Best Steering Wheel Setup for the money????

Jerkey

Best Steering Wheel Setup for the money????

#1 Post by Jerkey » 19 Aug 2022 05:11

I'm looking at getting off the keyboard and into a Steering Wheel setup. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Would like to get the Steering Wheel, pedals and shifter. Probably just clamping it to the desk at first and later maybe getting a stand setup later.

Thanks,
Mike
Underscore_101_

Re: Best Steering Wheel Setup for the money????

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 19 Aug 2022 15:28

Maybe mention a budget, because ,.. well quality and price varies a lot, and that way users can give you more specific "advice" :-)

And a free tip, once you've decided on what you want, shop around, prices for the same thing can also vary a lot by retailer, or country, or even seasons, so maybe also look at price history.

btw, i would recommend a Thrustmaster TX base (wheel sells separately, but also comes in bundles), their TH8A shifter, and either the basic 3 pedal set, or the pro version, what i just mentioned is about 580 Euro as a bundle where i live to give you an idea, but if you're in the USA, there's a 500 Dollar set at Amazon, but doesn't come with the shifter, does have a nicer wheel though :-)

edit: for a little less i'd say a Thrustmaster TMX Pro (has 3 foot pedals), shifter comes separately.
another edit: this is a recent thread on the Steam ATS forum, of which there are many alike, but it's about what people use:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/270880/d ... 659952408/

Now it's time to wait for the Logitech army :-)
Jerkey

#3 Post by Jerkey » 20 Aug 2022 02:34

Thank You for the reply. I will look into your suggestions.
rookie31st

#4 Post by rookie31st » 20 Aug 2022 17:42

Underscore_101_ wrote: 19 Aug 2022 15:28Now it's time to wait for the Logitech army
I own Logitech G25 for over 15 years. Don't use it much, but I love it. It still works great mostly because it has relatively low hours on it. Still, I would recommend Thrustmaster. Logitech wheels and other peripherals have lost quality in the past decade or so. I wouldn't even recommend their premium keyboard anymore.

P.S. And this has nothing to do with gameplay questions
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Jimg123

#5 Post by Jimg123 » 23 Aug 2022 15:02

I would definitely recommend the Thrustmaster TH8A shifter. It’s worlds better than the Logitech system. Wheels and pedal s, I’d recommend either Thrustmaster or Fanatec
VTXcnME

#6 Post by VTXcnME » 23 Aug 2022 15:33

I've been running a Logitech Driving Force GT and now a Logitech G29 set up. Logitech works fine for ATS. There are brand preferences, certainly, but Logitech works absolutely perfectly.

Best advice was mentioned above, once you pick your brand, price shop around, I noticed a huge disparity between Amazon/Walmart/Best Buy. Your local/regional retailers I'd guess are the same.

I would stick to the name brands of Logitech or Thrustmaster. After that, it's absolutely dealers choice which you end up with. Price for me was a huge point. I literally use my wheel/pedal setup for ATS and that's it. I wasn't about to spend 400+ on a setup I used for 1 game. The logitech on holiday sale with pedals/shifter I picked up for less than $200. Far more reasonable.

I've seen some knock off/no name wheel and pedal combos around the web and the reviews seem more negative than positive.
Jimg123

#7 Post by Jimg123 » 24 Aug 2022 19:04

As a follow up, I do have a Logitech G29 wheel pedal and shifter combo, and I would agree the wheel and pedals are fine for ATS. In fact, I have retro-fitted an SCI 18” truck wheel to the system, and it’s worked great. Pedals are fine for ATS as well.

The weak link is the shifter (not the paddle shifters, that are perfect for turn signals IMO) because of the weak shift springs when using an Eaton Fuller style shifter control. The Thrustmaster TH8A is a much better shifter platform for the heavier shifter/extension bars that are popular.

Stay with the name brand stuff (Logitech, Thrustmaster, or Fanatec) and you can’t go wrong. Force feedback works fine with ATC on these systems, which adds a great amount of immersion.

Add TrackIR, and you will be a happy camper!
findingjayne

#8 Post by findingjayne » 27 Sep 2022 15:57

Good advise given above. You get what you pay for.

My 2 cents.

Avoid "economy" bundles such as the Thrustmaster T80 or similar UNLESS purchasing second hand dirt cheap just to have "something" while saving up for good direct drive system.

That approach worked well for me anyway.

It took a while to save up and get them, but now have Fanatec components for everything and zero regrets.

Return to “Help center - player to player”