Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

VTXcnME

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#161 Post by VTXcnME » 06 Dec 2022 00:21

J.Random wrote: 05 Dec 2022 22:37 > Node based cargo and multi drop would change the entirety of game play for me. You could plan out loads and destinations.
That's something that requires a full economy revamp into a supply/demand-based one, where the cargo would not fill your current trailer completely all the time. Not as hard as it sounds. But it's "unrealistic expectations" and "not ATS anymore", I guess (meanwhile some people naively expect "multicore" to be the silver bullet allowing their dreams to come true).
Game play needs a revamp. It's become mundane. Multi load and a node based cargo system would help innovate the game play.

Some people expect DX12 to fix everything that's wrong with the game. Some hope multicore support will do the same thing. I know there's no magic band-aid that's gonna fix the economy. Or the cargo system. Or the fact you can only deliver to one location with your load. I know that. But that would be something that would certainly improve the game play and help some folks be more satisfied with the direction in which the game was developing. Right now, it's remarkably stagnant.

When SCS gets to a point where you can pick up a load in California and drive it cross country to South Carolina, not having the ability to drive LTL needs to be implemented. Most trucks are LTL loads. Grocery stores fill one truck at a distribution center and that truck stops at grocery store 1, then grocery store 2, then grocery store 3. Maybe they pick up empty pallets or recycler materials at each store they stop at while on route. This is how a lot of carriers work. One truck performs multiple tasks per trip. SCS needs to recognize and implement this. A node based cargo system lets SCS perform multiple cargo points and multiple cargo drops.

It's not a difficult or unrealistic expectation to improve game play.
JoeAlex23

#162 Post by JoeAlex23 » 06 Dec 2022 00:43

No offense, but anyone who thinks DX12 and Multicore are a magic tool that will automatically fix everything wrong in ATS/ETS2 is out of their mind, simple as that, DX12 and multicore will just give SCS the ability and tools to do more things and improve a lot of other things if they give DX12 the proper use.

Some people always say "but DX12 didn't do anything for other games that added it", well, that's because the devs of those games already implemented everything they wanted in their games with DX11 and there was no real benefit to DX12 because they added DX12 compatibility just for the sake of doing it.

The reason SCS has not done any of the extra big things a lot of people want with DX11 (besides FMOD and Multiplayer) is because all the big plans they had for DX11 were put on hold and they decided it was better to just do the DX12 upgrade and hold those plans until DX12 was fully implemented, i guess we will see when they finally do it, a lot of people think the DX11 upgrade was pointless but it was needed because it's easier to go from DX11 to DX12 than from DX9 to DX12.
flight50

#164 Post by flight50 » 06 Dec 2022 02:09

JoeAlex23 wrote: 06 Dec 2022 00:43 The reason SCS has not done any of the extra big things a lot of people want with DX11 (besides FMOD and Multiplayer) is because all the big plans they had for DX11 were put on hold and they decided it was better to just do the DX12 upgrade and hold those plans until DX12 was fully implemented, i guess we will see when they finally do it, a lot of people think the DX11 upgrade was pointless but it was needed because it's easier to go from DX11 to DX12 than from DX9 to DX12.
Exactly and this is why I don't push for everything I see people request for. I don't see the point if programmers are tied up with this update for the engine. Let it come out first and then we can hear what SCS is planning for options. I think there are good things coming. Sounds like a dead horse yes, but because of the past not bringing x,x and z..........I'm not holding that over SCS's head. The past is the past. I'm worried about life after this engine update. I'd put energy there if I was a dev as well. No point in wasting time outside of this engine update. I am sure there are many things planned but such possible things probably banks on this update coming. I'm willing to be we here something on the xmas stream. Imho, Pavel's face looks excited when he talks about his update. I know he wants to say more but he hold back until its closer.

Some think SCS is afraid to take chances. Well, we'll see after this update. I honestly don't think they are afraid. I honestly think they didn't have the talent to implement x,y and z under the current engine. They grew and they grew a lot since covid. People were getting laid off when SCS was hiring. That said something to me. I think SCS tries. Sorry if people don't like that answer but its my opinion. They can't satisfy everyone and they can't win with people no matter what. But imho....I think they try. They try to improve on many things but its not good enough effort for some unless the big ticket items come. I get it, but still.......... I don't see the point in trashing them for the lack there of. I think SCS got some of this talent from the pool from lay offs and we just might see some of the big ticket items. Dirt on trucks and trucks washes is one. Its a sign since the last couple of map releases. So we'll just have to wait. How long.........I have no clue but if they say the engine is getting upgraded, that's all we have to go off for now.
Last edited by flight50 on 06 Dec 2022 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
harishw8r

#165 Post by harishw8r » 06 Dec 2022 02:48

I’m confident that we are getting closer to the technical upgrade. They have been working on it for months and in the meantime we did not get so many big features as well, features that could possibly get in the way of the technical update workflow. If this theory is true, we should be seeing more new, bigger features after that.
Grizzly

#166 Post by Grizzly » 06 Dec 2022 07:11

VTXcnME wrote: 06 Dec 2022 00:21 Some people expect DX12 to fix everything that's wrong with the game.
Do they? Got any quotes of people saying that?
J.Random

#167 Post by J.Random » 06 Dec 2022 09:16

flight50 wrote: 05 Dec 2022 23:44 I won't comment to the multi core comment much but almost everyone except you thinks it makes better use of the pc which opens up the game to separate task. So it does more good than not to have multi core. Mono core as we have now will keep the game limited.
Everyone thinks that because everyone "isn't a programmer" but heard about this wonderful miraculous "multicore" thing. Multithreading is hard, mkay? There are overheads, making certain time-critical tasks not worth it. Don't expect any radical performance improvements. Just saying.
plykkegaard

#168 Post by plykkegaard » 06 Dec 2022 09:24

Multi core is needed for performance but not a silver bullet as it does not change gampley
Who said it would be the one change which solves everything?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
angrybirdseller

#169 Post by angrybirdseller » 06 Dec 2022 10:18

I like the way ETS and ATS adding gameplay improvements are not bad idea, but DX12 and multi-core will more when it slowly rolls out. Think Xmas stream they will talk about some of it.
aquila99

#170 Post by aquila99 » 06 Dec 2022 11:10

angrybirdseller wrote: 06 Dec 2022 10:18 I like the way ETS and ATS adding gameplay improvements are not bad idea, but DX12 and multi-core will more when it slowly rolls out. Think Xmas stream they will talk about some of it.
Don't expect great things after multicore.

Return to “General discussion about the game”