[IDEA] 1:5 Map Rescale Mod

Trakaplex

Re: [IDEA] 1:5 Map Rescale Mod

#11 Post by Trakaplex » 10 Feb 2023 03:52

flight50 wrote: 09 Feb 2023 19:38 I know there are a few 1:1 maps and people like them I suppose. It works for specific cities or even specific states. Texas would be a good 1:1 state but that is years of dev time. I'd probably buy a 1:1 Texas though but I wouldn't expect anything else beside Texas. I'd be dead and gone by time more states release, lol.
A Texas in 1:1 would take forever. Concerning there are 30 million people living here, that could be 4 million buildings or something. Not good. That's part of the reason why I chose 1:5 as said in the beginning of the thread. You can model near-1:1 scaled-downtowns in this map, but I'd prefer more countryside and smaller irrelevant scenic cities. It's something both games have been lacking due to scale. Also saying in total, 1:5 would be space for plenty of more roads and depots. Plus there won't be map inconsistency like rest stops preventing space of major highways. Also more urban backroads can be added, which is impossible with 1:20 technically.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
JoeAlex23

#12 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Feb 2023 04:32

Trakaplex wrote: 09 Feb 2023 19:04
JoeAlex23 wrote: 09 Feb 2023 18:45 Sorry to say it like this, but you're out of your mind if you think anyone would want to do a project like this for free, it's just outright impossible, and don't come back at me with that Minecraft thing, Minecraft has a MASSIVE community that puts to shame basically everyone in the gaming industry and that's why projects like that are possible.

Just look at ProMods, they probably have the biggest team of dedicated mappers outside of SCS and they still take a lot of time to map areas that SCS has not done yet and that is at the original scale, trying to "recreate" the SCS map but in a 1:5 scale is an outright ridiculous idea that would take YEARS to do at least only one state even if everyone outside of SCS who knows how to use the map editor could come together to work on something like this, this is as far as crazy ideas go, but be my guess, and i just wish you the best of luck on your dream.
I might create a backstab using the Minecraft example, but that project has only gotten 15M eyeballs compared to the 500M Minecraft players? The guy who started it was yet some small YouTuber. First of all the SCS devving team for ATS has 50 people currently, not sure about ETS2 but it probably is the same. To get a 1:5 scaled map we do this: 50*16*7 (to get the project supposedly done in one year), which equals 560 people. I am pretty sure the people who are tired of these maps are in the thousands, as well as people who can map edit.

ETS2 meanwhile has 13 million downloads, and I'm 100% affirmative people can easily learn how to map edit and it's very easy to open the editor as well. And ProMods itself is a limited team, I am mentioning anyone who plays the game. Moreover, what makes this not impossible is like what I reiterated, rescaling requires moving current assets on a larger map (in which grass and trees could be randomized like SCS's). Several terrain might need to be stretched as well. Many of the medium-sized cities like Jackson, WY are completely okay at current scale and can just be copied and pasted. Big cities like the Bay Area and DFW that are significantly shrunken down would only need a bit of work by extending the routes and adding custom buildings. Cities don't make up 95% of the world's land. The perception is that this would be a mega-mod anyone can map edit to for both games.

Three: 1:5 is not much larger than 1:20. It's only 16 times as large than current scale.

And doing good achievements always wins over chasing financial gain.
Yeah no, that's not how it works, only in a perfect world you would get to convince that many people to dedicate a lot of time modding a very niche game, not a chance.

And have YOU tried to use the map editor to create something? I have and i can tell you right away is not as simple as you put it, and i do have experience with modding other games, sure, there are a lot of modders out there but many will not touch the map editor with a 10ft pole, that can tell you right away not everyone who plays will be interested on messing with that, if that was the case someone would've already done something like this already, it takes a lot of dedication and time to learn how to use the map editor, and you can't just move and stretch assets around as simple as you say you say on the map editor, but not point on explaining that one to someone with 0 experience there.

And it sounds like you have 0 idea how much bigger the difference between 1:20 and 1:5 scale actually is, is not as simple as you put it like "only 16 times bigger", it's a lot more than you might think, but as i said, i just wish you luck on your dream.

