North Scandinavia Discussion

Gormanbros

Re: North Scandinavia Discussion

#131 Post by Gormanbros » 20 Apr 2023 00:25

The Norwegian fjords are going to be some of the best scenery in either game, I'm sure of it. I was blown away by Glacier National Park in Montana, and I can't wait to see northern Norway
rip_c_bennington

#132 Post by rip_c_bennington » 20 Apr 2023 02:53

Norway + Sweden without Finland would create a massive map gap. Also, Northern Norway would be more or less a dead end without the Finnish E8. The Umeå - Vaasa ferry is another important connection.
oldmanclippy

#133 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 Apr 2023 04:06

It'll need E8 and E45 in northwest Finland to avoid a nasty bottleneck in Norway.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Shiva

#134 Post by Shiva » 20 Apr 2023 13:55

oldmanclippy, that bottleneck thingy, is what has been on my mind, for a long time.
Either all the rest of Norway and Sweden, with a bottleneck. As in, no Finland.
Or Norway and Sweden + some parts of northernmost Finland.

Or Most of Norway, all of Sweden, zero Finland. With either Narvik or Tromsø, being the northernmost city.
But this, was if Finland, northernmost Norway and road to Murmansk, would have been the other northern DLC.
"Road to Murmansk" dlc, size would have been as if Oregon and Washington DLC's combined.

Now, with how things are in the world.
Could it be possible to have a mega map DLC again? With all the rest of Finland, Sweden and Norway?
But, that would in size, be bigger than Texas. No mega cities tho, but more smaller cities, towns etc. Way less highways, but way more smaller roads.

Northern Finland only, would be the same size as Western Balkans DLC. Or, close to half of the Iberian DLC.
Northern Finland DLC, would have a decent size, even if losing the arm, to Norway/Sweden DLC. the roads oldmanclippy wrote about. Regular DLC price.

North Norway, Sweden and the arm of Finland, that DLC size would be the size of Spain + 2/3rds of Portugal.
Arm of Finland, does not add much in area.
This too, regular DLC price. Well, SCS did not go above the old DLC price, even when Iberia DLC was bigger than the previous map DLC's.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Aziz

#135 Post by Aziz » 20 Apr 2023 14:16

Less land in a dlc==more dlcs==more potential income==more funding for the game. We thought Greece would become a part of WB but it didn't, and it's too small to be separate, so it's probably going to be joined together with western Turkey or something. Same with the north, take Sweden and Norway, and add the rest of northeast Fennoscadia as separate dlc. I'm still surprised HoR goes as far east and south as it does, but oh well. I suppose SCS knows how much they can put in a dlc to still be profitable.
oldmanclippy

#136 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 Apr 2023 14:46

Shiva wrote: 20 Apr 2023 13:55 oldmanclippy, that bottleneck thingy, is what has been on my mind, for a long time.

Or Most of Norway, all of Sweden, zero Finland. With either Narvik or Tromsø, being the northernmost city.
But this, was if Finland, northernmost Norway and road to Murmansk, would have been the other northern DLC.
"Road to Murmansk" dlc, size would have been as if Oregon and Washington DLC's combined.

Now, with how things are in the world.
Could it be possible to have a mega map DLC again? With all the rest of Finland, Sweden and Norway?
But, that would in size, be bigger than Texas. No mega cities tho, but more smaller cities, towns etc. Way less highways, but way more smaller roads.

Northern Finland only, would be the same size as Western Balkans DLC. Or, close to half of the Iberian DLC.
Northern Finland DLC, would have a decent size, even if losing the arm, to Norway/Sweden DLC. the roads oldmanclippy wrote about. Regular DLC price.

North Norway, Sweden and the arm of Finland, that DLC size would be the size of Spain + 2/3rds of Portugal.
Arm of Finland, does not add much in area.
This too, regular DLC price. Well, SCS did not go above the old DLC price, even when Iberia DLC was bigger than the previous map DLC's.
I think they probably thought long and hard about what to do with regards to Finland. I honestly don't see them including Russian Fennoscandia in a DLC anytime soon, which leaves them in a tough spot because it would be a shame to have to wait for the rest of Finland as long as we'll have to wait for that part of Russia.

I think the rest of Finland would be a tough sell at the normal price. Especially in direct comparison to the rest of Norway and Sweden, which would provide more cities and more diverse landscapes, and probably more roads too.

I don't think they'll stop at Tromsø/Narvik. All their teaser photos were from well north of there, right? Plus I can't imagine they'd split Norway and Sweden across 3 DLCs.

The rest of Norway+Sweden+Finland is a big area for sure. I think it would be big enough to justify a price increase if SCS wanted to do that. The rest of Norway+Sweden is plenty big on its own to justify a normal DLC price and would probably feel like a steal just like Iberia did, so adding Finland and keeping the price the same seems like it would be financially unwise but I'm not SCS's accountant so who knows.

I haven't checked europe_bgn.dds in a while, wonder if they added any more cities.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Shiva

#137 Post by Shiva » 20 Apr 2023 16:21

Rest of Finland, it would not have any mega cities, but there would be enough roads and towns, to sell it at normal ETS2 price.
And there are no border checkpoints, taking space, as there is in WB DLC.

europe_bgn.dds, seem to be same as before, what I can see.
I did not extract it, but checked via the map editor.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
rip_c_bennington

#138 Post by rip_c_bennington » 20 Apr 2023 23:01

Shiva wrote: 20 Apr 2023 13:55 oldmanclippy, that bottleneck thingy, is what has been on my mind, for a long time.

[...]
Ehm you want to create a map gap in a country (between Northern and Southern Finland) and which what comes Central Finland then? Also Northern Finland is pretty empty and the most important cities are in Central Finland.

Rather Central Norway + Central Sweden + Central Finland.
Shiva

#139 Post by Shiva » 21 Apr 2023 00:29

wait, rip_c_bennington, you would want to to do a middle map DLC?
There is currently only one ferry line between Finland and Sweden, that is north of Åland.
And that is between Vaasa and Umeå. Many years ago, there has been more.

Population may not be much at all in the northern areas, but there is industry etc, where truck transports are needed.

A possible route of the roads on the North Scandinavia map borders.
I am skipping most of Rv99, that is west of E8. But with it, it would look like this.
oldmanclippy, the above, something similar to what you thought of?

Finland without it's arm. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/61.4931 ... 55!1m0!3e0
In eastern Finland, I only took the major roads. Skipping the smaller roads east of it.
Taking the most eastern roads -> https://www.google.com/maps/dir/61.4931 ... 69!1m0!3e0
Dead ends not included.

How the finnish DLC, or rather, "Road to Murmansk" could have looked https://www.google.com/maps/dir/61.4931 ... 78!1m0!3e0 .
oldmanclippy

#140 Post by oldmanclippy » 21 Apr 2023 01:38

@Shiva Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. I did a really rough concept map back in December which is probably a bit too dense:

[ external image ]

@rip_c_bennington I suppose that would have been possible, but the teaser photos from the Xmas stream were really far north, including one at Nordkapp the northernmost car-accessible point in Europe. It would be extreme false advertising if it ended up being a central Fennoscandia DLC.

Return to “General discussion about the game”