[DDS] Correct DDS Settings for DirectX and OpenGL

aerlenkoenig

[DDS] Correct DDS Settings for DirectX and OpenGL

#1 Post by aerlenkoenig » 13 Feb 2023 21:32

I use DirectX and have had no problems with my mods and the textures in the game. But so that users of OpenGL can also use my mods, I now wanted to adjust the DDS files / textures, because otherwise they appear only black. (Since I have never used OpenGL, I had not thought about the DDS settings before.)

In the forum I read that the appropriate format for OpenGL for DDS files is DXT5. So I resaved all my existing DDS textures under the following settings in Paint.NET:
  • BC3 (Linear, DXT5)
  • Perceptual
  • Generate Mip Maps
  • Adaptive (Best Quality)
This worked well and the textures are now also visible under OpenGL. However, I am not completely satisfied with the quality:

DDS settings I previously used for DirectX: B8G8R8A8 (Linear, A8R8G8B8)
[ external image ]

DDS settings I used of OpenGL: BC3 (Linear, DXT5)
[ external image ]

Especially regarding the normal map texture of the DXT5 DDS, I am not quite as satisfied. Is this due to the settings or is there another way to adjust the quality so that it gets approximately the level of the original? I apologize if the question is silly, but I have not studied OpenGL and DirectX as well as the DDS formats in depth.
Etrusan

Re: [DDS] Correct DDS Settings for DirectX and OpenGL

#2 Post by Etrusan » 14 Feb 2023 12:19

Export as .tga and use SCS Conversion Tools.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net

Return to “Blender Tools”