Australian Truck Sim Concept Map

Chief482

Australian Truck Sim Concept Map

#1 Post by Chief482 » 13 Aug 2022 08:35

Hello All!

Had a fair bit of free time these past few days, thought I'd put together a concept map for a potential future Australian Truck Sim game or mod. Always wanted to see an Australian Truck Sim, just hasn't quite happened yet.

The Map in question:
Australian Truck Sim Concept.png
Seen many attempts at making Australian Truck Sim mods over the years, even a couple of fully fledged games here and there. They always seem to fall flat for one reason or another after a while. It's unfortunate, and it seems like nobody is really yet to buck this trend. But regardless, it's interesting to hypothesise about what could be, hence why I made this concept map :D.

Made the map by hand over several hours using Paint.net, all of the roads you see were traced by hand. There may be a couple of outback roads that I've put into the map in WA and SA that don't actually exist, I did try my best to make sure they do actually exist though but the data was pretty iffy. But overall the map itself is quite accurate.

Feel free to make any adjustments to the map that you wish!
room217au

Re: Australian Truck Sim Concept Map

#2 Post by room217au » 13 Aug 2022 11:40

That 'road' between HAlls Creek and Alice Springs? That's 1000km and there's absolutely nothing there.
I've driven on all of those roads and that whole centre piece (SA and NT)? Is esentially like Death Valley but 4 times the size of Texas.
Draw a line down the western border of Queensland north to south and everything to the right of that is worth modelling, but the rest of it? Nah.
There are a few nice bits of scenery, Wolf Ck Crater, Madurah Pass, Mt Magnet.. but seriously 90% of the interior is a barren wasteland.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Chief482

#3 Post by Chief482 » 13 Aug 2022 12:01

room217au wrote: 13 Aug 2022 11:40 That 'road' between HAlls Creek and Alice Springs? That's 1000km and there's absolutely nothing there.
I've driven on all of those roads and that whole centre piece (SA and NT)? Is esentially like Death Valley but 4 times the size of Texas.
Draw a line down the western border of Queensland north to south and everything to the right of that is worth modelling, but the rest of it? Nah.
There are a few nice bits of scenery, Wolf Ck Crater, Madurah Pass, Mt Magnet.. but seriously 90% of the interior is a barren wasteland.
Fair dinkum, and interesting.

I reckon that's why so many attempts at making an Australian Truck Sim seem to always fail, I haven't had the opportunity to drive beyond the East Coast (finishing Year 12 very soon though, and thus time to do my own stuff). But what you said seems pretty accurate, even beyond those areas. In Western NSW and a large chunk of Queensland for example (which I've driven), it's pretty bloody barren. Australia is largely boring to drive for most people unfortunately.

Like when people see shows like Outback Truckers it's easy to think that driving in the outback is the shit. Although once you actually experience it it's a wholly different beast, and a boring one at that. With that being said though, most drives across the world id imagine would be pretty mundane. Even a lot of European drives probably would be, but games like ETS make the experience a lot more interesting. Maybe an AuTS game could do something similar, the balance just has to be right.
Last edited by Chief482 on 13 Aug 2022 12:09, edited 2 times in total.
LegoTechnicFanBoi

#4 Post by LegoTechnicFanBoi » 13 Aug 2022 12:11

It would be great if there was a game like this with european trucks
SORRY FOR MY WRITING MISTAKES IN ENGLISH. I SOMETIMES NEED TO USE TRANSLATOR

A Proud LEGO Fan since childhood
Madkine
Global moderator

#5 Post by Madkine » 14 Aug 2022 22:13

Being Australia, any game needs to include both Euro and American trucks.

In my experience the 2 most common brands are Kenworth and Volvo (and the Kenworths obviously include cabovers as well).
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Optional Features

#6 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 22:28

Aussie trucks are awesome: nice to see that classic styling is still going strong there.
Kiwimike7

#7 Post by Kiwimike7 » 15 Aug 2022 09:02

Being Australia, any game needs to include both Euro and American trucks.

In my experience the 2 most common brands are Kenworth and Volvo (and the Kenworths obviously include cabovers as well).
And they must be right hand drive and drive on the left side of the road.
Mike (Kiwmike7)

[ external image ]
room217au

#8 Post by room217au » 15 Aug 2022 12:36

I reckon it'd be a good test for SCS to re-create Safe-T-Cam in an Aussie map LOL
Never mind the cops, it's the mermaids you gotta watch out for. Weighing trucks on mobile pads at the drop of a hat. Defecting your truck because its number plates can't be seen by the cameras.
Years ago when Safe-T-cam became a thing, some TNT drivers thought it'd be funny to copy a number plate from one truck and create cardboard replicas on several other trucks of the same make and model.
Roads and Traffic Authority calls TNT HQ in Adelaide sayin "Listen, we got pictures of one of your trucks in Canberra, Perth, Darwin and Hobart.. all within an hour of each other. Some of your drivers and playin silly buggers and we want 'em to stop."
Couple of unloaded b-double tautliners got blown over sideways down Yass way ina 80s. Mermaids got wind of it on the CB and when they turned up, defected one of the trucks for loose trailin' arms.. while it was lyin on its side.
As if the driver didn't have enough problems.
Somehow I don't think SCS would be able to simulate those guys LOL
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
AlexxxF1

#9 Post by AlexxxF1 » 16 Aug 2022 08:32

First we should wait for the release of Truck World: Australia and look at the popularity of the game, through steam statistics for example.
How much will it be played daily and how fast the popularity will fall or how it will be stable.
Only then, it seems to me, it will be possible to think about the creation of AusTS from SCS.

Nevertheless, right-hand drive cars and left-hand traffic are very unusual and for many are a big problem.
Much easier and more familiar to most, it seems to me, to continue to stay and run ATS. the same desert landscapes, the same trucks.
I think it's better to spend time creating any part of Mexico first for ATS.

In any case, those who are looking forward to Australia will receive Truck World: Australia.
Tristman

#10 Post by Tristman » 16 Aug 2022 23:14

Driving on the left and having the wheel on the right is something you get used to pretty quickly. As long you aren’t switching a lot between countries that drive differently and as long as you aren’t in a car that has the wheel on the wrong side for that particular country.

If anything, I think a truck driving sim could help people feel more comfortable with doing it irl.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”