[Suggestion] | The SDK/Developer Mode needs a major overhaul

azgoodaz

[Suggestion] | The SDK/Developer Mode needs a major overhaul

#1 Post by azgoodaz » 13 Aug 2022 23:21

Not trying to be rude but someone has to say it... The SDK/Developer Mode needs a major overhaul it's literally disgusting compared to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

I don't understand how SCS Software developers are developing on this platform. The entire platform is confusing to the point where it's unbelievable complicated to get started. In MSFS, you get different window options and in 3 clicks you'll be able to place any object on the map. In ATS, you have to go through like 7 steps in order to add a sign... And that's if it even works. Because sometimes it doesn't even get placed in the proper location.

All I want to do is add a custom location for deliveries and it's taking me 10 years to add in a delivery location (I still can't find the prefab/tool for it). On top of that, if I click on an item/object I'm unable to right click on it to open up properties or even copy/paste it to another place. I have to click a different button, then click the object again in order to view the properties. Why so many redundant steps?

If you do this overhaul,
  • The development team will love you making development easier.
  • It won't take you 8 months to a 1 year to design a state. It will cut development time in half most likely.
  • The third-party/indie developers like ProMods and us that want to do mods and custom map work will love you.
Please take this under consideration... It needs it.
Last edited by azgoodaz on 20 Aug 2022 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
rookie31st

Re: The SDK/Developer Mode needs a major overhaul

#2 Post by rookie31st » 14 Aug 2022 01:01

I didn't expect it to be about the map editor from reading the title.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Optional Features

#3 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 01:03

I've suggested something like GIANTS Editor myself. One of the easiest modding programs around. To fit with your example, open the map, import the sign, hold ctrl-b, left click and the sign instantly snaps to the terrain. I hand placed 14k trees with this method on one map.
jab98

#4 Post by jab98 » 14 Aug 2022 02:59

azgoodaz wrote: 13 Aug 2022 23:21 Not trying to be rude but someone has to say it... The SDK/Developer Mode needs a major overhaul it's literally disgusting compared to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

I don't understand how SCS Software developers are developing on this platform. The entire platform is confusing to the point where it's unbelievable complicated to get started. In MSFS, you get different window options and in 3 clicks you'll be able to place any object on the map. In ATS, you have to go through like 7 steps in order to add a sign... And that's if it even works. Because sometimes it doesn't even get placed in the proper location.

All I want to do is add a custom location for deliveries and it's taking me 10 years to add in a delivery location (I still can't find the prefab/tool for it). On top of that, if I click on an item/object I'm unable to right click on it to open up properties or even copy/paste it to another place. I have to click a different button, then click the object again in order to view the properties. Why so many redundant steps?

If you do this overhaul,
  • The development team will love you making development easier.
  • It won't take you 8 months to a 1 year to design a state. It will cut development time in half most likely.
  • The third-party/indie developers like ProMods and us that want to do mods and custom map work will love you.
Please take this under consideration... It needs it.
This is a misleading title. You should probably change it to map editor not SDK tools given scs published an sdk tool kit for other purposes not including map editing. As far as copying and pasting using the keyboard shortcut works just like it would in most any other softwares. ctrl+c to copy or ctrl+x to cut and ctrl+v to pasted them you just click where you want and the item will paste.

As far as being able to right click that’s not really possible giving that holding the right mouse button is used to move around the map in one of the views.

Prefab creation has to be done in a third party software like blender or zmod, hence why you can’t find it.

And I doubt a redesign would cut map development down as much as you think. But I do think scs does have plans to rework the editor to a certain extent given it was “separated” from the game several updates ago. Learning the keyboard shortcuts really does speed things up. If I remember I’ll find a full list of them and post them but some general ones are E to pull up the content browser, M to move objects, S to scale objects, R to rotate, D to delete, and I believe N for properties.
angrybirdseller

#5 Post by angrybirdseller » 14 Aug 2022 03:44

The map editor is not hard to use if you watch video and use logic 101, but it not worth the time since scs will cover the area anyways or fix bugs at issues. It's knowing the short keys and studying how scs builds road or intersection.
Reinhard

#6 Post by Reinhard » 14 Aug 2022 09:17

seriousmods wrote: 14 Aug 2022 01:03 I've suggested something like GIANTS Editor myself. One of the easiest modding programs around. To fit with your example, open the map, import the sign, hold ctrl-b, left click and the sign instantly snaps to the terrain.
In the map editor, you can choose an existing object by selecting it, then you copy it with CTRL-C/CTRL-V, and finally click to the location you want it to be. And it snaps to the ground if snapping mode is active - your choice. Piece of cake.

The SCS map editor is a very complex tool, because it allows very complex things to do. A decade ago, it was much simpler, and the maps one could create with it looked exactly like that. But all these simple things are still there, now enriched with many, many new features, over all these years. And yes, it is a steep learning curve if one joins the show, now.
Optional Features

#7 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 16:15

Reinhard wrote: 14 Aug 2022 09:17
seriousmods wrote: 14 Aug 2022 01:03 I've suggested something like GIANTS Editor myself. One of the easiest modding programs around. To fit with your example, open the map, import the sign, hold ctrl-b, left click and the sign instantly snaps to the terrain.
In the map editor, you can choose an existing object by selecting it, then you copy it with CTRL-C/CTRL-V, and finally click to the location you want it to be. And it snaps to the ground if snapping mode is active - your choice. Piece of cake.

The SCS map editor is a very complex tool, because it allows very complex things to do. A decade ago, it was much simpler, and the maps one could create with it looked exactly like that. But all these simple things are still there, now enriched with many, many new features, over all these years. And yes, it is a steep learning curve if one joins the show, now.
Yeah, fair enough. What are the complex things it can do?
Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 14 Aug 2022 16:51

Many. Does that help? Certainly not. But making a list of capabilities wouldn't help, because people not familiar with the principles wouldn't understand it. While those who do don't need it. So I regard such as wasted time.

Sorry, but I'm not the right guy for casual banter about things like that. If you have serious technical questions about how to solve some specific problem, I might can help - or not.
Optional Features

#9 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 21:44

Yeah, that's fine. I haven't used it much, but the times I have I have found it and the other SCS tools quite complicated, especially considering the end result of the thing.

I can understand difficulty in making a fully functional thing, but not so much in a simple, mostly visual thing. Maybe I expect too much.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”