Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

Optional Features

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#31 Post by Optional Features » 23 Nov 2022 02:17

howey wrote: 23 Nov 2022 00:06 In some areas SCS is doing well with what they have implemented to both games. In other areas though they are pretty lacking compared to other sim genre's. The more I play FS22 and Construction sim the more I see ATS & ETS 2 is lacking in quite a few areas within relation to the Industry they are basing it on.
The best part of ATS is the distance you can drive. It's one of the main reasons I still play. No other game can compete imo.

But there isn't a lot else to talk about. Compare that with Farming Sim (for which I will probably get flamed).

This is my weekend playing as a trucker.

I started by building a fleet of trucks and trailers for my logging operation, trucks I can see and, in MP, could assign to friends to drive. It's worth mentioning that the long log trucks pictured here are not possible in ATS due to script limitations (these two types are the most common log trucks in all the states with trees out west).

[ external image ]

Then, using my lowboy tractor, I started moving some stuff to my new yard (not pictured) that I am building, again for the purpose of supporting a log truck fleet. I bought this trailer loader for to redeck my log trailers, and had to find a way to get it there. On the lowboy it went.

[ external image ]

As I drove (and took copious pictures), I had to be careful to keep the load from shifting (which it did). I had to watch my deck height to avoid bottoming out (which I did). And I had to watch my height as the only route I had to work with had a bridge with collision (I barely made it).

For the record, I and others converted this trailer from ATS back in FS17. And since that, it's gotten further updates. This trailer has manual deck height adjustment, a folding neck (and two length options), a liftable booster, multiple width options (and a beam), plus a plethora of jeeps, boosters, and stingers made from the scs model. And what's best is these parts can be stacked on the deck, have different colors, or be combined in whatever config suits the player best. I could have a five axle trailer with two pin-on boosters if memory serves.

They also don't appear and disappear by toggling the repair icon (triple lowboy becomes a single with the click of a button).

[ external image ]

I only made it to two loads this weekend, but the second was a different challenge yet. I had to fit this beast on my deck, and it wouldn't fit in either direction without being raised up on one side.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

It was a challenge, and it was both fun and memorable. But what made it fun was the chance for failure. As I've probably said elsewhere, I can roll down a cliff in a truck loaded with glass or dynamite. Damage the load 100%. Damage the truck and trailer 100%. Call the tow truck (who has me out in seconds although it says it takes hours), spawn at the closest repair station, get the truck fixed instantly (from totaled), and I'm on my way. And the load, with 100% damage, is taken by the receiver (with no payment) as though there was something left to deliver.
Madkine
Global moderator

#32 Post by Madkine » 23 Nov 2022 07:26

1948LJMack wrote: 23 Nov 2022 02:10 Here is what I was thinking of and I know it has been asked before. And that is when a new state is about to be developed, display an estimate on when the state SHOULD be able to be released and to keep the players up to date on the development of each state so that way, if the estimated schedule is adjusted, the devs should give the new estimated schedule.
Because if they do, they get constantly flamed for being late etc. With not stating a release date, they can release when the product is ready, not when people expect it to be ready.
Iberia was one of the few exceptions to this where they explicitly stated it would be late.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Optional Features

#33 Post by Optional Features » 23 Nov 2022 08:46

But isn't part of that because people are waiting on the next dlc to play? I mean I might be mistaken, but it seems like the current cycle is new map dlc buildup, map release, achievement completion, new map dlc buildup. The group of between dlc players (for ATS specifically) seems a bit low considering the effort put into the game.

I was thinking Texas would bring a lot of people out of hiding, but it hasn't even beaten Montana's numbers yet which is kinda weird. Texas is so much bigger and offers so many different things to look at.
plykkegaard

#34 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Nov 2022 11:27

seriousmods wrote: 23 Nov 2022 08:46 ... hasn't even beaten Montana's numbers yet which is kinda weird ...

Not weird at all, clear sign of decreasing player base

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
flight50

#35 Post by flight50 » 23 Nov 2022 13:47

I wouldn't say its a decreasing player base, its the price. I allowed others to persuade me that the player base would possibly break the record day one/week one when I always figured only another 2-3k on top of the high avg for new content which is about 12-13k. Texas is still too new to know if the current daily numbers will drop back to 6-8k daily. The number will drop off from 10-12k now but how much. The peak definitely didn't hit what some thought.

For some reason, people expected 11.99 for Texas so many are staying away and waiting for sales/discounts is my guess. Had SCS posted the price hike on the release blog, at least people could have adjusted to the price and planned for it better. Increasing the price and people not knowing until release day doesn't work for everyone. For many of us, price doesn't matter but for enough out there........it actually does. I actually think Pavel shot himself in the foot with Texas honestly.

