Jump from Windows to Linux.

Grey Cat

Jump from Windows to Linux.

#1 Post by Grey Cat » 24 Sep 2022 02:00

I have been using Linux for a long time in my daily activities. But the game is still on Windows. I have a plan to port ETS to Linux. I know the Linux version of the game works. But I have some questions.
Do Promods work?
And the things I can abandon if they don't work:
Does TruckersMP work (eg through Wine)?
Does Trucksbook or another telemetry app work?
In multiplayer I use Medal to make video clips. Does it work on Linux or are there alternatives that can also make short clips? Don't recommend OBS, it's complicated.
Berniyh

Re: Jump from Windows to Linux.

#2 Post by Berniyh » 08 Nov 2022 13:22

Grey Cat wrote: 24 Sep 2022 02:00In multiplayer I use Medal to make video clips. Does it work on Linux or are there alternatives that can also make short clips? Don't recommend OBS, it's complicated.
Well, OBS is the tool for the job and it's supported on Linux, so it surely is the way to go.

There are a couple of screen capturing tools available for Linux as well, but they might not be the best options, because not all of them support e.g. hardware encoding using your GPU (which OBS does). See here for a short list of tools:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/01/4 ... sktop.html

Personally, I rarely do such things, but I didn't find OBS too hard to set up, so I'd go with that. Also, since it's the most-used tool in this area, you'll find many tutorials on that topic to help you with the setup.

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”