ATS on the new Unreal Engine 5

GrimlockGaming

ATS on the new Unreal Engine 5

#1 Post by GrimlockGaming » 26 Jul 2022 16:57

So I was scrolling through YouTube the other day and got a notification from the Unreal Engine channel and I gotta say with how the demo looks that I wouldn't mind SCS gathering the necessary resources and team to throw ATS onto that game engine. I don't know if that requires a whole new overhaul of the game but it'd make the potential of the game practically boundless. We'd be able to see stuff like exhaust smoke, leaving and entering the cab animations, and a whole other list of stuff I can't list at the moment.
VTXcnME

Re: ATS on the new Unreal Engine 5

#2 Post by VTXcnME » 26 Jul 2022 19:02

I've been told multiple times that the game engine is fine and just needs an update, but boy.... some of the other game engines are getting solid FPS and great levels of detail.

There's talk that DX12 will be the end all savior of the ats game engine. We'll see. I'm not sold it's going to do what everyone hopes it'll do (I'm hoping I'm wrong).

Even some of the stuff coming off of Amazon's lumberyard (cry engine) is looking solid. And that's freeware.

Not being a programmer, I really don't know the amount of work it'd take to transition from whatever SCS is using to something different. I'm guessing more work than it's worth (in scs' eyes) at this point.

CAE Prodigy engine looks good.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 26 Jul 2022 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
JoeAlex23

#3 Post by JoeAlex23 » 26 Jul 2022 19:06

Here we go again......
Tristman

#4 Post by Tristman » 26 Jul 2022 19:09

I don't really know of any game that switched to a different engine after its initial release, but maybe someone can give an example.
Anyway, I don't think SCS will ever switch their games to a different engine no matter how much people claim it would be for the better, simply because of the amount of effort (and money) involved.
VTXcnME

#5 Post by VTXcnME » 26 Jul 2022 19:09

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah.... sorry we're dragging away from the normally scheduled repetitive topics. :lol: :lol: :lol:
xXCARL1992Xx

#6 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 Jul 2022 19:12

Lumberyard doesnt exist anymore, it is now O3DE wich is based on Lumberyard wich is based on CryEngine from 2015, so out of date really compared to Unreal Engine or Unity, and i wouldnt really give anything for it because it is from Amazon, a "developer" that developed a game that could fry your GPUs literally
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Optional Features

#7 Post by Optional Features » 26 Jul 2022 19:24

If I were SCS, I would stop development of ATS at the Mississippi and announce the release of a new game built on an updated Prism, new engine, what have you. It would be developed from East Coast to West Coast, starting with Maine and going south down the Eastern Seaboard. New features, more interactivity, more functionality, etc.

People would support it as many SCS fans are lifers, and it would give the game a chance to be on the level of some of the products that have come out in the last few years. There is no way this game will look as good as the average game come 2030 when the U.S. is scheduled to be completed. They should have a transition plan that allows them to get a fresh start, improve some things, and make what is already good better, mainly performance and graphics (lighting in particular).
VTXcnME

#8 Post by VTXcnME » 26 Jul 2022 19:26

@seriousmods Not a bad plan at all. ATS 2 perhaps? LOL
xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 26 Jul 2022 19:12 Lumberyard doesnt exist anymore, it is now O3DE wich is based on Lumberyard wich is based on CryEngine from 2015, so out of date really compared to Unreal Engine or Unity, and i wouldnt really give anything for it because it is from Amazon, a "developer" that developed a game that could fry your GPUs literally
Point being, there are newer engines doing more with better FPS's than what ATS is using. I'm not sure ATS can update it's engine to a point that it's really visually competitive. My only mention of lumberyard was that a freeware engine is producing better results than a company developed engine. And I'll have to do some looking, I played a game for a while built off lumberyard and never had a single problem.

CAE Prodigy looked nice, as far as it's abilty to render terrain and use AI to set buildings/traffic/weather patterns.

There's stuff out there, but as I said above, I doubt there'd ever be a change just due to cost of redevelopment.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 26 Jul 2022 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Optional Features

#9 Post by Optional Features » 26 Jul 2022 19:28

VTXcnME wrote: 26 Jul 2022 19:26 @seriousmods Not a bad plan at all. ATS 2 perhaps? LOL
Yeah, think about how much time is between now and the completion of all the Mississippi River states. They could get a head start now, work out all the licenses, and have some kind of teaser footage ready in a couple years. Seasons could be built in. Hopefully walk mode would be included as well. Add in the ability to open doors and access the sleeper, click buttons on the dash, separate and connect trailer sets, manually load big machine cargo, etc. I think it would sell well, and would fulfill a lot of community requests without trying to patch what has to be a leaky boat.

Also, it would squash whatever competition is trying to come up through the ranks with Alaskan Truck Sim, Truck World: Australia, etc. None of these games will likely offer as much as SCS has in terms of mod support or long term longevity, but they are gaining a lot of attention because people are desperate for more features.

I know Prism has worked well for SCS, but the current game doesn't run as well or look as good as many other games on the market now. That wasn't the case when ATS was released.
Trucker Nik

#10 Post by Trucker Nik » 26 Jul 2022 19:34

What do you all have with UE 5 and scs games on this engine it will never happen scs would have to develop a new game on this engine ATS 2 and ETS 3 but it will never happen because there is no reason for it the one who says that he wants ATS 2 and ETS 3, he doesn't know SCS games at all and he doesn't understand the concept of licensing, when ATS 2 and ETS 3 are mentioned it can make me very angry, stop it

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”