Have you ever lost interest in a game?

Darkcaptain

Re: Have you ever lost interest in a game?

#31 Post by Darkcaptain » 11 Aug 2022 03:53

In my case, I take a break for a few months in ETS2/ATS and then return to it with more enthusiasm, but yes, for me it doesn't have as much incentive as when I started playing and discovering things.

I think it could change if more aspects are added to the gameplay, I mean currently it's basically just selecting a truck and loading it up and taking it from point A to point B, this can be entertaining for a while but we need "something else" during those trips:

- Different seasons so that the environment varies a bit in view
- Better driving physics, puddles during rain or after rain, mud, dirt on the truck, truck wash etc.
- That there is noticeable wear on the truck, small repairs, damage to the asphalt and feeling something else on my steering wheel, etc.

And some more things, with some added features, the game would have a more varied and complete gameplay, more entertaining and varied journeys.

But in the aspect of ETS2 it is even worse, there are areas that feel very old, and I avoid going through them, I am not going to wait 5-6 years for everything to have a Rework (Base, UK, Going East...) , it is necessary to speed up this process at least in textures (higher quality textures that replace asphalt, vegetation etc... from the oldest areas via DLC) and an improved and renewed graphic aspect in general of the graphic engine, better lighting, Antialiasing etc...

Anyway, there are many user ideas in different threads of this Forum with very good features that could be added.

And I agree with what was written by @koolizz and @Outlaw Transport
howey

#32 Post by howey » 11 Aug 2022 03:57

It's funny how this topic came up because I have been thinking this exact thing as of late with ATS. I deleted ETS 2 months ago as I have lost interest in it and had'nt played it much since Iberia was release and I'm the same with ATS. What Seriousmods has been saying for a while now is how I have been feeling about the game as well.

Considering that I have invested more time in playing FS22 now that more maps and mods are out I rather play that then play ATS. The thing with FS22 compared to this is there is a ton alot of options and variety on how to operate your farm/company from farming, logging,contracting, transporting including loading and unloading to now even having you own production chains from assets of your farm and much more. Then you have ATS in which you pick up a trailer or load and drive it from point A to Point B with the occasional rest break and fuel stop in between I'm just finding it way to repetitive way to quick these days. For instance I was keen as for Montana to release and brought it as soon a I got home the day after release and I haven't even ventured into Montana nor played the game since then as I travelled 100miles north for my HQ in Cheyenne and parked up as I just lost interest real quick.

I'm at the stage now until that starting adding other elements of the trucking Industry into the game to bring that variety I believe this is the beginning of the end of playing ATS for me as I more interested in FS 22 now and even construction sim when that comes out next month down to the fact of having the variety of options to choose from all related within the respective industries showcased.
Trakaplex

#33 Post by Trakaplex » 11 Aug 2022 04:37

Honestly, it's the maps for me that have the most hit (because of places to explore). I'm kind of glad they're releasing Texas this year, because if not ATS might turn into a bust. But honestly I live in Texas, so let's see... but yes, both games have seen a drop in map DLCs. Only Wyoming released last year, and poor HoR got laid... I guess Texas might make things great, but you immediately get that feeling a few months later you've already explored the whole DLC and things fall boring. And honestly, Montana felt rushed in development. This was one of the reasons why SCS uplifted the game from 1:35 (as well as ETS2's scale), but still it's even in 1:20.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Optional Features

#34 Post by Optional Features » 11 Aug 2022 07:54

howey wrote: 11 Aug 2022 03:57 What Seriousmods has been saying for a while now is how I have been feeling about the game as well.

Considering that I have invested more time in playing FS22 now that more maps and mods are out I rather play that then play ATS. The thing with FS22 compared to this is there is a ton alot of options and variety on how to operate your farm/company from farming, logging,contracting, transporting including loading and unloading to now even having you own production chains from assets of your farm and much more. Then you have ATS in which you pick up a trailer or load and drive it from point A to Point B with the occasional rest break and fuel stop in between I'm just finding it way to repetitive way to quick these days. For instance I was keen as for Montana to release and brought it as soon a I got home the day after release and I haven't even ventured into Montana nor played the game since then as I travelled 100miles north for my HQ in Cheyenne and parked up as I just lost interest real quick.
Thank you for mentioning me! 😀

Yes, I say these things because I love this game (and the industry more) and would like a gameplay experience that I could really go hog wild in.

