GVWR vs Gross Trailer Weight Limit

Caribear

GVWR vs Gross Trailer Weight Limit

#1 Post by Caribear » 14 Aug 2022 13:29

Hi guys,

Could someone with some IRL trucking knowledge explain this to me please. From what I can gather on the internets the GVWR of a Lode King Super B hopper is ~70000 kg, so subtracting the chassis of ~12020 gives a maximum cargo weight of ~57980 kg. Am I correct in this? The game files list the Gross Trailer Weight Limit of the same trailer as 43000 kg. What does this mean and why is it so very different from the GVWR? Moreover, I looked up the volume of this trailer and worked out the weight grain would be filling it and it is WAY higher than the jobs offered by the game, more than three times as much in fact. What is going on here? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Optional Features

Re: GVWR vs Gross Trailer Weight Limit

#2 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 21:48

Caribear wrote: 14 Aug 2022 13:29 Hi guys,

Could someone with some IRL trucking knowledge explain this to me please. From what I can gather on the internets the GVWR of a Lode King Super B hopper is ~70000 kg, so subtracting the chassis of ~12020 gives a maximum cargo weight of ~57980 kg. Am I correct in this? The game files list the Gross Trailer Weight Limit of the same trailer as 43000 kg. What does this mean and why is it so very different from the GVWR? Moreover, I looked up the volume of this trailer and worked out the weight grain would be filling it and it is WAY higher than the jobs offered by the game, more than three times as much in fact. What is going on here? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Not a trucker, but I think the super B gvwr is including the trailer and truck. And from what I know about Canada (not a Canadian either), the gross weight for a super B is about 140k pounds. The semi itself is like 20k pounds. The trailer is another 20k let's say. So that gives about 100k pounds for cargo.

As for volume vs cargo weight, grain trailers are not filled to the top and across to both sides. Cargo is heaped, so the middle will be tall, but the sides will be down a bit.

I wish we had cargo planes in game, but oh well.
Caribear

#3 Post by Caribear » 15 Aug 2022 09:48

If what you say is correct, something is badly wrong somewhere in the game files. I looked up the trailer on the mnfr website and they have two volume stats, one is for "water level" and the other is for "heaped". Heaped is higher than the water level one. The volume for the trailer in the game files is 2655 cu ft. The mfr website has quite a few options for this trailer, some more that that, some less, but lets take that figure. So taking your figures and making them even more conservative, lets say 25k for the truck and 25k for the trailer, which leaves 90000 pounds max for cargo. The weight for grain per volume I found is around 49 pounds per cubic foot, which comes to just over 130k pounds at maximum. This makes no sense though because why would you build a trailer specifically for hauling grain that has the ability to haul a specific volume of grain, but that can only carry ~70% of it. (????). But ok, let's go with that 70%. The game offers grain loads for this trailer of around 31000 pounds. This is but a third of the maximum weight? What is going on???
supersobes
Global moderator

#4 Post by supersobes » 15 Aug 2022 17:00

Not all states allow trucks to gross up 130,000 pounds. In fact, very few do. It could be likely that the game is limiting the amount of grain you can put into the trailer to make sure the weight of truck is legal for the region you're hauling in.
Optional Features

#5 Post by Optional Features » 15 Aug 2022 17:58

Caribear wrote: 15 Aug 2022 09:48 If what you say is correct, something is badly wrong somewhere in the game files. I looked up the trailer on the mnfr website and they have two volume stats, one is for "water level" and the other is for "heaped". Heaped is higher than the water level one. The volume for the trailer in the game files is 2655 cu ft. The mfr website has quite a few options for this trailer, some more that that, some less, but lets take that figure. So taking your figures and making them even more conservative, lets say 25k for the truck and 25k for the trailer, which leaves 90000 pounds max for cargo. The weight for grain per volume I found is around 49 pounds per cubic foot, which comes to just over 130k pounds at maximum. This makes no sense though because why would you build a trailer specifically for hauling grain that has the ability to haul a specific volume of grain, but that can only carry ~70% of it. (????). But ok, let's go with that 70%. The game offers grain loads for this trailer of around 31000 pounds. This is but a third of the maximum weight? What is going on???
US states have lower max weight than Canada on the same number of axles. The max weight for a Super B in two west coast states is somewhere around 105k. South Dakota and Michigan allow much higher gross, but on more axles.

