Have you ever lost interest in a game?

Optional Features

Re: Have you ever lost interest in a game?

#71 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 21:39

dan4815 wrote: 14 Aug 2022 20:37 ATS is my most played game (1000h+). I have every right to be tired at times, and we probably all have moments where we are actively interested in the game but not playing it. However, I have to write that I have noticed that I am having trouble staying with the game for long periods of time. I still haven't even gotten through Montana (Ok, I flew out on vacation three days after release). The question is what the reason behind this is. I don't have that imagination anymore? Do I need more sensations and opportunities interact with the world? Or is it that the map environments are always repetitive due to the technical limitations of the engine (small mountains, poor sense of size, low density vegetation and bland textures)? Maybe everything. After so many hours played, the player knows every detail of the game, and nothing surprises them that much anymore. It's like a drug - at first you can't stop, it does you very well. As time goes on, it becomes harder to feel similar interest and feelings, and the user has to compensate for that with something. As far as the game is concerned, he wants to use the new features to get more into the action of the game.
Yeah, new states, new industries, new trucks, and new trailers bring more of the same.

We got Montana, but while beautiful, it's just more roads. We still can't buy yards for our trucks, customize these yards, or set up truck-related businesses. Most deliverable businesses are still square; many areas are still blocked; and the roads still have nary a bump.

We got landscaping, silane gas, recycling, and landscaping as industries, but these cargoes are still delivered as all others: park in green box, turn engine off, hit enter.

We got the 57X, but it came with no new features either. No sliding fifth wheel. No sleeper access. No cab suspension. No opening doors or hoods. No access to interior compartments. No moving flaps or antennas. Just another nicely modeled brick on cylinders.

And we got tankers and bulk trailers as ownables, but again, they are essentially a new shape for old ideas.

I don't know if SCS just wants to stick with a script, or maybe they are planning a major overhaul at some point.

But the game as it stands is a lot of repetition and very little novelty or interactivity. I play it weekly, and don't plan to stop, but I would love to be able to do more than imagine.
VTXcnME

#72 Post by VTXcnME » 15 Aug 2022 17:04

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 12 Aug 2022 17:52 "Look at the stuff people have modded into GTA and Farming Sim."

why dont you start then, GTA has no mod support at al, on the contrary even, R* actively tries to prevent it, soo, this means people can do the same for ETS2 and ATS but why dont i see people do it ?
I think the point trying to be made is that some games are easier to mod and easier to write scripts for to change game play. SCS's software does not have the same ease of access. There's a reason we don't see them here, because I'm certain if they could be done, some of the things asked for would have already been done. I do like the tried and true line of telling people to just go make a mod. Like it's just that easy. LOL.
xXCARL1992Xx

#73 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 15 Aug 2022 17:08

RAGE is even more unaccessible then Prism3D, this has nothing to do with ease of access, both games are written in C++, people just dont want to do it simple as that, most of the stuff done to GTA actually comes from the russian community
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Optional Features

#74 Post by Optional Features » 15 Aug 2022 17:52

VTXcnME wrote: 15 Aug 2022 17:04 I think the point trying to be made is that some games are easier to mod and easier to write scripts for to change game play. SCS's software does not have the same ease of access. There's a reason we don't see them here, because I'm certain if they could be done, some of the things asked for would have already been done. I do like the tried and true line of telling people to just go make a mod. Like it's just that easy. LOL.
Exactly. While Rockstar has sued modders, fought modders, and done much to prevent modding, they created a platform that not only allows a wide range of things to be done by default, but it is clearly easy enough to add stuff to.

GTA has FiveM, a completely alternative multiplayer system that allows mods. Within the FiveM world, there's FivePD, a police script that allows a wide range of functionality with additional scripts including handcuffing characters, searching people and vehicles, doing breathalyzer checks, putting down spike strips, running radar, checking license plates, and more. We had a script on our server that even turned off the siren when a cop exited the vehicle, and we had done firefighting in the past with a fire script that could be spawned anywhere.

FiveM also works with the ESX script family which allows everything from jobs to bank accounts to criminal enterprises.

Then there's LSPDFR, which again is mostly script based. Adds a ton of functionality for police, fire, and EMS work. That's just scratching the surface: I could write a small book on how many different mods there are for GTA (I don't know half of them), and what it is that they do.

