Texas DLC: Avid Historian Achievement

RealLocutus

Texas DLC: Avid Historian Achievement

#1 Post by RealLocutus » 06 Dec 2022 18:11

To be honest I am a bit disappointed with this achievement. Who thought that an achievement like this would be cool? Apart from small brown signs along the road you have no hint where to find those.
A friend of mine had the map from ATS with all DLC explored 100% - now he is completing it again with the Texas DLC and is at about 98% at the moment. And he only found 20 of the 30 locations!
Why dont they have a marker on the map? You even added a marker for the photograph things which are not even needed for an achievement.

I really don't understand this decision. And well I think its very unlikely that I will get 100% Achievements in ATS again. Only this achievement is missing.

Players: What do you think about this achievement?
rbsanford

Re: Texas DLC: Avid Historian Achievement

#2 Post by rbsanford » 06 Dec 2022 19:25

I'm sure the idea is to encourage exploration and teach some real-world history. Making finding them an achievement is a grind, I agree (for help, check out the wiki page), but only if you're into collecting all achievements.

A better history achievement would be passing by historical landmarks (kind of like the Powell's Trail achievement) or following historical routes. For example, a job from Fort Stockton to Miles City, via US 285, I-25, and WY/MT 59 would approximate the Goodnight-Loving Cattle Trail (as far as Cheyenne, at least) as well as other cattle trails further north. This would be much more immersive, but would require multiple states, and would require some work for the player to follow the specific route.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Trenero

#3 Post by Trenero » 06 Dec 2022 23:57

I personally like and enjoy a lot this achievement and feature, hope they include it in future DLC and reworks, (I always missed something like that especially for the viewpoints that tell you a bit of history of what your are seeing, this is perfect you can know more about the places.)

I've already have the achievement and I still miss a lot of Texan roads to explore, I simply pull over every time I saw a brown sign indicanting their position and without noticing i completed the achievement.
There are lot more than 30 markers in the DLC so is easy to do, you don't need to find all of them, and in some places there are a lot of markers by mile, is and achievement you don't need to rush or make nothing special to have it because eventually you will discover +30 markers.

There are some in cities that aren't marked by the brown signs but are close enough to the road to be discovered almost by accident while passing by, there usually placed in sites with slow speed limits or traffic lights, so you have time to spot them.

The only "issue" or "tricky thing" i found with the achievement is that some have a very small radious of activation, and you need to be almost hitting the Info sign, so make sure you get close enough to the historic marker panel.
nautofon

#4 Post by nautofon » 07 Dec 2022 00:45

I'd suggest you relax and give it some time. The DLC is brand new. I rather expect that eventually, someone will make a map showing where to find all of them. See the Idaho Highway Historical Marker Program article and you'll see what I mean.
rookie31st

#5 Post by rookie31st » 07 Dec 2022 00:48

It's just yet another sign, along with the Photo Trophy, that SCS has made the choice to move the game toward the tourism aspect of driving instead of logistics. What we need now is RV and National Parks and state landmarks mod.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Kaleidescoop

#6 Post by Kaleidescoop » 07 Dec 2022 08:05

@nautofon Thanks for pointing that out. There already appears to be a similar page for the Texas Highway Historical Marker Program, but no map yet.
I think trucks are cool.
dkasper00

#7 Post by dkasper00 » 07 Dec 2022 08:43

It wouldn't be much of an achievement, if it was easy.
I'm passionate about Mack Trucks, grew up around them as a kid.
JoeAlex23

#8 Post by JoeAlex23 » 07 Dec 2022 14:54

Exactly, the point of an achievement is to be a challenge, and i found the Avid Historian one quite fun, always looking everywhere for that sing to tell you there is one close has been interesting, also, there are more than 30 of them, so, is not THAT hard if you know what you're looking for.
Trakaplex

#9 Post by Trakaplex » 07 Dec 2022 16:04

rookie31st wrote: 07 Dec 2022 00:48 It's just yet another sign, along with the Photo Trophy, that SCS has made the choice to move the game toward the tourism aspect of driving instead of logistics. What we need now is RV and National Parks and state landmarks mod.
I know, when it was meant to be a logistics game originally. So that's what it should aim for. Although SCS didn't add Big Bend and Alpine though, which would have made a circular road. Also there are quite a few towns missing from the DLC that have historic significance.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
nautofon

#10 Post by nautofon » 08 Dec 2022 12:39

A map was created by @Glutinous Rice and added to the wiki article: File:THMP map.png

Nice work! :)

Return to “General discussion about the game”