[dedicated server] not showing up in list

Beregor

Re: [dedicated server] not showing up in list

#11 Post by Beregor » 10 Dec 2022 19:14

LogRol wrote: 10 Dec 2022 15:26 My issue was fixed when I enabled a TCP & UDP port forwarding for the ports set in the config, default 27015 and 27016.
same issue still

[MP] Steam disconnected
[MP] Session closure requested (reason - 33).
[MP] Session closing.
[MP] Connection closed - reason: 9
[MP] Session closed.
quit
TwinShadow

#12 Post by TwinShadow » 10 Dec 2022 23:02

I've been wracking my head on this one (with the ATS side, but I'd likely have the same problem with ETS2 as well if I tried the same thing) to figure out how I can get the game to show up in the session list. All I've tried lead to no results so far.

I have a small range of ports forwarded, both TCP and UDP, 27015 to 27020, even forwarded 150 to 160 (probably not wise, but was still testing around) in both TCP and UDP.. no dice. Then I remember reading somewhere about the Steam Token for the game's App ID, so... grabbed ATS Steam App ID from the store page, inputted that, got my token, put said token in between the quotes in the config file and.... nothing. Server refuses to show up in the game's session list. I'm at a loss really. While I can connect to it just fine using the direct session ID with the /151 at the end, it just won't show up at all in the list and it'd be cumbersome to have people do that every time.

Does make me wonder how others have managed to accomplish it, but I feel like I'm not doing anything differently than others are. Maybe it's because my VPS is located in Canada and I'm down here in Texas? But I feel the region is close enough to not matter.
wetarms

#13 Post by wetarms » 10 Dec 2022 23:56

I feel you TwinShadow - I tried with a spare PC I had here - I can access it via session ID but not in browser - tried again with a server in Azure - still no dice. Went thru all the same steps - forwarding, adding server token - I even put the pc here at home in a DMZ to make sure it wasn't a forwarding issue - it won't show in the browse list. There must be some little step missed by us, or clicked where we shouldn't have...
wetarms

#14 Post by wetarms » 11 Dec 2022 00:08

And I don't know how or why - mine is showing up now
toms90

#15 Post by toms90 » 11 Dec 2022 01:39

I have the same problem. I tested the dedicated server for ATS and ETS2 and found out that the error is on the side of the utility server. The dedicated server utility has a problem opening a port for communication. I am the owner of two public IP addresses. I have the server on the list at the first ip address. On the second ip address, the server is not in the list. I tried to check the port opening on both ip addresses using another application and no problem. If I use only the second address, the same problem. Therefore, if the dedicated server does not open the port for the IP address, then the server will not be on the list. Only the session ID will be available to connect, and that's the problem. SCS Software should fix this problem.
Vojtech Hladík
SCS Software

#16 Post by Vojtech Hladík » 11 Dec 2022 13:57

toms90 wrote: 11 Dec 2022 01:39 I have the same problem. I tested the dedicated server for ATS and ETS2 and found out that the error is on the side of the utility server. The dedicated server utility has a problem opening a port for communication. I am the owner of two public IP addresses. I have the server on the list at the first ip address. On the second ip address, the server is not in the list. I tried to check the port opening on both ip addresses using another application and no problem. If I use only the second address, the same problem. Therefore, if the dedicated server does not open the port for the IP address, then the server will not be on the list. Only the session ID will be available to connect, and that's the problem. SCS Software should fix this problem.
When it comes to general session search, we are fully using steam game server API. There isn't much we can fix.
Direct connect uses different approach.
toms90

#17 Post by toms90 » 11 Dec 2022 14:34

Vojtech Hladík wrote: 11 Dec 2022 13:57
toms90 wrote: 11 Dec 2022 01:39 I have the same problem. I tested the dedicated server for ATS and ETS2 and found out that the error is on the side of the utility server. The dedicated server utility has a problem opening a port for communication. I am the owner of two public IP addresses. I have the server on the list at the first ip address. On the second ip address, the server is not in the list. I tried to check the port opening on both ip addresses using another application and no problem. If I use only the second address, the same problem. Therefore, if the dedicated server does not open the port for the IP address, then the server will not be on the list. Only the session ID will be available to connect, and that's the problem. SCS Software should fix this problem.
When it comes to general session search, we are fully using steam game server API. There isn't much we can fix.
Direct connect uses different approach.
I don't want to argue here. Dedicated server of other games, have the option to set the IP address in the config file. Maybe that would help. Anyway, this is problem. If the dedicated server does not receive an IP address, it simply cannot be seen on the list. And so I only have to use the session ID. This is no good idea. It would be necessary to better solve the prime connection using IP addresses. I think that there is no problem to use the api, but for that I would solve the possibility of direct connection using IP addresses.

I tried to get it up and running by 2am yesterday and it didn't work. Even though I have public IP addresses, nothing happens. Please note that I tested it on ubuntu 20 series. The error can only be with the Linux version of the server no on win.

I would suggest, if necessary, to make a tutorial for people, where it is clear to see that it works for you. Because there are many opportunities to make a mistake. But I don't think it works well.

Thank you understanding.
Last edited by toms90 on 11 Dec 2022 14:48, edited 3 times in total.
FreakSheep

#18 Post by FreakSheep » 11 Dec 2022 19:57

Beregor wrote: 08 Dec 2022 23:38 I have forwarded the 2 ports mentioned in readme but i cant
Find my server in list

Also what is system requirements for dedicated server on ubuntu?
i got a full video on how to do it because a lot of people do it wrong and because SCS there documentation forgets some steps like 100% of the comments here two
just look my name up on youtube because the dont like links here
TwinShadow

#19 Post by TwinShadow » 12 Dec 2022 04:33

For some of us, the port forwarding isn't the problem. The problem is getting the actual session to show up in the session list of the game itself. I can connect to it just fine directly by using the <SESSION_ID>/151 as it shows in the terminal window (I use Debian to host mine), and there's no problems connecting to it. However, searching for the name, or just simply looking, it will not show up in the list and there's no errors I can see in the log or in the terminal window. (I haven't set up a service file yet while I debug this stuff, makes it easier.)

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. There's no point in me running the server if it'll never show up in the list so I don't have to keep telling people to use that specific session ID and connection port just to be able to play together. Be better to just do regular convoy sessions by that point.
Vojtech Hladík
SCS Software

#20 Post by Vojtech Hladík » 12 Dec 2022 07:32

TwinShadow wrote: 12 Dec 2022 04:33 For some of us, the port forwarding isn't the problem. The problem is getting the actual session to show up in the session list of the game itself. I can connect to it just fine directly by using the <SESSION_ID>/151 as it shows in the terminal window (I use Debian to host mine), and there's no problems connecting to it. However, searching for the name, or just simply looking, it will not show up in the list and there's no errors I can see in the log or in the terminal window. (I haven't set up a service file yet while I debug this stuff, makes it easier.)

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. There's no point in me running the server if it'll never show up in the list so I don't have to keep telling people to use that specific session ID and connection port just to be able to play together. Be better to just do regular convoy sessions by that point.
Direct search is able to find server hidden behind NAT (so even if port forwarding is not correct). That ID you use is actually used for connection, not ip address.
Only generic "find me all'' and find by name does not see behind NAT.

Return to “Technical Problems”