I have 1300 hours in ATS at this point, and I don't think there's anything left for me to try. I have done a lot of different things in game, but I know I really haven't done everything I could in this genre. And I hope that SCS will allow me and others to do some of those things soon.

Here I am driving back from Cody over the weekend. I have Brutal Weather in.

[ external image ]

As a lifelong west coaster, I know that clouds like these irl mean there's about to be a downpour and probably thunder. People from the Midwest probably associate them with tornadoes and other severe weather, maybe even straight line winds. In game, without this mod dark skies aren't even a thing, and overcast weather in general isn't either. It's either sunny, partly sunny, or cloudy with rain.

[ external image ]

Here I am at a truckstop on the same trip. I never have to worry about waiting even a second to fuel. And fueling is done in seconds. I can't get out, check my tires, wash the windows, nothing.

[ external image ]

Here I am in the town of Cody (these pics aren't in order). I'm sure there's something I could buy here for my truck/for me. Maybe a nice pair of boots, a new cowboy hat, something. Nope: just look at the nice buildings and drive.

[ external image ]

And finally, here I am at the truckstop in my sleeper. I need a mod to go into sleepers, or a modded truck like this one. But there are no mods that allow me to search for used trucks, new employees, or new property on the laptop. I'd need to learn to mod to use the remaining cabinet space in the truck, and barring moving the camera, there is no way for me to access the top bunk.

Then compare that with my weekend playing Farming Sim. Farming Sim has many flaws, but one of them isn't struggling to find new things to do. I'm on harvest two of a seasons savegame in multiplayer. My farm is 1.4 million in debt. And I need every ounce of crop to hopefully pay this loan off before we decide to switch maps. But while doing that, I am able to do much more than plant and harvest.

[ external image ]

I ran my semi out of fuel, so I took my pickup to the store, leased a fuel tanker, drove the tanker to the gas station, got several hundred gallons, took the tanker to the truck, filled the truck, took the remaining fuel to the home farm and stored it in our fuel tank.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I could use a second semi trailer on my farm, but until I can afford one, a friend helped me haul some of my grain to the elevator. All I had to do was give him permissions, and his equipment can now help me with my farm's needs.

[ external image ]

I got help from another friend with driving my truck while I ran my farm's lone combine. He drove, while I kept the soybeans coming on. Saved me a lot of time.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

And now that harvest is done, a third friend brought his tractor over to help me plant some spring wheat (his pics). I'll be back on soon to finish my planting and probably help out a couple other local farmers that are struggling to get their crops in before winter hits.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

And speaking of farms, this farm I'm running is built by me. It's not a static farm built by the mapper. It's not a farm designed by GIANTS. It's a farm I designed myself, sculpted land for, placed buildings for, decorated with junk, and store trucks and implements at. It's my spot on a sizeable map that I call home. I even have a small trailer that serves as my house (sadly no interior).

Now, think of some of these ideas in relation to ATS. SCS is still using garages from probably ETS1 in Montana. Most players are using these garages in their gameplay. Just a small percentage have acquired custom garages through their own skills or that of modders. No one has the ability to make a place their own in game, only through map editing.

Another FS modder built this truck yard in game recently.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

He's even got the trailer loader, which is a common sight around companies that deal with west coast log trucks.

This yard would be much better suited in ATS, but it would all be decorative, including the other vehicles.

We can't store even a single trailer other than the one used in game currently. We can't share garages with other players. We can't drive each other's vehicles. We can't use our equipment to take another player's cargo.

The best we can do is take the same load, likely from a warehouse even if we're pulling a lowboy or dry bulk, and drive it to a new spot on the map.

There's no way that's the height of achievement of this game.
Texshi

#35 Post by Texshi » 11 Aug 2022 08:41

I have lost interest in games and even ATS in some cases.. multiplayer helps though soon Texas arrives and my desire will be back.

But I do worry I will lost interest again.. unfortunately I'll lose it faster if Peterbilt 389 is just forgotten & not given a face lift as that is the only truck I really have interest in besides older styles 359/367/379/567.. so until those arrive, I'll have to rely on mods and I HATE doing that.. I dislike having to use part mods for the 389 to at least make it look nice but it is what it is.

I do drive the W900 and wish the W990 would appear but that's about it.
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!
Corvinus

#36 Post by Corvinus » 11 Aug 2022 11:53

Whenever I start to feel like I'm rushing in traffic, it's time for a break. I know then that my head is elsewhere and I don't really have time to play or am simply fulfilled. A couple long trips every session usually does it for me, at least during normal week days. Then I move onto other hobbies or games or dad duty. But, surely enough, later I'll feel like driving a big truck again, and only SCS scratches that itch when I just want to drive and not mess with other things.

