Have you ever lost interest in a game?

flight50

Re: Have you ever lost interest in a game?

#11 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 23:56

Knightrider wrote: 09 Aug 2022 18:35 I think the best way to enjoy ATS/ETS 2 is to take 1 to 2 hours sessions then take a break. Repeat.
This is exactly what I do. Back in 2016 when I first bought ATS in June, I played for 3 months straight almost every day for 3-4 hrs a night after work. This was at 1:35 scale with only the base map states. I slowed my role down a bit after 3 months as I got my trucking fix to a satisfactory level. I then got burned out a bit after Washington released so I scaled back a bit more. I went to weekends only and only did 300-800 mile trips. I still do the same today. I play for a max of about 2 hrs at a time. I'm actually on here a lot more than I play.

Basically, take breaks from the game. I own 50+ console games. I don't play a single one anymore. I have about 6-7 pc titles and I don't play them often either. 90% of the time, I'm playing ATS on a limited basis. When not playing or on here, I'm busy with something else. My break from the game is this forum though. I still get my trucking fix just by talking about it. I'm on here when I shouldn't be...........like now, lol. I'm suppose to be working now but I have to even take breaks from work before I get too burned out with it. Breaks are necessary no matter what you are doing.
Underscore_101_

#12 Post by Underscore_101_ » 10 Aug 2022 00:46

I've lost some interest about 5 years ago, though prior to that i didn't play much at all because, well life didn't give me the time for it.
Back then i lived in a really small 10M2 room so no space to really play the game, though i did buy my first wheel then.
And as far as gaming goes my interests were more diverse, used to play a lot of gta, F1, cod and moh, but haven't touched those games or my xbox for ages.

About 4 years ago I moved to a normal apartment and started playing much more at first, but after a while it got a bit less, the fuss of having to install my wheel every time, the dealing with mods (without mods i would have quit playing long before then)
And nowadays i have a dedicated setup for ATS/ETS2, i play when i feel like it, on average maybe about 4 hours a weekend between both games, I play very rarely on workdays, but ....
Learning to create paint jobs a few years ago sparked some more interest into more modding, which i'm trying to learn atm, but currently it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back :-), but enjoy doing it.
It basically means that i run the game quite often throughout the week to test what i'm "creating", enjoy the sense of achievement, the disappointing moments not so much :-), but i learn from them.
Don't think i'll ever do an entire truck or even trailer, but for now it keeps me interested in the games :-)

And of course waiting to see a base map rebuild of ETS2 and ATS to reach the East Coast, imho the East coast is soo much more interesting than what we have so far in ATS.
JoeAlex23

#13 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Aug 2022 00:49

No, i've lost interest in a lot of other games, but for some reason i never get tired of ATS and ETS2, sure, sometimes i spend over a week without playing either game but that's when i don't have time to play, but everytime i open either game again, jump in my favorite truck and take a load to anywhere i feel the same way as i always do, in absolute love with both games, and seeing my truck rolling down the highway always makes me smile like a kid.
rookie31st

#14 Post by rookie31st » 10 Aug 2022 00:56

I stopped playing regularly back in 2018. I think New Mexico was the last state I eagerly waited for. Since then, I played for events, but I was so bored with the Potato event in Idaho that I didn't want to finish it. I did Christmas one after that though. I rarely start the game just to drive. I even ignored the release of the latest International truck before WS 57X, didn't bother checking either of them.

New state release is probably the strongest incentive to play. The game offers little to nothing else. And I know many ATS streamers who quit streaming ATS either completely or stream only new releases (updates, trucks, and states).
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Optional Features

#15 Post by Optional Features » 10 Aug 2022 01:01

rookie31st wrote: 10 Aug 2022 00:56 New state release is probably the strongest incentive to play. The game offers little to nothing else. And I know many ATS streamers who quit streaming ATS either completely or stream only new releases (updates, trucks, and states).
It's also increasingly tough to get views for some of these channels. Even large channels aren't pulling the numbers they once were.

I think this is largely due to the fact viewers know what is going to happen before it does. Without closing the game or intentionally not driving, the content creator will finish the load with little difficulty.

Even a superload or trailer set isn't as challenging as it could be due to current physics (example: the swaying of doubles and triples). Tire physics, the influence of wind, and many other factors play a major role irl scenarios.
Sora

#16 Post by Sora » 10 Aug 2022 01:15

All the time, with a lot of games. It's natural to get tired of things after a while - if you had your favorite meal every single night, it probably wouldn't be your favorite for much longer.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for ATS/ETS2, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I'll get in the mood for a while, then not care about the game for a couple of months, only to go right back to it. My enjoyment of a game depends heavily on how much my mood is leaning towards it. Visualize a wave, for example; when a WoT event aligns with the peak of a wave, I might do 50 jobs, but if one lines up with the bottom of the wave I might struggle to barely finish the requirement.

If anything, it's the people who can play the same game for hours every single day that I have a hard time comprehending; I couldn't do that for anything. To me, that's a job.
Viper28

#17 Post by Viper28 » 10 Aug 2022 01:40

YES. Definitely with ATS more so than other games. Sadly, I've played more in depth "driving games" or games like GTA V that involve a substantial amount of driving and this game presently always leaves me wanting more. I duck in occasionally to play it but find myself annoyed by the stupid stuff I see in the game, then I get frustrated which drives to boredom very quickly. Course I'm not someone easily pacified so it doesn't surprise me with this game since there isn't any depth to it. Add some, and perhaps I'd be more hooked.

EDITED NOTE: i just figured I'd load the game and enjoy a quick run maybe 160 miles or so, AND what happens...minding my own business in my lane of travel and frickin AI merges right into my trailer as I passing......SMH, Can't play the doggone game without coming across some absurd blunder. frankly there's no meaningful vision with any kind of depth to it, and I doubt there will be. May technology advancing render it obsolete or force innovation. That's about the only hope here.
Last edited by Viper28 on 10 Aug 2022 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Optional Features

#18 Post by Optional Features » 10 Aug 2022 02:25

The way I see this game, the features I envision, it could replace my other games entirely.

But I don't think what I want and what we'll get will ever merge, or maybe even be reasonable.
MT269

#19 Post by MT269 » 10 Aug 2022 05:25

Montana's landscape has reignited my interest in a small way, by being less like green jelly, and being at reasonable size, with various connections to the adjoining states. I play on and off. The 'Cruising xxx' events do aid in encouraging me to play the game. But unfortunately, I wasn't able to participate in 'Cruising Utah' which frustrates me.

I wish that there was a way to have the WOT account pick up deliveries in this exact style, for this purpose. But clearly not.
Travismods

#20 Post by Travismods » 10 Aug 2022 06:14

@nodin747 Not surprising you lose interest after a while when the game is going on 7 years old and we still haven’t had anything meaningful added in terms of challenge or gameplay mechanics by SCS.

It’s like eating nothing but applesauce for 7 years straight, tastes good and feels nice at first, but you quickly grow tired of it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”