Suggestion to Help Visually Impaired People Play ATS/ETS2

Which of these do you think you would like to see implemented?

31%
31%
38%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 13

TrickyNick77

Suggestion to Help Visually Impaired People Play ATS/ETS2

#1 Post by TrickyNick77 » 06 Oct 2022 19:24

I would like to suggest a couple of things to help people like me (legally blind) play ATS/ETS2.

1) A way to make the stoplights bigger and/or have some kind of UI element that shows/tells you the color of the stoplight that you are about to reach.

I can't see the stoplights and I want to play with traffic violations but I run so many red lights, it takes teh fun away for me.

2) Now, I know what I am asking, but I don't really know how to explain or ask it. I use a program called SIM Dashboard that I use to show things I need to know (my speed, speed limit, etc.) but when I get fined the message that appears on the GPS area is too small for me to read so sometimes I have no idea why I am getting fined. Can this message be added to the telemetry output that SIM Dashboard uses so that I can add that to my 2nd monitor that shows my speed and stuff?

3) Free up the system cursor. I know that the system cursor is dead center of the screen and doesn't move. This is not the same as the in-game cursor. You can still trap it in the game window but free it up a bit so that when I use Windows Magnifier, I can zoom into the section I want to, but since the system cursor is stuck dead center, I only zoom in the middle - I can't read the cargo list to select cargo, know where it is or where it's going. This would also help me find the correct button to push in the menu.

EDIT 03/04/2023- removed ending of poll.
Last edited by TrickyNick77 on 04 Mar 2023 21:24, edited 4 times in total.
nautofon

Re: Suggestion to Help Visually Impaired People Play ATS/ETS2

#2 Post by nautofon » 06 Oct 2022 21:54

I think a game such as ATS is great especially for people who for whatever reason are unable to drive themselves!

Better accessibility in ATS seems like an excellent idea.

Number 2) I'm sure wouldn't be too difficult. For what it's worth, I don't personally have an issue with the font size, but I like to keep the Route Advisor window hidden, so I often don't know why I got fined either. I would like there to be a log that shows all the messages you got in the Route Advisor in like the past 24 in-game hours. But adding it to the telemetry output also makes perfect sense I think.

Number 3) I can't judge the difficulty of, but it seems like it really should be possible. I'm on the Mac, which has a similar magnifier function and has the same issue when zooming in. And many other games work well with the zoom function. So it's not a Windows problem or anything. For anyone with vision problems, this kind of zoom can be crucial.

Number 1) I fear may be quite difficult. I expect the problem would be that there are lots of traffic lights, and an UI element would have to automatically figure out which is the one that would be relevant for you. Perhaps possible somehow, but the required development effort may regrettably be too large to even consider it. An option to simply make the lights larger might perhaps be doable though, perhaps even with a mod.

Am I understanding correctly that you can't see the traffic lights because of their size? Are you aware of the "zoom interior camera" option? I use it a lot. You just press the assigned button and the screen zooms in by oh, about factor 2 I guess. Makes signs much easier to read. And yes, I have used it for traffic lights as well. It may or may not help you; you would have to test it if you haven't already.

Sadly, that option only works for the interior camera view. I think enabling this zoom for exterior cameras as well, particularly the roof camera, the bumper camera and the lean out camera, would also help with accessibility. In my opinion, SCS should consider this, especially because it seems like it should be very simple to add.
TrickyNick77

#3 Post by TrickyNick77 » 07 Oct 2022 18:47

You are right that I can't see the lights. I barely can see the actual stoplight's themselves cause there are times they are far away from where you gotta stop.

The the stoplights, it should be possible to know what stoplight is directly in front of you and show all possible lights (left turn, straight and right turn), if applicable, and show them. I can then figure out which one I need to follow

Edit: The zoom feature in-game doesn't work for me.
TrickyNick77

#4 Post by TrickyNick77 » 08 Oct 2022 21:12

Giving this a bump as I'd like to bring more attention to this topic.
TrickyNick77

#5 Post by TrickyNick77 » 04 Mar 2023 21:08

Just giving my thread another bump.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”