Sales will slowly trickle in for Texas at this point. It will make money but probably not the lump sump they thought week one. Its not a fail by any means, just lower expectations for player base. Also keep in mind the huge time differences mainstream Europe is playing vs mainstream North America/South America is playing. With ETS2 already having a much larger fan base as is, they all pretty much play along side Asia with less time discrepancies than the Western Hemisphere. The times just don't line up when most are awake and playing.

But for Texas, all SCS can do is keep it trucking and push onwards. Once Oklahoma releases, there will be another bundle. OK, TX and NM perhaps. More people will jump on Texas at that time. The direction of the game at this point is in the hands of what this engine update does. How much can it open up the game. How much talent has SCS accumulated on staff that is skilled for innovation. Until the engine is updated, we don't know how much more satisfied we could be.
Double M

#36 Post by Double M » 23 Nov 2022 16:28

flight50 wrote: 23 Nov 2022 13:47 For some reason, people expected 11.99 for Texas so many are staying away and waiting for sales/discounts is my guess. Had SCS posted the price hike on the release blog, at least people could have adjusted to the price and planned for it better. Increasing the price and people not knowing until release day doesn't work for everyone. For many of us, price doesn't matter but for enough out there........it actually does. I actually think Pavel shot himself in the foot with Texas honestly.
It has also surprised me that Texas has not surpassed Montana in the number of maximum daily players. I suppose that in the Christmas holidays, it is possible that it will happen.

I personally get angry when I read comments complaining about the high price. It is only 6 dollars more for all the content it offers compared to the previous dlcs. It reminds me of people I know who are complaining that the heating costs them X euros a day or other essential day-to-day expenses, and then they are stuck in the bar every day.

So if texas had been released in two individual dlcs priced at 11.99 each. Those people who complain about the highest price in Texas would have bought it very satisfied? And would Texas have gotten better sales and more players?
PBandJ

#37 Post by PBandJ » 23 Nov 2022 17:02

You definitely get your monies worth in the Texas DLC. Always going to have complainers no matter what they do.
Optional Features

#38 Post by Optional Features » 23 Nov 2022 17:50

flight50 wrote: 23 Nov 2022 13:47 I wouldn't say its a decreasing player base, its the price. I allowed others to persuade me that the player base would possibly break the record day one/week one when I always figured only another 2-3k on top of the high avg for new content which is about 12-13k. Texas is still too new to know if the current daily numbers will drop back to 6-8k daily. The number will drop off from 10-12k now but how much. The peak definitely didn't hit what some thought.

For some reason, people expected 11.99 for Texas so many are staying away and waiting for sales/discounts is my guess. Had SCS posted the price hike on the release blog, at least people could have adjusted to the price and planned for it better. Increasing the price and people not knowing until release day doesn't work for everyone. For many of us, price doesn't matter but for enough out there........it actually does. I actually think Pavel shot himself in the foot with Texas honestly.

Sales will slowly trickle in for Texas at this point. It will make money but probably not the lump sump they thought week one. Its not a fail by any means, just lower expectations for player base. Also keep in mind the huge time differences mainstream Europe is playing vs mainstream North America/South America is playing. With ETS2 already having a much larger fan base as is, they all pretty much play along side Asia with less time discrepancies than the Western Hemisphere. The times just don't line up when most are awake and playing.

But for Texas, all SCS can do is keep it trucking and push onwards. Once Oklahoma releases, there will be another bundle. OK, TX and NM perhaps. More people will jump on Texas at that time. The direction of the game at this point is in the hands of what this engine update does. How much can it open up the game. How much talent has SCS accumulated on staff that is skilled for innovation. Until the engine is updated, we don't know how much more satisfied we could be.
The price definitely has something to do with it, for sure. But enthusiasm seems a bit lower than expected as well, especially on YouTube.

Some of the bigger channels that would normally make a dlc video, and did for Montana, haven't.
gt379

#39 Post by gt379 » 23 Nov 2022 18:25

Been following the average daily count for ATS since about 2016 and at first we were at around 3000 players daily; since Oregon it climbed and kept climbing slowly and gradually we are now in the 6000-7000 average daily players!!!!! So I think we are doing good! Long live to ATS!
clifflandmark

#40 Post by clifflandmark » 23 Nov 2022 22:03

plykkegaard wrote: 23 Nov 2022 11:27 Not weird at all, clear sign of decreasing player base
Let's say player base loss by %10-20 due to lack of expected gameplay change. What about the rest ? I think it's because of unbelieveable price change in 3rd world countries. Steam has become unfair to the poor people of poor countries when they wish to seem fair between all countries in their price policy.

And please consider that SCS has a good potential in 3rd world countries.

Also, when folks speculated things and hyped, everyone expect to see something "big", "very big". A day to night change...but that does not happen generally; at least in such a short time.

Edit :

I read @yukonjack_ak's advices above there. I could not aggree more. SCS should take these advices serious asap. His ideas on "how a simulation should be" reflects truth commonly for the people have complaints.

Return to “General discussion about the game”