Deeze's Ditherings....

oldeezel

Re: Deeze's Ditherings....

#21 Post by oldeezel » 24 Nov 2022 10:49

Thanks both!!

I've never much liked Mercs in the sim - not sure why, but I suspect it goes right back to my first few days in ETS where I got an Actros to drive for a single trip and I'm guessing it was the default engine sounds that put me off - imho not SCS's best effort! Anyways after palying around with the SCS Actros in the last post I got hold of @Dotec's interpretation of the MP3 and wow - hooked!!!!

[ external image ]

This thing rocks, and gives me the most immersive feeling of actually driving a truck that I've yet encountered. The V8 engine (440KW/598hp) feels like a V8 and under load the gearbox (auto 16 spd) holds onto a gear for ages. So often in other trucks the gearbox changes up long before it feels like it should, but this brute really feels like its working - and working hard - before the change. @kriechbaum's sounds (pretty sure it's running Capt K's sound) only adds to the effect. Visually the thing is a treat too, apart possibly from that massively top-heavy light bar, but that's a minor complaint compared to the wow factor everywhere else...

Nearing journey's end on a short but heavy running-in trip from Criova to Hunedoara RO....

[ external image ]

Deeze...
All these years and still on my bum in a puddle, scratching in the dirt....
oldeezel

#22 Post by oldeezel » 25 Nov 2022 11:20

Way too many semi trailers in the last few posts, so just to prove that rigids still rule....

[ external image ]

RJL Scania with rigid chassis mod and truck body by @kast , another of whose mods provides the trailer.

It's just a result of the lighting (no post-processing trickery) but the truck manages to look like it has a bit of road grime on it as opposed to the usual in-game mirror finish. I like it!

Deeze
oldeezel

#23 Post by oldeezel » 26 Nov 2022 02:30

New Scania: Endless Summer...

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Skin by @Marik on the RJL mod, from original photos of mine: here and here. Marik nailed it, bullbar and bumper and other details are the best I could find and yup, I tizzed up the exhausts, but I thought this one deserved a bit of chrome! I've seen the truck a couple of times since I took the photos, so I'm carrying around a framed print to give to the owner, who was fascinated that his truck might end up in a computer sim. But not before I change the markers on the main mirrors to white and put some air horns on it - how did I forget those?? Ooops...

Deeze
oldeezel

#24 Post by oldeezel » 26 Nov 2022 04:30

Fixed!!

[ external image ]

Trailer is a @LadenSwallow Feldbinder skin with a happily matching shade of green....
oldeezel

#25 Post by oldeezel » 27 Nov 2022 02:21

Grossglockner High Alpine Road

I had a load of logs from Romania to Austria which had something like 20 hours to spare after allowing for rest time so I elected to divert slightly and take the scenic route, which turns out to be illegal in a commercial truck: there is a dire warning to that effect at the bottom of the hill. Pay the fine, truly, it's worth it!!

Still driving the 'Endless Summer' Scania, which the sharp of eye might note has lost it's tizzy exhausts, they turned out to be made of recycled beer cans and burned through in less than a thousand kilometers - honestly chrome is just not my thing!! Trailer is 'Metalesp Bi-Train Wood Transport' by @Lucasantana (Steam Workshop) and is a really nice bit of gear. Map and vegetation are vanilla.

En route, still on the flat lands, passing through a particularly pretty village:
[ external image ]

Just above the tree line, well into the climb and starting to build a long tail of traffic:
[ external image ]

Pulled over to allow all those cars and busses to pass [sigh]that's a nice truck![/sigh]:
[ external image ]

And finally at the summit:
[ external image ]

On a slightly personal note, I came into ETS2 almost by accident after most of twenty years deeply involved in the Trainz rail simulator, where my passion was building 'routes', the Trainz eqivalent of a map maker. As such I have some very real understanding of exactly how much work and effort went into re-creating that summit scene and the roads leading to it- very very awesome work, cudos to all involved!

Deeze
oldeezel

#26 Post by oldeezel » 28 Nov 2022 09:59

Rigids rool - right?? I like rigids, especially with big trailers, but there's a trailer in the @kast Ekeri mod that I've always shied away from. I assume it's based on a prototype, but it's vastly bigger than anything I've ever seen irl, but temptation finally won and I took a trip to the dark side...

[ external image ]

Initially I had it behind a 6x4 - the Scania shown a couple of posts above - but the trailer tracked in a bit on bends, so I tried it behind an 8x4 with a rear steering axle, hoping it would kick the front of the trailer out a bit on sharper curves. The solution worked just fine on the first job - in fact the trailer was remarkably well behaved. But then I got a job from a tree growing place about half way between Pleven and Ruse, Bulgaria and....

[ external image ]

....hmmmmmm.

I nearly gave up, but decided it had to be possible, and photographic evidence that after uncoupling the trailer and re-coupling to get better angles three times, and despite discovering the edge of the drivable part of the map was way too close, it was in fact doo-able...

[ external image ]

Getting out again was easy: F6 > Enter > Quick travel lol. I did try to drive out, but there is litterelly zero maneuvre space outside the gate om account of a cunningly located tree, so reversing the procedure used to get in isn't possible. Any master driver who CAN get that rig out of there earns my ever-lasting respect!!

Deeze....
oldeezel

#27 Post by oldeezel » 02 Dec 2022 19:58

This MAN pretty much defines my tolerance limits for bling. Stripping the trailer back to pretty much plain white compensates lol. I think together they make a nice combo...

[ external image ]

detail shot....

[ external image ]

Truck and skin @Gloover , Ekeri trailer @kast

Deeze...
oldeezel

#28 Post by oldeezel » 04 Dec 2022 01:36

Back in the big blue Merc, except it's now the big red Merc, because - well - y'know - it was getting serviced and paint was an option and it's a bit like sports cars - the red ones are just better.....

I spend more than half my time driving in Romania - I love the place - imho it's the best of all the DLC and in truth I think it's because it's a bit like home, which is crazy because I live half a world away in south east Australia but if you take just these two screenshots....

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

... I swear you could just copy/paste those entire scenes into a map of that part of south east Victoria known as Gippsland and no one would realise you'd tricked them. Specially the second one with the railway line in the background and what looks remarkably like the Strzelecki Hills (named for a Polish explorer) on the skyline - it wouldn't surprise me to find the town of Warragul just around the next bend!

The empty truck was on it's was to a job....

[ external image ]

@Dotec Merc MP3 Mod, Schwarzmuller DLC trailer, Volvo DLC load, vanilla map.

Deeze
oldeezel

#29 Post by oldeezel » 06 Dec 2022 09:27

Just added ROExtended to the map mod profile:

[ external image ]

Deeze...
oldeezel

#30 Post by oldeezel » 08 Dec 2022 10:16

Return to “Screenshots”