Switzerland Rework Discussion

Janaff

Re: Switzerland Rework Discussion

#141 Post by Janaff » 26 Jan 2023 02:02

For a bit of fun, I took the dev cam around the current Switzerland to see what we already have, and I noticed that Switzerland got the route distance markers in the update a while back. For the curious, these are the cities mentioned on distance markers but are not in-game:

Lugano
Luzern
Basel
Lausanne
Winterthur

Obviously, this does not mean these cities are coming in the rework. However, I think it's interesting that the devs still took the time to measure out these cities despite them not physically existing in the game. The distance markers came in Update 1.44 (12 May 2022), which is near-certainly after the Switzerland rework at least started to be planned out. I wonder if that means any of these places may appear in some form (scenery included) in the rework.
Regor02

#142 Post by Regor02 » 26 Jan 2023 12:03

yep, rather impossible to include many of there cities. Lausanne and Winti are impossible to include, as they are very close (at 1:20) to Geneva and Zurich respectively. Luzern and Lugano are possible with some tweaking but it's either one or the other, as the resulting squeezing of the map would basically make them look adjacent, which is very unrealistic.
Basel is the only city that HAS to be included, it's one of the biggest economies in the country and has a huge port, would be a welcome addition
Aziz

#143 Post by Aziz » 26 Jan 2023 13:57

There's a lot of road signs in both games that point nowhere, I wouldn't get my hopes high (if I had any).
oldmanclippy

#144 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 Jan 2023 16:47

I have a feeling that if Basel is modeled in any way it will be similar to how Orleans is now: its existence is acknowledged and you know you're driving by it but it will be inaccessible. Maybe not but I wouldn't get hopes up for it.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Trucker Nik

#145 Post by Trucker Nik » 26 Jan 2023 17:09

It occurred to me to ask if something was said in the Christmas stream about Switzerland, for example whether or not it will be ready for 1.47?
Trichoco

#146 Post by Trichoco » 26 Jan 2023 17:17

I think Basel should be included enen if it have neither garages nor companies. When you arrive from french A35, the border crossing is litteraly the city limit, you drive around city-tunnel highways. That would be a great feel to have it in the game.
About another new, I think Luzern would be very nice.
Lugano could be seen but to me the most important in Ticino area would be the Chiasso border crossing.
Janaff

#147 Post by Janaff » 26 Jan 2023 17:18

Winterthur is a place that I didn't consider before because of how close it is to Zurich (it's on the Zurich S-Bahn for perspective), but looking at a map I realise that it probably does need to be modelled at least as scenery because of how the A1 skirts around it. Maybe it could be treated as a Zurich suburb in this case.

I doubt Switzerland will be 1.47; we don't have a Zurich blog yet, nor do we have blogs for things like the Alps (which we did get for Austria) or border crossings. I think 1.48 is probably, probably 1.49 at the latest.
Aziz

#148 Post by Aziz » 26 Jan 2023 17:19

Virtual Trucker 51 wrote: 26 Jan 2023 17:09 It occurred to me to ask if something was said in the Christmas stream about Switzerland, for example whether or not it will be ready for 1.47?
No, there's still no official mention of 1.47 at all as far as I know. And per last post,
While we are currently unable to say when exactly will this project be finished and available to players[...]
ninjawarrior1x3

#149 Post by ninjawarrior1x3 » 26 Jan 2023 18:03

Trichoco wrote: 26 Jan 2023 17:17 I think Basel should be included enen if it have neither garages nor companies. When you arrive from french A35, the border crossing is litteraly the city limit, you drive around city-tunnel highways. That would be a great feel to have it in the game.
About another new, I think Luzern would be very nice.
Lugano could be seen but to me the most important in Ticino area would be the Chiasso border crossing.
That would also be important if they are extending the A5 Autobahn south of Karlsruhe (which is not impossible, as implied by the hint of the A40 in France being included). That Autobahn would meet the existing Swiss A2 in Basel.
Marcello Julio

#150 Post by Marcello Julio » 26 Jan 2023 18:12

At least 1 new city would be enough to be included. I believe we have space. Previously I had said 2, which would certainly be even better, but thinking realistically based on the scale, 1 city would be possible.

Return to “General discussion about the game”