

hello to all, here I am using free mods, but there are also paid mods that I do not use, and so here is my question do modders have the right to charge for mods that he created ?

bonjour a toutes et a tous, voila j'utilise des mods gratuit, mais il y a aussi des mods payant que je n'utilise pas, et donc voici ma question les moddeur on t'il le droit de faire payer les mods qu'il crée ?
Some newbie driver

Re: question

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Jul 2022 22:41

SCS doesn't allow to charge for mods for the game, period. They consider it people taking profit over SCS work. Even if the mod would be 100% done from scratch, it would require anyway SCS software and provided info to be used (thus, there will still be an unauthorized third-party profit over SCS products). Not to mention paid mods that are pure scams or paid mods that have content ripped from other mods that originally were free and some other nasty things done in the wilder parts of Internet.

Of course, that doesn't prevent people to do what they are not allowed to. And it's up to you what to do regarding those paid mods.

Regards
ChiliBeef

#3 Post by ChiliBeef » 27 Jul 2022 13:08

@spartan1178299 A lot of paid mods are poorly put together, as it is. They may look nice on the outside but inside they are full of outdated attributes, badly made textures, extremely high polygon count, poorly optimized, junk from other mods and just slapped together, and haven't been updated for a long time. Also, a lot of the modders who sell their stuff off websites (the most common type of website you'll see will have the name Infinity Zeros at the very bottom of the page) are non-responsive or scam artists, providing broken mods and not bothering to fix or refund you, as Some Newbie Driver mentioned.

You can almost always find the same "payware" on the typical free download mod sites, but I would be very hesitant in just downloading anything if you're not familiar with what modder names to avoid. And, if you're not familiar with how the coding is in the game (C#) and willing to "fix" the junk, save yourself the headache, and go with ones that are still active on this forum.

Some people do end up "fixing" some of those mods to make them work better, but they never really upload those to share publicly for obvious reasons.
You can write almost any way you want, and you might make yourself understood.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
Axel Slingerland

#4 Post by Axel Slingerland » 22 Oct 2022 06:48

That having been said, and the fact that you should remember that "A fool and his money are soon parted", you should also watch where you download free mods from. Nearly all mods have a notice in their docs that say something to the effect of "Please do not upload this mod to other hosting sites." However, some people don't care any more about that than they do the fact that SCS doesn't allow paid mods. They do whatever they want to, and one way they make money is by copying other people's mods and putting them on sites that pay then a small fee per download.

There are a lot of websites with ETS2 and ATS mods, and a good way to know which mods are good, and whether they are "stolen" or not is by coming here first before you download them. If a lot of people here like a mod, I would consider it safe to use. If not, I wouldn't touch it.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
JUseeTV

#5 Post by JUseeTV » 22 Oct 2022 07:43

The, from my experience, (considerably) safest place to get mods from is the SCS Forum or the Steam Workshop, TruckyMods or the modder's own homepage. Most known modders use one of these options.
Any other webpage (those with mod or the game in their name) I highly suggest to stay away from, you may find the same content there but it is just reuploads by users trying to make a few cents from downloads. Plus on these sites you never know what you will get in the end since there are fake uploads aswell covered behind the name of a known names. If a mod sounds sketchy or misplaced on such a page, better stay away from it.
I am not giving any sort of support, requests or Q&A through private messages, such messages will be ignored. Please use the appropriate topics, they are there for a reason.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”