[SOLVED] How do you correctly make a UI shadow? [Blender 3.4]

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: [SOLVED] How do you correctly make a UI shadow? [Blender 3.4]

#21 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 01 Jan 2023 08:57

you have to move up the UI shadow plane so it doesnt stick in the ground
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
ChiliBeef

#22 Post by ChiliBeef » 01 Jan 2023 12:16

@xXCARL1992Xx Yup, something simple that I easily overlooked. I thought I had them above the 0 Z-axis, but obviously I didn't. Thank you!
You can write almost any way you want, and you might make yourself understood.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
xXCARL1992Xx

#23 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 01 Jan 2023 12:21

you have to fit it to the truck 0 point, meaning if you move the wheel locators up, move the UI shadow the same amount so it doesnt look like it is floating, looked always funny with the wave background when people made lowdecks and only moved the wheels up 50mm but not the shadow :rofl:

some backgrounds ofc can also cause clipping even if you place the UI shadow right, but normally i dont really bother fixing the UI shadow because it is only visible in the menu (the 3D model) and maybe in the mirrors
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
ChiliBeef

#24 Post by ChiliBeef » 01 Jan 2023 12:40

@xXCARL1992Xx Well, I'm glad you mentioned it, because I scooted it up a tiny bit from the 0 Z-axis, thinking that would prevent any weird clipping issues with the "floor". Like how, in Blender, if you rotate around the object and have different textures in the same location you'll see them both try to mesh together.
Like so, for example (shadow and paint textures)
[ external image ]

But, then again, I'm still learning about how to do shadow meshes correctly so shadows get casted correctly on the outside. And, inside. Where I'm still trying to figure out why my Legacy's cab has sun shining in from the roof, as if there is no roof. Maybe I should solidify all my shadow meshes so that they have a shadow "face" on both sides.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
xXCARL1992Xx

#25 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 01 Jan 2023 12:48

thats normal in blender, is a camera setting but shrinking the shadow slightly or adding negativ bias will do the work, also the face with the normals (face orientation blue) is the surface that will cast the shadow, the red side wont, so you would have to duplicate it, move it a bit and flip the normals, thats how SCS does it on some models
[ external image ]
ChiliBeef

#26 Post by ChiliBeef » 01 Jan 2023 13:01

@xXCARL1992Xx Oh, I see. I've just been adding a thin Solidify modifier to them and then using Shrink/Fatten a bit to get them to be a bit thinner within their own object.

Return to “Blender Tools”