[SOLVED] Do I use Edge Split along with Auto Smooth, Weighted Normal, and Mark Sharp?

ChiliBeef

[SOLVED] Do I use Edge Split along with Auto Smooth, Weighted Normal, and Mark Sharp?

#1 Post by ChiliBeef » 03 Dec 2022 11:44

I've now been wondering about weird reflection angles in-game and how to fix it, so it makes me wonder if I must use Edge Split in addition to when I use the Auto Smooth and Weighted Normal modifiers, along with Mark Sharp. I know I can make edges look sharp with those three, but obviously Edge Split does what the name implies.

Which makes me wonder, should I also be using Edge Split? Maybe this explains why I see weird aliasing on the angled edges on my truck's parts.
Last edited by ChiliBeef on 04 Dec 2022 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
You can write almost any way you want, and you might make yourself understood.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
Outlaw Transport

Re: Do I use Edge Split along with Auto Smooth, Weighted Normal, and Mark Sharp?

#2 Post by Outlaw Transport » 03 Dec 2022 12:54

No need for any of those other modifiers or manually marking edges as sharp unless your object is extraordinarily complex. That's just edge splitting with extra steps. An edge split modifier with the angles dialed in should be all you need. Sometimes in combination with manually sliding and beveling certain edges.

I've learned that if edge split doesn't "fix" a smooth shaded object and give it the proper reflections, there's usually something wrong with the object itself - sometimes the normals but mostly bad topology.
ChiliBeef

Re: Do I use Edge Split along with Auto Smooth, Weighted Normal, and Mark Sharp?

#3 Post by ChiliBeef » 03 Dec 2022 14:54

@Outlaw Transport Okay, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that good topology and Edge Split should be all I need to use to make a mesh look good? However, doesn't Edge Split create more vertices and triangles as compared to the other modifiers I've mentioned?

It's also confusing to hear you say that Auto Smooth is not needed as I've seen other threads talk about using that as compared to Edge Split. And, when there are funky angles/reflections/UVs, that that's when you sometimes need to use Merge By Distance? I know Merge By Distance can pretty much negate all the extra vertices created by Edge Split.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
Outlaw Transport

#4 Post by Outlaw Transport » 03 Dec 2022 15:31

Most of these things are different ways of accomplishing the same end result. This is one of those things where asking 10 people would get 10 different replies, none of which are necessarily wrong (although some of what you read in the tutorials are). I just personally prefer using one step instead of several when I can. Yep, you can "undo" the modifier with merging by distance.

Edge splitting indeed creates more vertices within the threshold / angle you set, since that is actual splitting process. So in cases where you only need to split certain faces (say if the sides are fine but the front looks funky), you can just do it manually on that face using face > inset (or just hit I)
ChiliBeef

#5 Post by ChiliBeef » 03 Dec 2022 17:48

Outlaw Transport wrote: 03 Dec 2022 15:31 Most of these things are different ways of accomplishing the same end result.
That part I understand. Now I get it.

Return to “Blender Tools”