Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

flight50

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#471 Post by flight50 » 30 Jan 2023 01:10

JeeF wrote: 29 Jan 2023 22:41
It is realistic. In real life you CAN stop anywhere and sleep. You shouldn't, because it's illegal, but you CAN.
Ideally I'd like to see the game allowing us to stop and sleep anywhere and roll a dice every 30 mins or so to determine if a cop will stop by and give you a ticket.
The more secluted the area/road, the lesser the chance of a cop.
To completely disable the option to sleep is way more unrealistic.
Hmmm. Since you put it like that.....yeah I have to agree with you. Not a bad Idea. I like the risk factor idea. I've always thought there should be a benefit to having a sleeper. Day cabs should be forced to stay at hotels.
JoeAlex23

#472 Post by JoeAlex23 » 30 Jan 2023 01:16

JeeF wrote: 29 Jan 2023 22:41 When we ask for features, we always make clear to add them as OPTIONAL.
Like the realistic fuel usage, or realistic coupling. Both are options you can disable in your settings.
People here always react like
"oh no, I don't want that in my game, will ruin it for me, please don't listen to these trolls, SCS"
and forget to realize that if the option gets added, it greatly improve the game for those who want the feature, while making zero difference for those who don't. It's optional.
But i didn't say anything about wanting features to be optional or not, my comment was in answer to someone saying that we have a problem based on how most of us enjoy playing the game, idk why i got quoted there... Driving for hours non stop makes me (and a lot of other players) happy, that doesn't mean i don't want more features, but i'm a firm believer that nobody should tell me or anyone else how to play and enjoy a game.
flight50

#473 Post by flight50 » 30 Jan 2023 04:25

I can agree with that. If I am fine not having x,y,z....that doesn't make me any different than a person wanting and using x,y,z. We all play differently for our own reasons.
JeeF

#474 Post by JeeF » 30 Jan 2023 05:52

flight50 wrote: 30 Jan 2023 01:10 yeah I have to agree with you.
:shock:
Time to pop that champagne!

But yeah... we all have been in that situation where we started dozing off 2 hours away from the destination, and if we stop to sleep the mandatory 8 hours we will be late with the cargo.
So I say give us the option to park on the side of the road, pop the hazard lights and nap for 15 minutes, with the chance of a ticket. That should buy 2 or 3 hours of energy to finish the job on time.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Optional Features

#475 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jan 2023 07:53

Well, the way the game handles rest and time is not realistic. There is no current hint of a log book system although the game forces you to sleep at 14 hours of driving. But it's not legal to drive 14 hours in the first place, and pretty much no one I know can sleep 10 hours straight.

Instead, the game should alert those with the function on that they are running out of driving time at 11 hours of driving per day or 14 hours of on-duty time. Then, the player could choose to rest a set amount of time (at least 8 hours) or spend some time (with the clock going) browsing for used trucks or trailers, new employees, new property, or more loads on an in-game internet (something I'd like to see replace some of these menus). We have a default tablet, phone, and laptop as cabin accessories, but they have no function. Stop, click on them, make the device screen the primary focus on the monitor, and let us access a handful of in-game sites. Anyways, back to the time concept.

This daily clock by itself would make the weekend, which is part of the game in theory (but not noticeable), have meaning. 70 hours of drive time in a week requires a 34 hour reset. No one legally drives a for hire commercial truck seven days a week.

Toss in some open and close hours for truck repair facilities, businesses, and other establishments, and suddenly the game would no longer feel like Groundhog Day, trucker edition.

And to add to your point about naps, enhance the driver health bar a bit. Right now, it goes from gray to blue (towards the end of the day) to red (when it's time to sleep).

We already have a default "coffee break" in Convoy mode in place of regular rest. So how about putting all these restaurants to use "serving" cabin accessories that disappear over time and contribute to the player health bar.

Enabled, players would start off with a green health bar that changed to yellow, orange, and finally red after a few hours. But stopping at a restaurant and hitting the trigger would cause a hamburger, coffee cup, or some other existing food cabin accessory to appear in the interior. Then, when the player wanted to restore the health bar to green, stop somewhere, take a coffee break (the accessories disappear), and the player is returned to the previous strength level. The same could be done with a short nap, although it would take more time.

Options, options, options. Right now, we're all playing the same game regardless of what we haul, what we drive, or where we deliver. Mix it up a bit.
Optional Features

#476 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jan 2023 09:03

Agreed: ATS is a road map sim at best. To this day, it lacks many of the basic principles of vehicle performance.

How about engine overspeed? How about engine temperature? How about brake fade? How about understeer and oversteer? How about tire slip? How about basic momentum?

We don't really have any of these things, and the things we do have, like the stability slider, are unrealistic themselves. All the way left, the truck wants to flip constantly. From the middle to the right, the truck is almost glued to the ground.

Just the endlessly smooth roads themselves pale in comparison to their real life counterparts. There are more bumps between my church and my house than all the paved roads in the 12 states SCS has released so far. And Kansas and Oklahoma don't appear to be changing that at all.

I can't wait for the butter smooth roads of Chicago and Detroit.
PBandJ

#477 Post by PBandJ » 30 Jan 2023 18:48

LOL you guys crack me up! The constant bashing of SCS and you have yet to display one game that has everything in it you are asking SCS to provide. That is because there isn't a game that does just that, because it would be impossible to do unless players were willing to pay an extraordinary amount of money to purchase it. You keep chasing every game released in hoping it will be the downfall of SCS, but these savior games just end up falling way short of your expectations because your expectations are beyond realism. So it leaves you with nothing to do but come in here and make fun of everything. So sad that you have nothing else to do, hopefully you find your game of dreams one day.
SouthernMan

#478 Post by SouthernMan » 30 Jan 2023 19:02

seriousmods wrote: 30 Jan 2023 09:03
I can't wait for the butter smooth roads of Chicago and Detroit.
This is sure to be hilarious! :lol:

(And it will also be one of the most incohient things I'll see on ATS.) But.. its what its.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#479 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jan 2023 20:57

SouthernMan wrote: 30 Jan 2023 19:02 This is sure to be hilarious! :lol:

(And it will also be one of the most incohient things I'll see on ATS.) But.. its what its.
Or better yet: welcome to perfectly maintained, recently constructed Gary, Indiana!
Calibuddy99

#480 Post by Calibuddy99 » 30 Jan 2023 21:17

Str1de30 wrote: 29 Jan 2023 21:01 Do you think SCS Software will release Alaska DLC?
The developers said that they would like to get to 60 degrees north latitude, however, as far as I know, this covers the territory of Canada, not including the Yukon. I understand that it is still too early to talk about this, but I would just really like to see 49 US states, especially since in real life cargo transportation is carried out there.
They may do that, but it isn't very likely. That would be a very far ingame distance to travel. That would take 5 real life hours to get to there probably. I do see canada as a thing they can do, Someone will just have to make a mod for alaska. Maybe I will do that. I don't know.
Nothing to say here anymore.

Return to “General discussion about the game”