Switzerland Rework Discussion

Janaff

Re: Switzerland Rework Discussion

#131 Post by Janaff » 25 Jan 2023 16:28

Image 8 is here

The roads don't match 1:1, but Image 3 is around here

That leaves Image 9. Notice the Kathode sign in the background; since we know where the Kathode depot is located thanks to Image 3, that means Image 9 is probably based on this place.
Krystian05

#132 Post by Krystian05 » 25 Jan 2023 16:41

Awesome guys! Thanks for your work - with the google maps locations! Greetings
Aziz

#133 Post by Aziz » 25 Jan 2023 17:09

Multi lane roads without median? Non standard T-junction? What is happening?? :o
ninjawarrior1x3

#134 Post by ninjawarrior1x3 » 25 Jan 2023 17:30

Regor02 wrote: 16 Sep 2022 19:51 Hello all, I haven't posted in a long time here but now that they are rebuilding my city, Geneva, I had to post again.

First of all, I have to say that both pictures of Geneva look amazing, congratulations SCS. The only thing i have to say is about the flags on the Mont Blanc Bridge. They change week in week out (for example for pride month, UN Summits etc.) but usually it's one swiss flag and one geneva flag alternating.

[ external image ]

I tried to make a map of the possible new In-game Geneva and here it is :

[ external image ]

In red I have highlighted the highways. Now, I have highlighted the French A40 east towards Lyon instead of the currently ingame A41 because iirc it's way more used and it has a very scenic part. I'm ok with SCS not including it, but in this case I hope they rework A41.
The A40 east towards Italy (that is highlighted in orange) passing through the world famous Mont-Blanc Tunnel is not currently in game, and I know many fans want it, so I sincerely hope they add it altough I know it's not something you expect to see in a SWITZERLAND rework, but maybe after.
In green are non-highway roads. I didn't expect the center of Geneva to be built to be honest, and i'm very surprised (which means that we'll also have 1 or 2 depots close to the city center). The Route 1 north that runs alongside the lake and close to the UN, WTO, Red cross, is very scenic, I hope it makes it into the game.

Geneva has 3 main industrial areas, where we would have most of the depots in game. I have circled them in purple.
the biggest one being situated in Meyrin and Vernier, near the airport
The second and third one are fairly close to each other but are two distinct areas, the first one being situated in Plan-les-Ouates (a Rolex plant is situated here), and the other between Carouge and Lancy (btw the stadium of the local team, and my favorite team, is situated here, in case SCS sees this, you know what to do :lol: )

Inside the blue circle is THE thing I would like to see implemented in game : CERN. As you know, Geneva is home to many international Organisations, and CERN is one of those. CERN is the European Organization for Nuclear Research, a big science research facility, which has a huge experimental facility, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider). I would love SCS to implement this into the game, as I know many trucks deliver there, and also because it would be a unique experience in the game.
Since CERN is cross-border and many of the sites are situated in France (although the main one is in Switzerland), that would make Geneva the first pluri-nation city in the game (and it would make sense, as in real life it kinda is)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Going a bit outside of Geneva, we need to talk about the horribly inaccurate road to Dijon.
I know it's mainly in France, but they have to rework it, as it normally goes through the Jura Mountains, through a beautiful little village called Saint-Cergue and a very small border town called La Cure, home to a hotel which is actually half in France, half in Switzerland

Saint-Cergue
[ external image ]

La Cure
[ external image ]

Here is a map of the region. The Road would go from Nyon to the French road "D1005"
[ external image ]
I deemed this to be a good time to look back and see what you predicted correctly and what may have surprised you.

1. The Plan-des-Oates industrial area has been included in the game.
2. The inclusion of the French A40 motorway east of Geneva has been hinted at by one of the paragraphs.

