ETS2 1.46 Discussion Thread

Tekashi

Re: ETS2 1.46 Discussion Thread

#401 Post by Tekashi » 25 Nov 2022 12:18

A new experimental with the Feldbinder depot, hopefully comes out next week or the week after. Unfortunately, there is no new depot.
Max
SCS Software

#402 Post by Max » 25 Nov 2022 13:05

grimes wrote: 23 Nov 2022 12:58 @Some newbie driver - It's common courtesy to reply to a message someone has sent you even if that reply is to say no or not at the moment, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to excuse ignoring it. The only response I've had from SCS and the last time I contacted them was 18 months ago, I was just asking if there was any update, hardly demanding they be at my service which you implied. It's not about the individual, I'm not and will not be the only one who makes winter mods either now or in the future.

Just because the game has never depicted a snowy landscape or any other seasonal environment doesn't mean they shouldn't facilite the means to do so especially as they do not provide seasons themselves, in fact they do except for this one issue, an issue that didn't previously exist.
i answered to messages as long as i could. the main long-time result was that more and more people wrote to me and wanted various things. currently, i have that many messages in mail box that i can't read them at all.
i was one of people you wrote about the terrain coloring, right? sorry, i couldn't answer directly.

the map vertex coloring was meant to color tune whole terrains and textures and to polish transitions to make it more continuous and real-like for given place. yes, it hit winter mods that were made by simple texture override as this color polish is map-based, not texture-based. it has some other issues as well so it will be changed in future (we know that for sure now). but i have no idea what the direction of change will be. requirements for the maps are that maps needs to be more and more locally customized (see player responses). neither i have idea when this change is supposed to happen.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Seerman

#403 Post by Seerman » 25 Nov 2022 13:21

A winter modder will have to accept the rules as they are. Make your mods match the changes...or don't make them.

There was a modder who made an interior driver, but after the changes in the game, which affected the adjustment of the degrees of rotation of the steering wheel, he refused to support his mod.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#404 Post by grimes » 25 Nov 2022 14:46

@Max - Thank you for your reply and the info you have given, my responses at times are born out of frustration as it's an 8 year old project I'm very proud of so perhaps on ocassion I overstep the mark, but thanks for taking the time out to answer and I will patiently await any future changes.

@Seerman - This is a 4 year old problem and in that time I have continued to update and improve this particular mod so I'm not sure what you mean, all I've been asking is when a possible fix for this issue could be implemented, perhaps you should have more respect for the time and effort modders put in rather than make such a glib comment.
Seerman

#405 Post by Seerman » 25 Nov 2022 15:14

Perhaps the translator did not quite correctly convey my idea. Rude was not in my plans.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#406 Post by Reinhard » 25 Nov 2022 15:53

The "four year old problem", if I understand you correctly, isn't a problem at all. It is feature. Terrain brushing. It improves the possibilities of map editing. Very nice, very needed. I love it. Max tried to explain it, but possibly it is not that easy to understand, if one isn't familiar with this feature of the map editor. You can brush a pattern of texture over parts of terrain, whatever the default texture is. A bit like graffiti. But these paint-strokes will be hard-coded into the map data. So if you brush some fallen leaves over grass somewhere, for example, these will stay. Even if the grass is turned into snow, by simple texture exchange. These brushes can't be modded without editing map sectors. Every brush is an individual change to the map.

Yes, this clashes with attempts to create winter mods by texture replacements only. Doing such without working on the map itself is deemed futile, sorry. And even map editing for this purpose I wouldn't recommend, because any such a map mod would be decoupled from any SCS map evolution - reskins, added roads, added cities, new map DLC, and such. Not worth the effort, IMHO.
xXCARL1992Xx

#407 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 25 Nov 2022 15:58

what Max and grimes are talking about are vertex colors baked into the map mesh, not textures, even brushed textures can be replaced because you use a simple texture as a stamp/brush and "paint" it instead of UV unwrapping a mesh and laying it over, Vertex Color is not a texture and those cant be changed because it is color data stored in vertices
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Reinhard

#408 Post by Reinhard » 25 Nov 2022 16:45

Yes, sorry, I forget about the color option of the brush tool, because I never used it. That is really something different. I didn't knew how it was implemented, until now.

Grimes, better don't expect a "fix". I thought of individual brushes, you possibly already changed ALL of these, by texture replacement, before you hit the color problem. My fault. But the rest of my reasoning remains the same, from a user perspective. The brushed color is stored in the map sectors. Which means a full stop.
grimes

#409 Post by grimes » 25 Nov 2022 17:37

@Reinhard - As xXCARL1992Xx has pointed out and you have replied to and aknowledged terrain brushing is not the issue, this has always been a feature of map editing in ETS2/ATS but can be easily modified, the issue is terrain coloring which again has always been a map editing feature but until 1.31 was able to be modified using the modding tools provided by SCS. Since then colors have been hard coded into the map data and cannot be modified, this is not only an issue for myself and other winter modders but is also an issue for SCS if they intend to implement a winter season into the game at some point.

Perhaps and most likely this issue will only be resolved when SCS decide at some point to intoduce seasons into the game but maybe SCS will lay the foundations for this long before any implementation, who knows. Until then when using a winter mod some parts of the map will look like a massive herd of elephants have urinated over the landscape.
Reinhard

#410 Post by Reinhard » 25 Nov 2022 18:43

grimes wrote: 25 Nov 2022 17:37 @Reinhard - As xXCARL1992Xx has pointed out and you have replied to and aknowledged terrain brushing is not the issue, this has always been a feature of map editing in ETS2/ATS but can be easily modified, the issue is terrain coloring which again has always been a map editing feature but until 1.31 was able to be modified using the modding tools provided by SCS. Since then colors have been hard coded into the map data and cannot be modified, this is not only an issue for myself and other winter modders but is also an issue for SCS if they intend to implement a winter season into the game at some point.
My immediate problem understanding all this was caused by the fact that I thought colors would be applied to terrain by textures. Wrong. Whatever, I never used that. Right now, the brush tool offers applying colors to terrain, if there is an other way, it eluded me. So I still think in terms of "brushing".

But what "modding tool provided by SCS" did help you before 1.31? I am a bit confused.
grimes wrote: Perhaps and most likely this issue will only be resolved when SCS decide at some point to introduce seasons into the game but maybe SCS will lay the foundations for this long before any implementation, who knows. Until then when using a winter mod some parts of the map will look like a massive herd of elephants have urinated over the landscape.
Yes, if SCS would include seasons, they would probably have to change the static linking to a brush (color or texture) with some kind of dynamic thing, which would change the use of every season-bound brush (or whatever else) on a whim. Hope we will see it some day.

Better beware of huge herds of elephants, BTW. It isn't just the color, it smells. :P

Return to “General discussion about the game”