[SOLVED] What causes these white jagged lines on some parts' edges when viewing at certain angles/distances?

ChiliBeef

[SOLVED] What causes these white jagged lines on some parts' edges when viewing at certain angles/distances?

#1 Post by ChiliBeef » 04 Dec 2022 00:32

Yup, another question from me, as I seem to put myself into positions where I encounter and create oddball issues.

Before anyone says, "Oh, check your anti-aliasing", I'm going to stop you there; this is not an aliasing issue where my graphics settings need to be adjusted. I do not encounter these issues with a vanilla truck, so there's something going on with my mesh.

I've noticed white jagged lines, or jaggies if you will, along the edges of some of my truck. They are most noticeable when you're viewing them at certain angles and distances. In the below example pictures, you can see some along the door and hood creases. And, if you look really closely in the second picture (like, "open the images up in a new tab and zoom in" closely), you can see the same effect along the intake tube within the engine bay. (However, that is a nice and smooth pipe with chrome, so I do not know if that is just a typical thing for chrome objects at some angles since the air filter tube shows no jaggies.)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Would this be happening because I have the creases too sharp? They're 90° angles and the channels are quite narrow. Should I avoid creases like this and make them rounder, instead? Or, should I have them as a different topology?
You can write almost any way you want, and you might make yourself understood.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
ChiliBeef

Re: [SOLVED] What causes these white jagged lines on some parts' edges when viewing at certain angles/distances?

#2 Post by ChiliBeef » 04 Dec 2022 17:44

SOLUTION

I'm going to leave this up just in case another person has this issue when modeling. After doing some more testing, and more viewing of the vanilla trucks, I have found that even some parts of a vanilla truck will exhibit the same jaggies when viewed at certain angles and distances. The color of the paintjob can also make it easier or harder to see them.

I've found that it does have to do with the topology of your mesh. It is better to avoid any areas where you'll have narrower crevices (U-channels) or hard angles (L-channels) that will be closer to each other, it's a lot more noticeable with very glossy or reflective surfaces in the game when they have a contrasting environment. For those who might be a bit unacquainted with aliasing (in images), it's when a curved line is drawn across square pixels; a byproduct of how computer graphics are rendered, since a pixel can only display one color at a time. So, the closer the edges are to each other, the more noticeable this will become.

I've found that spreading out the u-channel helped a lot with the hood, while sliding the door creases down did the trick, as well.

[ external image ]
You can write almost any way you want, and you might make yourself understood.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.

Return to “Blender Tools”