3. You did not predict the road up to Versoix and its chocolate factory to be included.
4. You did not predict SCS to add some agricultural industry near Geneva.
Janaff

#135 Post by Janaff » 25 Jan 2023 17:46

The blog describes a 'railway terminal'. It could just be referring to Gare de Geneva as a scenery piece, but it could plausibly be hinting at this major railway depot, which could fit with what we know of the road layout so far. This depot happens to be right next to a shopping centre; the blog describes a 'shopping mall' as another location. This makes me think that this area will appear in the rework, even though we haven't seen images of it yet.
oldmanclippy

#136 Post by oldmanclippy » 25 Jan 2023 18:39

I really like how SCS is continuing the trend of getting us into the city center in big cities that they started with the Austria rework. It's pretty important IMO to do that in ETS2 because in ATS we get a good amount of local flavor just by driving through big cities on interstates, but with how ring roads are set up in Europe it's nice to be able to get surface streets in these big cities so that we can see more of them.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Janaff

#137 Post by Janaff » 25 Jan 2023 18:59

I really like how they're handling city designs in these Germany, Austrian and Swiss reworks so far, and I hope it shows up in West Balkans as well.

Something I hope gets looked at soon are Swiss licence plates and emergency vehicles.

Swiss licence plates are known for being tiny on the front (300 × 80 mm front, vs 500 × 110 mm back), and that absolutely should be in-game. I think they actually reworked Italian licence plates upon the release of Italia to do the same thing, so I hope the same happens here.

For emergency vehicles, Swiss police cars are a bit tricky because they're very decentralised. You have Cantonal police forces and city police forces, all of whom have their own designs. I'm not expecting SCS to go out and make 26 Swiss police cars, but I think we could at least get French, German and Italian versions.

That also slightly reminds me: We likely need Swiss border guard vehicles (French and Italian versions), plus those of Italy (responsibility of the Financial Guard), France, Austria and Germany. Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away, but one can hope!
BRCKHMPTN

#138 Post by BRCKHMPTN » 25 Jan 2023 20:34

Today's blog was absolutely lovely once again, I also really like the fact that the Swiss guard rails have been modeled and are being added, might seem like a trivial detail but it does not go unnoticed and it definitely adds to the overall immersion! In fact, one of my very few gripes with the Austrian rework is the fact they reused the guard rails from iberia DLC, whereas reflectors in Austria are red/white and not orange like in Spain. A small change was needed (I guess there is the possibility to remove or change the reflectors on an existing model of a guard rail, but I might be wrong, maybe the creation of a new one was required) but probably they didn't think it was that essential, a shame. Anyway, it's good this has been taken into account for Switzerland as they have some rather unique ones. Keep up the great work! And I agree with Janaff on the choice of emergency and police cars, yeah license plates rework would be very nice indeed to better match the real life counterpart but I'd say it is not happening unfortunately. I think Italian license plates have the same size both on the front and the back, and they only made changes to the one on the trailers (because after the change it starts with XA as in real life, it didn't happen before in the game).
SenseFM

#139 Post by SenseFM » 25 Jan 2023 21:27

Love the look of Geneva, and finally we're going to be able to see Lake Geneva, which doesn't exist in the current base map. This quote especially caught my attention:
It will be possible to drive along the beautiful Geneva lake, ride through the city center, cross the Rhône river with a view of the lake and a famous fountain, and then continue via A40 further East in the direction of France.
A40 is a French motorway and it currently doesn't exist in the game. In real life, it starts from A6 near Mâcon and ends at the Mont Blanc Tunnel, at the border with Italy. I suppose what's more likely to happen is that a bit of A40 will be featured as Geneva's bypass, due to its course basically following the Switzerland-France border.

It would be great though if we could get the Mont Blanc along with Switzerland's rework, since it's the only trans-Alpine motorway that's missing in the current map, and an A Class E-road (E25). The Mont Blanc Tunnel, while not in Switzerland, is located very close to its border, and the Austria Rework included some updated places outside of Austria's borders (i.e. the München-Innsbruck road in Germany).

BTW, a possible connection to A40's west end already exists in the game - Exit 29 to Mâcon from A6 is actually modeled in the game, although it's not very realistic. The IRL stretch of A40 between Mâcon and Geneva traverses the Jura Mountains and it's also very scenic, but I think its inclusion in ETS2 is even less likely.
NonanteNeuf

#140 Post by NonanteNeuf » 25 Jan 2023 23:06

I've literally cycled the roads I todays blog and they look fantastic! Can't wait for this to come out.

Return to “General discussion about the game”