I think I understand the question more, though. Why did SCS include a Canadian spec trailer that cannot reach its max payload in the states in the game? None of us know, but these grain trailers are quite rare south of the border from all I can tell. We also got tri drives with that one update, but again, very rare in the US. Maybe SCS is secretly starting Canada: that would be my guess.

Wilson and Timpte plus a handful of other brands would have been more fitting.
Caribear

#6 Post by Caribear » 16 Aug 2022 08:31

supersobes wrote: 15 Aug 2022 17:00 Not all states allow trucks to gross up 130,000 pounds. In fact, very few do. It could be likely that the game is limiting the amount of grain you can put into the trailer to make sure the weight of truck is legal for the region you're hauling in.
Having looked around more I have discovered this is not an issue with the trailer at all. It is a problem with the cargo ingame. The game files have grain, potato and sugar beat listed as having a far lower weight than it is in reality. That is the cause of the low weight jobs being offered. Interestingly, "Pelleted Animal Food" (the last of the four cargos available for that trailer) is more correct and offers proper jobs.
Caribear

#7 Post by Caribear » 16 Aug 2022 08:33

seriousmods wrote: 15 Aug 2022 17:58
Caribear wrote: 15 Aug 2022 09:48 If what you say is correct, something is badly wrong somewhere in the game files. I looked up the trailer on the mnfr website and they have two volume stats, one is for "water level" and the other is for "heaped". Heaped is higher than the water level one. The volume for the trailer in the game files is 2655 cu ft. The mfr website has quite a few options for this trailer, some more that that, some less, but lets take that figure. So taking your figures and making them even more conservative, lets say 25k for the truck and 25k for the trailer, which leaves 90000 pounds max for cargo. The weight for grain per volume I found is around 49 pounds per cubic foot, which comes to just over 130k pounds at maximum. This makes no sense though because why would you build a trailer specifically for hauling grain that has the ability to haul a specific volume of grain, but that can only carry ~70% of it. (????). But ok, let's go with that 70%. The game offers grain loads for this trailer of around 31000 pounds. This is but a third of the maximum weight? What is going on???
US states have lower max weight than Canada on the same number of axles. The max weight for a Super B in two west coast states is somewhere around 105k. South Dakota and Michigan allow much higher gross, but on more axles.

I think I understand the question more, though. Why did SCS include a Canadian spec trailer that cannot reach its max payload in the states in the game? None of us know, but these grain trailers are quite rare south of the border from all I can tell. We also got tri drives with that one update, but again, very rare in the US. Maybe SCS is secretly starting Canada: that would be my guess.

Wilson and Timpte plus a handful of other brands would have been more fitting.
See above. Taking into account that states would have a MUCH lower weight limit, the weight of offered jobs are FAR less than the legal limit. It is a problem with the cargo, not the state limits or the trailers.
Eugene
Global moderator

#8 Post by Eugene » 16 Aug 2022 08:44

There are weight stations in game. Load up, and drive to a scale.
I'm almost sure, Sobes is right and cargo weight is reduced to fit in legal limits.
seriousmods wrote: 15 Aug 2022 17:58 US states have lower max weight than Canada on the same number of axles. The max weight for a Super B in two west coast states is somewhere around 105k. South Dakota and Michigan allow much higher gross, but on more axles.

Maybe because Lode King/Prestige wanted to promote those trailers and asked SCS to model them.
It's only fair to assume that Lode King sees presence in video games as a marketing tool.
LAFAYET47

#9 Post by LAFAYET47 » 16 Aug 2022 09:54

If you want heavier cargoes, you will need to make a mod. Increasing the mass values of the cargoes should work.
lweb3

#10 Post by lweb3 » 16 Aug 2022 14:02

Yes the cargo weights are off. It would be nice if somehow they could code it so that with a bulk trailer (hopper, dump, dry bulk, etc) the cargo weight would change depending on the truck you're driving. In reality when you load any kind of bulk commodity you put as much on as you legally can. So a full load of grain in a hopper bottom should be closer to 50-55k lbs depending on your truck. And given that bulk materials all vary in weight by volume, most trailers are made so that you can get a full load of even lighter weight materials

Return to “General discussion about the game”