Have you ever lost interest in a game?

nodin747

Re: Have you ever lost interest in a game?

#61 Post by nodin747 » 13 Aug 2022 11:43

ovcl wrote: 13 Aug 2022 11:29 I somehow lost interest not only in ETS2/ATS, but also in other car simulators. Occasionally I turn on Snowrunner because of the stunning scenery, but I can't bring myself to play it for a long time, it's too boring and physics glitches are annoying.
I tried to temporarily distract myself with the good old shooters, finished the Black Mesa and Prey games. And I was also tired and abandoned such games.
Either it's old age, or I need a long break from computers. (Although, the indie adventure novella "To the Moon"/ "Finding Paradise" was able to fascinate me even at this time.)
Try War Thunder. I cant abandon it cos of hardcore gameplay and challenge
IamTheOne

#62 Post by IamTheOne » 13 Aug 2022 16:05

It's normal to get tired of playing a particular video game- video game specific forums like this one may give off the impression that most gamers are fascinated with playing a single video game ad-nausea, but the reality is that most people who play video games play more than one. Most (hopefully) people have lives outside their computer screens as well, so playing video games takes lower priority over more important life events.

Gameplay for ATS is such that it's easy to get bored after a couple hundred hours, as the game rarely presents a complex challenge and you're not having to make big decisions. But it has a certain attractiveness to it that brings players back to it, so it would sense that boredom for the game would quickly show up but then dissipate.
KnuteOle

#63 Post by KnuteOle » 13 Aug 2022 16:29

There hasn't been a game invented that I haven't lost interest in over time.

I used to play chess a lot as a kid. Even started a chess club. Read books on strategy, played online, and got together with friends to play. And then at some point, I lost interest for about 20 years until my nephew wanted to learn how to play (mostly because the game was featured in Harry Potter and he wanted to be a wizard.) So I started to play again for awhile. Bought some new sets. And eventually, lost interest again.

Most video games are a bit different, especially the story-driven ones. Once the story is completed, I usually lose interest entirely and am ready for a different game.

MMOs are a little different yet. I've played MMOs, as well, and generally will play when a new expansion is released, then take time away from it until the next expansion piques new interest.

Likewise with ATS and ETS, my interest is usually renewed with every expansion. I'll drive the heck out of the new content, complete the launch event, and then set it aside and only play occasionally. I am excited about seeing the rest of the states.

I'm sure I'll be playing ATS for many years to come as long as the new states keep launching, and I'm already looking forward to certain trips (such as cross-country, Maine to San DIego, Miami to Seattle, Brownsville to Chicago, etc.) So for SCS, as long as they keep announcing the next couple of states, my interest in the game will remain, even if my gameplay is sporadic between launches.
Visit my World of Trucks profile and say hi!
https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4918521
Optional Features

#64 Post by Optional Features » 13 Aug 2022 18:36

IamTheOne wrote: 13 Aug 2022 16:05 Most (hopefully) people have lives outside their computer screens as well, so playing video games takes lower priority over more important life events.
Haha!

Work, eat, sleep, games, youtube. Not much to speak of lol.
Calibuddy99

#65 Post by Calibuddy99 » 13 Aug 2022 19:59

I'm never leaving this game. I LOVE it. it is so enjoyable, I would choose this game over any other game if I had to. And I have never lost interest in any games at all. In fact, I have a top 5 list of my favorite games, with this one being number one. Should I tell you the list?
Nothing to say here anymore.
PGTransport

#66 Post by PGTransport » 14 Aug 2022 03:05

Bought the game on day of release in 2016. Never lost interest. Play it 3 or 4 times a week.
Die with memories, not dreams.
nodin747

#67 Post by nodin747 » 14 Aug 2022 07:18

KnuteOle wrote: 13 Aug 2022 16:29 There hasn't been a game invented that I haven't lost interest in over time.

I used to play chess a lot as a kid. Even started a chess club. Read books on strategy, played online, and got together with friends to play. And then at some point, I lost interest for about 20 years until my nephew wanted to learn how to play (mostly because the game was featured in Harry Potter and he wanted to be a wizard.) So I started to play again for awhile. Bought some new sets. And eventually, lost interest again.

Most video games are a bit different, especially the story-driven ones. Once the story is completed, I usually lose interest entirely and am ready for a different game.

MMOs are a little different yet. I've played MMOs, as well, and generally will play when a new expansion is released, then take time away from it until the next expansion piques new interest.

Likewise with ATS and ETS, my interest is usually renewed with every expansion. I'll drive the heck out of the new content, complete the launch event, and then set it aside and only play occasionally. I am excited about seeing the rest of the states.

I'm sure I'll be playing ATS for many years to come as long as the new states keep launching, and I'm already looking forward to certain trips (such as cross-country, Maine to San DIego, Miami to Seattle, Brownsville to Chicago, etc.) So for SCS, as long as they keep announcing the next couple of states, my interest in the game will remain, even if my gameplay is sporadic between launches.
Football, basketball, etc
Sovereign 89

#68 Post by Sovereign 89 » 14 Aug 2022 19:58

I have, but only occasionally. When that happens I play something else then return to ATS/ETS 2 whenever I'm in the mood, and as you can see from the picture below I have plenty of games to choose from. :mrgreen:

[ external image ]
[ external image ] [ external image ]

WB Croatia speculation map
dan4815

#69 Post by dan4815 » 14 Aug 2022 20:37

ATS is my most played game (1000h+). I have every right to be tired at times, and we probably all have moments where we are actively interested in the game but not playing it. However, I have to write that I have noticed that I am having trouble staying with the game for long periods of time. I still haven't even gotten through Montana (Ok, I flew out on vacation three days after release). The question is what the reason behind this is. I don't have that imagination anymore? Do I need more sensations and opportunities interact with the world? Or is it that the map environments are always repetitive due to the technical limitations of the engine (small mountains, poor sense of size, low density vegetation and bland textures)? Maybe everything. After so many hours played, the player knows every detail of the game, and nothing surprises them that much anymore. It's like a drug - at first you can't stop, it does you very well. As time goes on, it becomes harder to feel similar interest and feelings, and the user has to compensate for that with something. As far as the game is concerned, he wants to use the new features to get more into the action of the game.
dan4815

#70 Post by dan4815 » 14 Aug 2022 20:42

Sovereign 89: Great, I see Rise of Nations. For me, great strategy, best RTS. I've had an incredible amount of game nights playing with friends until the wee hours of the morning. :-D

Return to “General discussion about the game”