Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

VTXcnME

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#181 Post by VTXcnME » 07 Dec 2022 13:22

@flight50 grizzly asked for specific quotes when I mentioned the other thread.... I was just helping him with a super simple forum search to gain the answers he was looking for. It's the forum thread regarding "Next generation of the game engine and DX12 support".
J.Random wrote: 07 Dec 2022 13:05 Eh, I recall the same hopes and dreams being expressed in regards to DX11.
No doubt, happens real frequently. But for some reason that was super surprising information that demanded exact quotes.... I didn't realize it was such hidden/unknown information.
flight50

#182 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2022 13:36

Understood. I am sure he was still referring to this thread.....not another one. Hopes and dreams is one thing but saying what DX12 fixes and multi core fixes is a different ballgame. In that other thread, some of both are mixed in even within one person’s post. I definitely don’t remember much about that thread. I tried staying away from it.

For me, I see DX12 and multi core as chances to improve what we have. Perhaps that is what you all are referring to as fixes.
VTXcnME

#183 Post by VTXcnME » 07 Dec 2022 13:57

DX12 and Multi core support will undoubtedly allow for more functionality in game, how much more? Modestly I'd like to see the FPS drop around large cities go away with mulitcore support, but time will tell. What DX12 or an engine update will bring still remains to be seen when the time comes. But the hopes and dreams of "DX12 will do this" are sometimes extraordinarily lofty expectations. That's all I was addressing.

I figured with 24 pages and over 15,700 views (at the time of this post) that thread had been seen by most everyone that frequents the forum at this point.
flight50

#184 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2022 15:17

Yeah how much they will allow is up to the skills of SCS. What I do hope though is that the xmas stream in couple of week give us some details. No details means its still aways out.

If I was to dream, I'd like to see at least 4 core support minimum. 1 core to run the main game as we know it (logistics/economy) and separate all the Ai to another core. Anything dealing with the Ai and environment...one core. This core could be just as heavy as core 1. Another core go to seasons/weather and the last one everything else such as physics and whatever else is out there.
VTXcnME

#185 Post by VTXcnME » 07 Dec 2022 15:24

If they had the chops to get a divided work load like that.... I think it'd fix some of the stuttering around cities. I also think it'd allow greater draw distances so that distant objects wouldn't pop into view (though I notice that hasn't been as bad in recent updates).

I'm for anything that helps implement seasons. I think that'd be one of the biggest features to fix some of the mundane-ness that long time users are starting to face. Driving along and all of a sudden hitting a patch of black ice during winter? Yee-haw, lets go! LOL

Seasons and multi drop/LTL cargo loads.... those two things would be a very welcome addition to changing up how you haul/what you haul.
J.Random

#186 Post by J.Random » 07 Dec 2022 15:42

flight50 wrote: 07 Dec 2022 15:17 If I was to dream, I'd like to see at least 4 core support minimum. 1 core to run the main game as we know it (logistics/economy) and separate all the Ai to another core. Anything dealing with the Ai and environment...one core. This core could be just as heavy as core 1. Another core go to seasons/weather and the last one everything else such as physics and whatever else is out there.
"Dream" is the right word. That's the land of fairies and unicorns. Economy may probably be separated into another thread, sure. All the background company stuff, cargo generation, etc. Doesn't need much work, just gotta be careful and not to block the real work with this, and it's not like it's much computationally heavy in its current implementation (incidentally, it means not much of performance improvement as a result from it being on another core). AI and physics? While theoretically possible (or at least I've seen papers on it being done at PoC level), it's tricky. Physics, collision detection and AI controls are too intertwined. Don't expect SCS to split any of those into separate threads, and if they dare to try - expect many, many hilarious (or not) bugs. Weather and seasons? No such thing, that's wishful thinking again.
jarryed

#187 Post by jarryed » 07 Dec 2022 16:06

Isn't a divided workload already in place in the game from this post by Max
viewtopic.php?p=1261948#p1261948

However what Max posted is a not a true multicore experience which is what people are asking for. Keeping the main game on a single core in DX12 will be no better than what we have right now in my opinion.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
VTXcnME

#188 Post by VTXcnME » 07 Dec 2022 16:29

I don't see weather or seasons as an insurmountable task. There are other games from small vendors that have implemented a seasonal rotation. Or at the very least, differing weather scenarios.
Optional Features

#189 Post by Optional Features » 07 Dec 2022 16:35

Yes, the grimes mods prove that a simple implementation of seasons is possible now. Winter is the hardest one, but since winter doesn't happen everywhere, it could function like a map addon.

It would spawn when the game changed to winter, and disappear when spring arrived.
flight50

#190 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2022 16:42

J.Random wrote: 07 Dec 2022 15:42Weather and seasons? No such thing, that's wishful thinking again.
That's also your opinion...again... which has zero validation to it. If Pavel acknowledged it back on the June 2018 stream that he knows someday he will have to do it, the concept is not new for SCS. Not only that, but on that same stream, Pavel mentioned he hired someone to look into seasons. Obviously that task is backburner. No telling if that person is there. To say wishful, it's not quite so wishful if the CEO himself acknowledged it. If a topic reaches the CEO, and it's documented, it's on a list. Where on that list, no telling. It's a waiting game.

Pavel seems to be a perfectionist is most of the problem. If he's not content, it doesn't release. He basucally noted that dynamic needs to feel right. So anything dynamic (progressive) it needs to feel right. This goes for seasons, weather, dirt on vehicles or anything else tgat fits the classification as dynamic.
Last edited by flight50 on 07 Dec 2022 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General discussion about the game”