Right now I'm cruising the vanilla 389 in 8x4 midlift mode as it's a tad more exciting than any short and ultra maneuverable aero truck. Sometimes the receivers will give me shit about it, but I like to feel prepared for any type of load. 😅 Not so different from any other stretched pete I imagine. It's fun to drive, most importantly.

I know people like to hate on the model and everything, but I just sweep it under the rug as being a little custom. I like the view of the hood and the cozy rumble it makes. Loud engines is cool and everything for 5 minutes, but then I want to hear the radio 😂

As far as ETS2 goes, I think the biggest hurdle for me there is outdated, and in the oldest parts, straight up primitive, maps. If they push hard on map work, I'll be far more inclined to drive more. But haven't played it much lately, honestly.
VTXcnME

#37 Post by VTXcnME » 11 Aug 2022 14:49

@seriousmods "There's no way that's the eight of achievement of this game."

^^^100% hope you are correct.^^^^ Feel like ATS could be a much more in depth game with logistics management/cargo storage and transfer/company management. Getting out of the truck to go buy boots in a store I can certainly live without, but being able to share work, share trucks would be HUGE. "Hey guys, I got 98,000lbs of product I need to get moved from Walmart in Albuquerque to BNSF in Yuma. My trailer can haul 42,000lbs of it, can someone help me out? I got the trucks and trailers, I just need drivers." How cool would that be. Get paid $X and be able to split that payout between the drivers that helped you? Can't take the whole load at once? That's okay: Walmart, I'll be back tomorrow to get the rest. (As long as the load is finished in the contracted time, like we have now).

I really hope you are correct that this is not the height of achievement that SCS has settled for.
Optional Features

#38 Post by Optional Features » 11 Aug 2022 16:29

VTXcnME wrote: 11 Aug 2022 14:49 @seriousmods "There's no way that's the eight of achievement of this game."

^^^100% hope you are correct.^^^^ Feel like ATS could be a much more in depth game with logistics management/cargo storage and transfer/company management. Getting out of the truck to go buy boots in a store I can certainly live without, but being able to share work, share trucks would be HUGE. "Hey guys, I got 98,000lbs of product I need to get moved from Walmart in Albuquerque to BNSF in Yuma. My trailer can haul 42,000lbs of it, can someone help me out? I got the trucks and trailers, I just need drivers." How cool would that be. Get paid $X and be able to split that payout between the drivers that helped you? Can't take the whole load at once? That's okay: Walmart, I'll be back tomorrow to get the rest. (As long as the load is finished in the contracted time, like we have now).

I really hope you are correct that this is not the height of achievement that SCS has settled for.
Yep, multi part loads are one of many ways the game could improve.

I don't expect stores with interiors either, but we could park (probably in the turn lane), walk up to the store, and activate a trigger outside that opened a window or maybe like a 2D storefront.

Buying boots is a low priority, but the same could be used for banks (borrow money from a specific one instead of a concept), chrome shops (look for a part that only one chrome shop carries), or other truck-related things.

I think of things like boots because to me that would be far more fitting than the hanging air fresheners we get. And character customization is badly needed imo.
J.Random

#39 Post by J.Random » 11 Aug 2022 17:39

Haven't necessarily lost interest completely; I just find myself taking more prolonged breaks from it. Usually after seeing or being affected by bugs and AI and fizzicks shenanigans. For example, being rammed by AI ignoring yield signs/markings. Or being caught by Truman effect. I just pause, sigh and Alt-F4 out of it while muttering obscenities aimed at developers.
AlexxxF1

#40 Post by AlexxxF1 » 11 Aug 2022 21:22

after reading the post above from @seriousmods, I really think the game lacks some kind of home.
Where you want to return after a long trip around the country.
Where at least within its limits you can start walking on two legs.
Where you can spend all your earned money on its arrangement. for the arrangement of your garage or yard.
Where you can unhook your one purchased trailer, and attach another, bought a year ago and parked nearby for other loads.
Where, after a long trip, long work, you finally want to return and relax, go fishing or turn on the radio and have a barbecue))

It would be great if the SCS somehow reworked the garage system :idea: .
If only this prefab could change somehow and inside it you could spend your earned money, walk around your truck, drive it into a pit, and climb under it, change the oil.
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 12 Aug 2022 01:28, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General discussion about the game”