Next Generation Of The Game Engine And DX12 Support

Sara

Re: Next Generation Of The Game Engine And DX12 Support

#201 Post by Sara » 11 Sep 2022 16:20

I agree flight50, I also had high hopes for it to be this year. Honestly, I think of now sort of pointing at maybe through next year, hopefully.
plykkegaard

#202 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Sep 2022 08:43

flight50 wrote: 11 Sep 2022 13:41 I had high hopes to see this engine upgrade at the end of this year.
The change from DX11 to DX 12 won't make much of a dfference unless the game engine support multiple cores
DX12 is not some kind of magic which can solve all problems

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
VTXcnME

#203 Post by VTXcnME » 12 Sep 2022 11:42

I was hoping Texas would better utilize game resources. I still worry if the game will start to stutter a bit on high end graphics settings around D/FW and other large metropolitan areas.

But, if it hasn't come yet, and if Texas is really as close as it seems to be, then no.... I'd rather they wait to release any game engine updates or DX12 until after Texas is out and stable. That could come at any time between state DLC's. That way it wouldn't aggressively stack up potential fix list items.
flight50

#204 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2022 12:25

plykkegaard wrote: 12 Sep 2022 08:43
flight50 wrote: 11 Sep 2022 13:41 I had high hopes to see this engine upgrade at the end of this year.
The change from DX11 to DX 12 won't make much of a dfference unless the game engine support multiple cores
DX12 is not some kind of magic which can solve all problems
Noticed I stated game engine upgrade and not DX12. There's more to the game engine than an api. It's the overall upgrade I speak of. But yes many confuse what all DX12 does. I'm not one of them. I don't know all the programming nor details about the game engine process, but being on here so much, I've been school already that DX12 isn't the fix all. That's not what my words was getting at.

@VTXcnME exactly and I honestly think Texas will have to slip thru without the upgrade if we are to see it this year. Waiting for the update pushes Texas more than likely. If we are now in the weekly blogs for Texas, it's on track for that 2022 release. Only thing that could detail that track is trying to get the engine upgrade with it.
VTXcnME

#205 Post by VTXcnME » 12 Sep 2022 17:22

Texas by end of year and Game Engine or DX12 upgrades Feb/March. That wouldn't be terrible. Might make more sense honestly. Paid work gets out first and keeps the lights on so to speak. Then they could work on DX12 and/or engine update. I'm not 100% swapping to DX12 and an updated G.E. at the same time would be a prudent choice. Work out the bugs from one, then release the other.
flight50

#206 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2022 20:07

They will more than like do like they did for DX11. But once you play with the new engine update with DX12, you will find it hard to go backwards is the issue. When DX11's open beta came, it made too much of a difference to bother going back to DX9 for me.
Madkine
Global moderator

#207 Post by Madkine » 12 Sep 2022 23:42

VTXcnME wrote: 12 Sep 2022 17:22 Then they could work on DX12 and/or engine update.
They don't work on one or the other, they work on everything at the same time (maps, trucks, engine upgrades, other dlc). The only question is when each piece will be ready for release.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
VTXcnME

#208 Post by VTXcnME » 13 Sep 2022 00:18

@Madkine Right... more clearly: work on getting one integrated into the game, then the other.

I don't figure they'll try to run a game engine update and DX12 integration in the same update... maybe they will, I dunno. But figure it'll be work on one (getting into game) the work on the other type situation.
flight50

#209 Post by flight50 » 13 Sep 2022 01:24

DX12 will have to be part of the game engine update actually. Both are part of programming while the other things Madkine mentioned are from different departments so they can come outside of the engine update. Just depends on when each specific department can get their task done. If everyone finishes at the same time, everything can release under one dlc. If not, things gets pushed. But each department runs independently for the most part.

Many people have said they wish SCS stop making maps to focus on features or stop making trucks to make more maps or whatever. When totally different departments are responsible for totally different things, I don't get why people think all of SCS works on everything. Each person specializes in something as part of a specialized team.
VTXcnME

#210 Post by VTXcnME » 13 Sep 2022 11:17

DX12 implementation and a game engine update are two overhauls to the existing product.

They wouldn't technically have to do them both at the same time. One doesn't necessitate the other. Baseline computers today are high end computers of 2015. They could optimize how the game engine utilizes resources. DX12 comes in after the fact and further allows for optimization of multi core support. Honestly I think that'd be the best way to go about it. Really improve the G.E first, then add compatibility/optimization for DX12. It improves game play and keeps a G.E. update from being a DX12 band-aid and calling the whole thing "improved". But it's not my ball of string, so time will tell how SCS goes about that.

SCS is like any company... that's not how companies work. You have people who specialize in marketing, others that specialize in supply chain management, production, design, etc. Is someone from the marketing department suddenly a coder? Even if they aren't that specialized, there's separate groups working on separate tasks. And as has been pointed out to me previously, the concept of just adding more of a certain type of employee doesn't help, as only a certain number of employees can be working on a certain part/segment/asset at once.

SCS will release what they want or can, when they want or choose, in the manner that suits them. My biggest goal for this game currently? Enjoy the game, the map... and try to ignore the cargo limitations, the economy limitations as there is nothing I'm going to do to change it. Will we get a game engine update? Maybe. Will DX12 come sooner than later? Maybe. Will SCS release both concurrently as part of the next 'major overhaul' of the game (like the lighting overhaul, which I think I've read elsewhere is still a W.I.P. and not finalized yet). Maybe. Might. Maybe not. Probably. Could be. Who knows? SCS, and they aren't sharing every little detail. And they shouldn't. It's their sandbox, we're just playing in it. Well, some of the complainers here seem to be using it like a litter box, but I digress. :D

Return to “General discussion about the game”