And this is not one of those cases of "you doubt it can be done but i will prove you wrong", my words come from experience and i can tell you is not as simple as you put it convincing a lot of people to work on something like this.
Trakaplex

#13 Post by Trakaplex » 10 Feb 2023 04:58

JoeAlex23 wrote: 10 Feb 2023 04:32
Trakaplex wrote: 09 Feb 2023 19:04

I might create a backstab using the Minecraft example, but that project has only gotten 15M eyeballs compared to the 500M Minecraft players? The guy who started it was yet some small YouTuber. First of all the SCS devving team for ATS has 50 people currently, not sure about ETS2 but it probably is the same. To get a 1:5 scaled map we do this: 50*16*7 (to get the project supposedly done in one year), which equals 560 people. I am pretty sure the people who are tired of these maps are in the thousands, as well as people who can map edit.

ETS2 meanwhile has 13 million downloads, and I'm 100% affirmative people can easily learn how to map edit and it's very easy to open the editor as well. And ProMods itself is a limited team, I am mentioning anyone who plays the game. Moreover, what makes this not impossible is like what I reiterated, rescaling requires moving current assets on a larger map (in which grass and trees could be randomized like SCS's). Several terrain might need to be stretched as well. Many of the medium-sized cities like Jackson, WY are completely okay at current scale and can just be copied and pasted. Big cities like the Bay Area and DFW that are significantly shrunken down would only need a bit of work by extending the routes and adding custom buildings. Cities don't make up 95% of the world's land. The perception is that this would be a mega-mod anyone can map edit to for both games.

Three: 1:5 is not much larger than 1:20. It's only 16 times as large than current scale.

And doing good achievements always wins over chasing financial gain.
Yeah no, that's not how it works, only in a perfect world you would get to convince that many people to dedicate a lot of time modding a very niche game, not a chance.

And have YOU tried to use the map editor to create something? I have and i can tell you right away is not as simple as you put it, and i do have experience with modding other games, sure, there are a lot of modders out there but many will not touch the map editor with a 10ft pole, that can tell you right away not everyone who plays will be interested on messing with that, if that was the case someone would've already done something like this already, it takes a lot of dedication and time to learn how to use the map editor, and you can't just move and stretch assets around as simple as you say you say on the map editor, but not point on explaining that one to someone with 0 experience there.

And it sounds like you have 0 idea how much bigger the difference between 1:20 and 1:5 scale actually is, is not as simple as you put it like "only 16 times bigger", it's a lot more than you might think, but as i said, i just wish you luck on your dream.

And this is not one of those cases of "you doubt it can be done but i will prove you wrong", my words come from experience and i can tell you is not as simple as you put it convincing a lot of people to work on something like this.
1. As long as we spread the news that a 1:5 map would start to be developed. In the old ATS thread, there was quite a bit of us tired of scale. It's a sizable population of game players. And the BTE thing might piss you off, but it's a synchronous example. It seems impractical, but if you really put your mind to it and do not be asleep. And heck, I'm not even asking for 1:1.
2. I have been into the editor once, and I've watched at least 3 ProMods streams. I don't have enough time right now in my hands to start editing though.
3. 1:5 is only 4x the distance of 1:20 on a single line (how many times do I have to say). I already explained the asset moving. Like @Optional Features was saying, the cities in Wyoming are pretty close to 1:1 and can get stretched to farther distances with filler land in between (which can be done by noobs dragging, and there are plenty of tutorials). A single person can easily model a mountain range. An average state/small country could see 100 new scenery towns, all modeled by pro modders. Like in SCS's map editor, there will be a Google Maps background 4x larger to aid. 13 million players doesn't mean there ain't thousands of pro modders, and many of them prefer to compete with vanilla. IF we only need 560 to build a 1:5 ATS map in a year. This method was used when SCS did the 1:35-1:20 rescale.
4. There are plenty of map editors who are building larger map mods in larger scales, like you think the creator of Paris 1:1 would protest this? That map is 1:1 and it'd be like 10-20 in-game km in 1:5, and has chunkload of custom assets.
5. I believe you're painstakingly trying to "prove" nothing can beat SCS. They have limits by their map leads, and the method I will provide is no limit.
JoeAlex23

