Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

Optional Features

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#951 Post by Optional Features » 14 Mar 2023 19:30

Yes, every type of road surface should feel a bit different. There is grooved pavement, gravely pavement, sealed pavement, as well as concrete vs asphalt, etc.
LincolnCFCruz

#952 Post by LincolnCFCruz » 14 Mar 2023 19:44

Eggtooth wrote: 14 Mar 2023 17:55 To anyone moaning at SCS: Time. They need time and solutions. Solutions that are optimal and easy to implement. Not ground up reworks. Those will come with time. Time is a finite resource, but with a lot of it, good things will happen.

Also I want to stress this: This is a first iteration of Road Bumps implementation. They outlined in the Open beta changelist that they will continue expanding this in future.

@EDIT:

Driving feels so alive now. It actually feels good to drive, atleast in my opinion.
Wow... SCS now have "Road Bumps" like Dirt3 have since 2011 :lol: :lol:

At this rate we can get TAA by the year of 2035 and about the "Adaptive Cruise Control"... Even after all the feedback they had (this feature is not new) it still feels bad, retarder going on and off non stop. 1.47 is a mid update at best!
Eggtooth

#953 Post by Eggtooth » 14 Mar 2023 19:46

Optional Features wrote: 14 Mar 2023 19:30 Yes, every type of road surface should feel a bit different. There is grooved pavement, gravely pavement, sealed pavement, as well as concrete vs asphalt, etc.
They actually do. Gravel/Grass increases frequency and strenght of bumps, while roads are noticeably smoother. There is difference between road bumpiness too, but very subtle. It's there though.
Optional Features

#954 Post by Optional Features » 14 Mar 2023 19:49

Eggtooth wrote: 14 Mar 2023 19:46
Optional Features wrote: 14 Mar 2023 19:30 Yes, every type of road surface should feel a bit different. There is grooved pavement, gravely pavement, sealed pavement, as well as concrete vs asphalt, etc.
They actually do. Gravel/Grass increases frequency and strenght of bumps, while roads are noticeably smoother. There is difference between road bumpiness too, but very subtle. It's there though.
I was mainly referring to types of paved roads. Driving at high speed on gravel should be perilous and driving fast on grass should be so bumpy it's not even an option.

But that is good!
Edoo_Kaplan

#955 Post by Edoo_Kaplan » 14 Mar 2023 20:50

We also need a seat suspension and setting its stiffness(preferably in cab in real time). And, well, if they implement it, they should make that seat animated as well. From what I've seen so far these bumps definitely need the seat suspension and also some refining but it is good it is in the game.
VTXcnME

#956 Post by VTXcnME » 15 Mar 2023 16:10

NoDe31 wrote: 12 Mar 2023 00:36 Ok... Lets do some math... We will go with steam as "approximately number". ETS2 has aprox 35,000 players per day... ATS has aprox 7000 per day. Now when you combine those numbers you get 42,000 overall per day.
Math is... 42,000x31= 1,302,000 per month. So its not impossible that at some point in time both games had combined 2mil players per month, especially back in times of nasty virus pandemic. Just be warned, those aprox numbers are example , and not actual numbers that only SCS has.
The issue with your math is you're potentially counting the same players over again. Your number assumes that each day of the month is played by different unique players, when in actuality I'd suppose that the same players are logging in day in and day out. I'm not saying that's 100% the player base, but your quick math is flawed as it assumes each day the game is being played by a different group of players than previous days. I know I'll go on a run where I play ATS 4 evenings in a row. That's still only one player playing the game 4 different times. When a new state comes out I binge ATS until I get my goals/discovery done... sometimes that's playing 14 or 15 nights straight after work. It still only counts as ONE player playing the game multiple times.

The games might be opened over a million times a month, but that doesn't indicate over 1 million DIFFERENT players.
Quark

#957 Post by Quark » 16 Mar 2023 00:49

[ external image ]
Not sure how they come to these kind of estimations on that site. And its clear quite a big percentage of this number must consist of players that opened the game just once/couple times at all. But you would still end up with possibly up to several hundred thousand different "real active" players for ATS. So, if we talk about those somewhat regular players that turn on ATS at least from time to time, my own very rough estimation goes like this: per Steam data, in recent times about 6000 players, in average, are counted as active at any given time of a day. A rather optimistic estimation of 3 hours average play time per 24h by one single player would give about 50.000 different players per 24h.
Yes, many players might log in many days in a row, but you also have a huge chunk of people that don't do that. They don't play throughout the week at all, but only do on weekends. for example. Clearly to see in the data too, when on weekends the player counts increase typically by 20-30%. Some even do breaks of many weeks. So for one month, when assuming average regular player logs in every 3 days = 10 times a month, you would end up with something like about at least 150.000 active players. Also we shouldn't forget there is an unknown number of players that (for whatever particular reason) prefer to play the game in offline mode (for example i do), so they aren't included in these statistics at all. However, one would assume that this number is rather comparatively negligeble, which it probably is. But wanted to mention.
Madkine
Global moderator

#958 Post by Madkine » 16 Mar 2023 01:05

@Quark You make a good point re hourly vs daily numbers. The discussion thus far has used the hourly peak as daily total when that's clearly not the case.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Vinnie Terranova

#959 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 16 Mar 2023 05:01

I think you have to be careful with drawing conclusions based on these kind of statistics, because we don't know how these values are calculated / estimated.

For instance:
- estimated players: ~5.1M
Are there 5.1M players that regularely play ATS, of are there 5.1M players that in the past 7 years have played ATS for at least one time? If the latter is the case, then this 5.1M is quite meaningless.

- estimated active players: ~1.6M
What does this 'active' mean? Active in the last few days, or weeks, or even months? And for how many minutes or hours does a player have to play ATS in order to be counted as an 'active' player?

Etc...

Btw, where can I find this statistics page on Steam?
Furious_Crawdad

#960 Post by Furious_Crawdad » 16 Mar 2023 12:04

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 16 Mar 2023 05:01 I think you have to be careful with drawing conclusions based on these kind of statistics, because we don't know how these values are calculated / estimated.

For instance:
- estimated players: ~5.1M
Are there 5.1M players that regularely play ATS, of are there 5.1M players that in the past 7 years have played ATS for at least one time? If the latter is the case, then this 5.1M is quite meaningless.

- estimated active players: ~1.6M
What does this 'active' mean? Active in the last few days, or weeks, or even months? And for how many minutes or hours does a player have to play ATS in order to be counted as an 'active' player?

Etc...

Btw, where can I find this statistics page on Steam?
Estimated players are copies of the game sold. So, estimated 5.1m people have ATS on Steam. This estimate is a bit high compared to other sources.
Also take note that around 20% of people who own the game never played it. This is reinforced by the fact that the first achievement (parking a trailer) has only been completed by 78% of people.
Another achievement is Gas Guzzler, which you get when you use a gas station for the first time. Only 69% of people have it, which means around 30% of players didn't play the game more than a couple of hours.
Cha-Ching, the achievement you get for when you get $100,000 delivering cargoes, has only been completed by 52% of players. This wouldn't take more than 10 hours to get.
I think I like it, the achievement for completing 50 deliveries, rather has a proper name. If you have 50 deliveries it's fair to say you've enjoyed the game and will continue. Only 18% of players have it.

Active players varies from website to website, but often rover in the 6-month range. So 1.6m player have opened ATS in the past 6 months.
These come from https://playtracker.net/insight/game/6842
According to research, this website is more accurate: https://steamspy.com/app/270880

Return to “General discussion about the game”