Next Generation Of The Game Engine And DX12 Support

angrybirdseller

Re: Next Generation Of The Game Engine And DX12 Support

#231 Post by angrybirdseller » 15 Nov 2022 06:46

4-5 Years to move over to UE sounds like bad idea for SCS from business standpoint. The prism 3d does improve overtime and there are advantages using your own engine its cheaper for scs and the fact have control how to implement and use another game engine sometimes you have to pay for that luxury. The DX 12 will arrive not expecting miracles with as improvements will slowly take time implement.
Quark

#232 Post by Quark » 15 Nov 2022 07:09

JoeAlex23 wrote: 15 Nov 2022 06:09 Here we go again.... 🙄
Ya, its getting really old. That this still comes up....Not that they had already explained numerous times they won't switch to another engine but ok...
plykkegaard

#233 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Nov 2022 12:27

Calibuddy99 wrote: 15 Nov 2022 05:34 UE5 would be insane for this game.
Highspeed trains would be insane for Denmark, imagine just 1 hour between major cities
But costs, daily passengers, time spend for acceleration and deceleration makes not feasible
the cost-benefit analysis will stop the project before it is started

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Berniyh

#234 Post by Berniyh » 15 Nov 2022 13:34

Calibuddy99 wrote: 15 Nov 2022 05:34 @Berniyh UE5 would be insane for this game. I think SCS should get rid of this old and outdated prism3d engine, and replace it with a better engine, at least ue4. But UE5 would be the best experience in this type of game.
As I pointed out above: it may not be that simple. Really, look at ACC as an example.
There clearly were upsides to the switch (like beautiful graphics), but there also were clear downsides, like mediocre performance optimization and lack of features (at least initially).
Simulator games have very specific requirements and these do not necessarily overlap with the requirements by your average Shooter, Strategy, Action-Adventure … game.

So depending on how UE was developed further and what bumps remain, it might be a wiser decision to upgrade Prism or write something completely new.
Bottom line: it's not that simple … ;)
plykkegaard

#235 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Nov 2022 13:40

Both games in new versions with all DLC would have a nice price tag
No all players would be willing to pay this and leave SCS in the dust

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Berniyh

#236 Post by Berniyh » 07 Dec 2022 13:49

Berniyh wrote: 15 Nov 2022 13:34
Calibuddy99 wrote: 15 Nov 2022 05:34 @Berniyh UE5 would be insane for this game. I think SCS should get rid of this old and outdated prism3d engine, and replace it with a better engine, at least ue4. But UE5 would be the best experience in this type of game.
As I pointed out above: it may not be that simple. Really, look at ACC as an example.
There clearly were upsides to the switch (like beautiful graphics), but there also were clear downsides, like mediocre performance optimization and lack of features (at least initially).
Simulator games have very specific requirements and these do not necessarily overlap with the requirements by your average Shooter, Strategy, Action-Adventure … game.

So depending on how UE was developed further and what bumps remain, it might be a wiser decision to upgrade Prism or write something completely new.
Bottom line: it's not that simple … ;)
I want to make one last post on this topic, just to emphasize that UE4/5 is not all green and great and that the decision to use or not use it might not be so easy as some here claim that it is.
Here is an article about AC/ACC and the (currently in-development) AC2, where Marco Massarutto (co-founder of Kunos Simulazioni) makes a couple of statements on the topic.
He explains why they made the switch from an in-house engine (for AC) to UE4 (for ACC), but then they decided to develop a new custom engine for the upcoming AC2.
https://traxion.gg/why-assetto-corsa-2- ... me-engine/

And that is in a time, where most people would expect you to be insane to develop a new engine from the ground up, when there are options like UE5 available.
(I am pretty sure that it's really a completely new development and not an evolution of the AC engine, because Stefano has stated multiple times that the AC engine has some basic flaws (i.e. single light source, it was a design choice) that cannot be fixed without redoing the whole thing.)
Optional Features

#237 Post by Optional Features » 07 Dec 2022 16:30

The reason, misguided or not, that people frequently suggest SCS switch to a new engine is because they can see an incredible difference in playing or watching other games.

And while SCS may possess the ability, as some have said previously, to do whatever they want with their engine, up to this point they have not.

The first widespread support for multicore in games appears to have started around 2008. It's 2022. We still don't have it in these game. While it might be on the agenda for 2023, at this point, it's like someone telling you they bought the original iPhone, their first smart phone, last week.

UE5.1, on the other hand, just announced an update to nanite technology which allows for forests of 3d trees without the need for LODs. This means natural biomes with individual blades of grass and trees with thousands of moving leaves, all rendered in a way that a gaming PC can handle, likely with ease.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

And this is all within world sectors up to 88 million square kms. For comparison, a 1:1 US is 9 million square kms.

Meanwhile, in ATS, stopping at a light with too many vehicles can cause tremendous frame rate loss.

Unreal may not be the solution for SCS, but continuing to work with Prism doesn't appear to be either. One of the most repeated complaints about Texas has been the lag in cities. The rest of the US has far more metro areas than the areas we've just left. If the game is to survive and thrive, driving through cities must be an enjoyable experience.

And for the record, I think it's a bit unfair to compare Assetto to SCS games. All self-developed game engines are not created equal.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
xXCARL1992Xx

#238 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 07 Dec 2022 16:34

"And for the record, I think it's a bit unfair to compare Assetto to SCS games. All self-developed game engines are not created equal."

he says and compared SCS games to GTA and FS, nice going :rofl:
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
flight50

#239 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2022 17:55

Apples and Oranges again. SCS will never win nor satisfy everyone because of such comparisons.
DGAF_AK87

#240 Post by DGAF_AK87 » 08 Dec 2022 17:30

You know, I'm still trying to figure out where this whole push of "Ultra realistic graphics will fix this game" came from. DX12 should be a good edition especially if SCS takes their time and does the implementation correctly. 11 has been a dumpster fire at best with how bad its turned out to be truth be told.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Corsair H100i XT
32GB Patriot Steel Viper 3200
Too Many Drives to List
Gigabyte Windforce OC 2070S
Windows 10

Return to “General discussion about the game”