#14 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Feb 2023 05:15

I'm not trying to prove anything, but feel free to believe that, i'm just being a realist and telling you something like this made by the community, specially by the ATS/ETS2 community, is not as simple as you put it, that's all.
Trakaplex

#15 Post by Trakaplex » 10 Feb 2023 05:26

JeeF: There are two extremes in this spectrum:

Extreme Conservatives believe the game is perfect the way it is.
Extreme Evolutionists believe the game should be a perfect 1:1 ratio world with everything simulated.
Middle of the spectrum would be people who think the game was good when it was released, but the evolution of it is not keeping up with the evolution of gaming in general and SCS games are becoming obsolete.
Optional Features

#16 Post by Optional Features » 10 Feb 2023 05:29

Trakaplex wrote: 10 Feb 2023 04:58 5. I believe you're painstakingly trying to "prove" nothing can beat SCS. They have limits by their map leads, and the method I will provide is no limit.
This is one of the many frustrations I have with the forum. The purpose of the forum is discussion, and no discussion, even a slightly absurd one (this isn't that) is wrong unless it's harmful to members or whatnot.

Yet, several members seem determined to shut down discussions, which makes the forum pointless. Why are we here if we can't discuss things?
Brian Benton

#17 Post by Brian Benton » 10 Feb 2023 06:39

@Trakaplex Sometimes I feel like the base map scale is too small when I remember driving in the real world. Nevertheless, this scale is probably optimal in terms of the complexity of the implementation of the map and the time spent on construction. I think not a single living soul will undertake the processing you specified, even for money. These are years, if not decades of work. Remember how long it took the SCS to rebuild base Germany... And we are talking about a single person, if I understood you correctly. And the main question. Is it necessary to scale 1:5? Can you imagine how long it will take to travel from St. Petersburg to Lisbon? Not every player is able to withstand this, given that the game has no purpose other than viewing the scenery outside the window. It will no longer be a game, but a job. On the other hand, the insane amount of time WoT contracts will come in handy here :D .
Trakaplex

#18 Post by Trakaplex » 10 Feb 2023 06:44

Brian Benton wrote: 10 Feb 2023 06:39 And we are talking about a single person, if I understood you correctly. And the main question. Is it necessary to scale 1:5? Can you imagine how long it will take to travel from St. Petersburg to Lisbon? Not every player is able to withstand this, given that the game has no purpose other than viewing the scenery outside the window. It will no longer be a game, but a job. On the other hand, the insane amount of time WoT contracts will come in handy here :D .
Nah, I mentioned multiple people. Everybody who knows how to use the map editor, even newbies. This separate map would be for people who can't handle current scaling like me. They could either choose 1:19-1:20 vanilla or this proposed mod. I think it'd work for you to read the whole thread first to fully understand.
Brian Benton

#19 Post by Brian Benton » 10 Feb 2023 06:49

Trakaplex wrote: 09 Feb 2023 05:42 but if someone opens this themselves it would be awe-inspiring
Oops. I only read this sentence.

I would like to add in my previous comment that I would like to see the scale close to 1:1. But it should be one country with maximum detail. That is, I want to say that it is logical to make a positive impression on the players not from the volume of the map with a large number of reduced countries, but from the quality of one small location (country / countries), but on a larger scale. The length of the roads in both the first and second cases will be the same. It makes sense.
Trakaplex

#20 Post by Trakaplex » 10 Feb 2023 07:00

Brian Benton wrote: 10 Feb 2023 06:49
Trakaplex wrote: 09 Feb 2023 05:42 but if someone opens this themselves it would be awe-inspiring
Oops. I only read this sentence.

I would like to add in my previous comment that I would like to see the scale close to 1:1. But it should be one country with maximum detail. That is, I want to say that it is logical to make a positive impression on the players not from the volume of the map with a large number of reduced countries, but from the quality of one small location (country / countries), but on a larger scale. The length of the roads in both the first and second cases will be the same. It makes sense.
The ideology is for many small teams to build segments of the 1:5 map, for ETS2 that would be countries and for ATS states. Then if the maps are built separately, they will be merged into one. So we have a 1:5 version map of both games. Locality of builders will be an advantage; anybody would be enthusiastic to build their areas.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”