Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#191 Post by plykkegaard » 07 Dec 2022 16:43

Grimes has five "seasons" if you want them

Sping
Summer
Fall
Late autumn / light winter
Frosty winter

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jarryed

#192 Post by jarryed » 07 Dec 2022 16:47

plykkegaard wrote: 07 Dec 2022 16:43 Grimes has five "seasons" if you want them
People are not wanting to run mods..... *facepalm*

Running Grimes Frosty ATS....it snows in San Diego. Let me repeat....it SNOWS in San Diego. That is the problem.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
J.Random

#193 Post by J.Random » 07 Dec 2022 16:50

flight50 wrote: 07 Dec 2022 16:42 That's also your opinion...again... which has zero validation to it.
That's just Russel's teapot. Don't expect me to prove a negative. I mean, there's no indication, other than some words years ago, that seasons are in the works. There's no indication that weather is in the works. I mean, of course, weather SIMULATION. What we have now is RNG-based weather ANIMATION. You could probably offload _that_ into a separate thread, but you won't get any performance boost from it.
55sixxx

#194 Post by 55sixxx » 07 Dec 2022 16:53

Season could be the easiest thing for SCS to implement. They don't have to go all out and add all the nuances real seasons bring at the first iteration, but just a environment change would come a long way. Maybe some actual foggy weather and cloudy skies can come as well.

And SCS could take the Forza Horizon route and make the season change each week OR do long ones that change together with real world seasons. And also make it realistic and dynamic to where you are located... Like @jarryed said, having winter in the game with snow in the Cali/Mex border would be completely weird.
flight50

#195 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2022 17:09

^I can totally agree with this. First iteration can be quite simple........lay the foundation and improve later. Its the particle system that shows the heavy detail. The added build up of snow, heavier rain, add sleet, hail ,sand/dust storm, severe thunderstorm, ice.....there's simplicity they can do. Of course some will complain that its not detailed enough. But those are people that can't be satisfied no matter what. SCS just needs to lay another foundation and build on it. Who's knows what the next engine update brings. They could bring detail day one some things are implemented.

Not ideal to build foundations and not just full flat out implement all the time but its better than nothing. The issue is..........nothing is ever set in stone. There can always be room to improve. So iterations are good.
VTXcnME

#196 Post by VTXcnME » 07 Dec 2022 17:50

jarryed wrote: 07 Dec 2022 16:47
Running Grimes Frosty ATS....it snows in San Diego. Let me repeat....it SNOWS in San Diego. That is the problem.
Honestly, this is the biggest hurdle that any seasons add on would need to overcome. Where it snows and where it doesn't IRL. That'd be the hard work part I think in the whole thing.
flight50

#197 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2022 18:00

^Agreed. They have to develop some type of weather line. It can't be by state and it can't be by sector really either. Although by sector is much better than by state (dlc). They weather line dips in and out. Not only that, there are % for some states. Example, Texas in general gets snow yearly but not everywhere. Amarillo/Lubbock gets it more frequently. DFW maybe 1-2 a year we get some. We see more ice than snow in DFW because of temps not cold enough to remain snow.

So many things to develop weather and season for ATS. Its those 50/50 regions that SCS will have to most trouble making realistic.
J.Random

#198 Post by J.Random » 07 Dec 2022 18:06

Iterations are great. Too bad SCS is worse than Valve in this regard. :mrgreen:
Optional Features

#199 Post by Optional Features » 07 Dec 2022 19:06

VTXcnME wrote: 07 Dec 2022 17:50
jarryed wrote: 07 Dec 2022 16:47
Honestly, this is the biggest hurdle that any seasons add on would need to overcome. Where it snows and where it doesn't IRL. That'd be the hard work part I think in the whole thing.
The Alaska map doesn't have this problem. The road gradually changes to white as you go north, and by the time you get up into the hills, it could be a full on white out.

The same could apply to the game itself, but for a wider range of areas. Just have it be snowy 100% of the time up in the mountains come winter, and depending on weather, it could be snowing or sunny or cloudy, etc.
Reinhard

#200 Post by Reinhard » 07 Dec 2022 19:52

VTXcnME wrote: 07 Dec 2022 17:50 Honestly, this is the biggest hurdle that any seasons add on would need to overcome. Where it snows and where it doesn't IRL. That'd be the hard work part I think in the whole thing.
I don't share this view. I never dealt with it, but a short look in the base convinced me there is already a latitude/longitude weather handling. And then there is a weather editor tool in the map editor. I've never used it, but I guess it has a purpose. Seems to be interconnected to "climate.sii", which indeed handles latitude/longitude.

The real hard thing would be to implement snow. Not the flakes, falling down. Rather the snow piled up, on many a surface. Trucks, AI? Okay, you can limit it to a situation after a snowfall. To keep it simple. But streets, boardwalks, houses? Snow got to show everywhere. Up in the north, you need to display snow of some extent, not just a few millimeters of white powder.

And then you must have amounts of snow piled up because it is plowed away, already. To keep you moving on. Snow is a 3D issue.

What about the physics? I'm not talking about sliding (I think that isn't hard), but how to handle snow plowed to the side? When your truck touches it? Right now we have no soft collisions.

I don't think SCS want to implement seasons by using just some white textures. That's fine for mods, but not for seasons as part of the game.

Return to “General discussion about the game”