GVWR vs Gross Trailer Weight Limit

Optional Features

Re: GVWR vs Gross Trailer Weight Limit

#11 Post by Optional Features » 16 Aug 2022 16:21

Eugene wrote: 16 Aug 2022 08:44 Maybe because Lode King/Prestige wanted to promote those trailers and asked SCS to model them.
It's only fair to assume that Lode King sees presence in video games as a marketing tool.
Yeah, could be: would be nice if they added the Super-B flatbed. That one does have relevance in the US.
Caribear

#12 Post by Caribear » 16 Aug 2022 19:45

Eugene wrote: 16 Aug 2022 08:44 There are weight stations in game. Load up, and drive to a scale.
I'm almost sure, Sobes is right and cargo weight is reduced to fit in legal limits.
seriousmods wrote: 15 Aug 2022 17:58 US states have lower max weight than Canada on the same number of axles. The max weight for a Super B in two west coast states is somewhere around 105k. South Dakota and Michigan allow much higher gross, but on more axles.

I think I understand the question more, though. Why did SCS include a Canadian spec trailer that cannot reach its max payload in the states in the game? None of us know, but these grain trailers are quite rare south of the border from all I can tell. We also got tri drives with that one update, but again, very rare in the US. Maybe SCS is secretly starting Canada: that would be my guess.
Maybe because Lode King/Prestige wanted to promote those trailers and asked SCS to model them.
It's only fair to assume that Lode King sees presence in video games as a marketing tool.
No. The volume for those types of cargo are incorrect in the game files, which in turn makes the cargo weigh too little. The scales show a total weight FAR below the legal limit anywhere.
Caribear

#13 Post by Caribear » 16 Aug 2022 19:47

LAFAYET47 wrote: 16 Aug 2022 09:54 If you want heavier cargoes, you will need to make a mod. Increasing the mass values of the cargoes should work.
I made a mod. Didn't change the mass, but changed the volume the cargo takes up so that it totals to something close to IRL.
LAFAYET47

#14 Post by LAFAYET47 » 16 Aug 2022 20:09

@Caribear as far as I know increasing the volume will have the opposite effect, your cargoes will be lighter.
LeafeonGold

#15 Post by LeafeonGold » 16 Aug 2022 21:53

The main thing that limits how heavy vehicles get is the mass limits set in the country def files. One of my mods overrode this to Austrailian specs, which is higher than what we can carry in the states, and the cargo weights offered to me also doubled in my experience.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| XFX Radeon RX 590 8GB |//| 16GB RAM |//| 1TB HDD​
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
EllieODaire

#16 Post by EllieODaire » 17 Aug 2022 04:57

Another thing to note: trailers are rated for higher weights than they are expected to carry on highways. Most individual non-steerable semi-tractor and semi-trailer axles are designed to carry up to 20,000 pounds each, which allows the vehicle to be used for higher weights in off highway use (particularly relevant for grain trailers) and prevents damage to the vehicle when inadvertently overloaded or imbalanced. Wiggle room between the designed maximum vehicle weight and the combined vehicle weight rating that the vehicle regularly operates at is intentional.

Return to “General discussion about the game”