The same is nearly true for Farming Sim. Seasons was a player-generated script. Forestry (cuttable trees) was also. A guy rewrote the physics engine two or three times. People have done trains with working switches, and there's TerraFarm which allows you to dig with heavy equipment anywhere on a map.

Then we circle back to ATS and ETS2. There are a handful of mods that adjust traffic, a few for weather, but the vast majority of mods have no script impact whatsoever. They are new shells for old ideas, not a new concept that is original to the modder. It's not that people don't want new ideas to happen: these ideas are impossible within the limitations of the game.

Look at the people who have yard trucks now. SCS games don't have the functionality to raise and lower a hydraulically lifted fifth wheel with a new keybind. Perhaps it could be done, but it would have to be based on like a window animation. And that doesn't help any since players can only interact with one trailer at a time: no script on Earth has fixed that.

Then look at mods with opening doors or hoods: again, no default way to do it, so people cheat with window anims.

How about opening doors or sliding axles when loaded? Can't do it. There is no current way to make this happen: the only way to do doors is to have them toggle into an open setting when the trailer disconnects. There is no way to animate them or use them when loaded and connected since F7 is locked to unloaded trailers.

Then a final note: splittable lowboys. Farming Sim has had these since like 2010. GTA has them. There are like two people in the entire ATS community with them. Why? Because even the smartest people in the community struggle with a concept that's literally a trailer with two connecting points. And don't even get me started on multiple trailer attaching: GTA and Farm Sim support these by default. One guy temporarily figured it out in ATS, but it was broken by a patch and he hasn't figured out how to fix it since.

So yes, SCS games are incredibly limited by SCS to essentially the things we can currently do in game. There's a reason no one has a working forklift or crane in game. Even if it could be made to work, all the limitations and challenges would
make it essentially a car with forks that drove like a semi.
VTXcnME

#75 Post by VTXcnME » 15 Aug 2022 18:21

@seriousmods Exactly.

But explaining logic clearly is an uphill/wasted battle here. So I'm out of that circular argument.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 15 Aug 2022 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#76 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 15 Aug 2022 18:27

" the ability to implement in game is just not as easy as it is with other games.2

i only read bullshit here, GTA is THE SAME, the most work did the Russian community, EVERYTHING you see for GTA is made by them (the community), R* did exactly nothing, and ALL of this can be done with ETS and ATS but NOBODY want do it it, a simple fact, TMP is the same principle, 1 guy reverse engineered the game and injected players via AI and those TMP was born, everything else can be done the same way via .dll injection or writing custom .exe files

but i look like some poeple are just not willing to see this because then they would loos their major point of "SCS maKEs tHe gAMe HaRD To mOdIFy"
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
VTXcnME

#77 Post by VTXcnME » 15 Aug 2022 18:31

you win bud. you're smarter than the rest of us. I'm out.

But if you so smart, you'd make a killing selling all these mods that are so easy for you to make and implement into the game.
Optional Features

#78 Post by Optional Features » 15 Aug 2022 19:15

VTXcnME wrote: 15 Aug 2022 18:21 @seriousmods Exactly.

But explaining logic clearly is an uphill/wasted battle here. So I'm out of that circular argument.
Yeah, my ignore list looks the way it does for a reason lol.

But a good challenge for the experts. There's a walk mode in the SCS map editor that was discovered by @koolizz. Obviously, since many people want this, and it already is halfway there, it should be easy to bring it to the game as a mod. Right??? 😂
Sovereign 89

#79 Post by Sovereign 89 » 15 Aug 2022 19:23

dan4815 wrote: 14 Aug 2022 20:42 Sovereign 89: Great, I see Rise of Nations. For me, great strategy, best RTS. I've had an incredible amount of game nights playing with friends until the wee hours of the morning. :-D
Yeah, it is a very good game, maybe for me personally not as good as C&C Generals/Zero Hour, or Starcraft 2 too, but it is very close. I never managed to beat campaigns on harder difficulties though. That is mostly due to the time limit missions have. I haven't played it much in multiplayer unfortunately, because most people I know prefer the games I mentioned, plus Warcraft (which for me isn't that good).
[ external image ] [ external image ]

WB Croatia speculation map
VTXcnME

#80 Post by VTXcnME » 15 Aug 2022 19:28

@seriousmods apparently carl is all over it. He'll have it done before dinner. It's easy. LOL

Return to “General discussion about the game”