FPS drops during gameplay

HzQ700

Re: FPS drops during gameplay

#21 Post by HzQ700 » 22 Mar 2023 19:15

@wato
After my problem showed up I tried to find a solution and found a topic here on the forum with a tutorial video. In the video the guy used the Nvidia Profile Inspector and did the same as him, followed his every step but it did not solve the problem. There was an additional info in the topic: changing the resolution to a newer and do the same in the game maybe (I dont remember correctly sorry). Maybe that could be fix. I have a 1440x900 res monitor btw.

@Brian Benton
Well the driver of the GPU was updated a few times, thats 100% and maybe there were one or two Windows Updates but they never caused a problem. I will give it a shot to enable Adaptive V-Sync and test it but I will reset the settings in NPI. By the way V-Sync was never allowed before.
One word about freezes in territories I experienced it in Iberia only. The settings were set to Ultra by GeForce Experience.
Brian Benton

#22 Post by Brian Benton » 23 Mar 2023 07:03

@HzQ700 Friezes and "rubber band" are different things in my understanding. The language barrier does not allow me to determine exactly what you meant. Friezes are a short-term fading of the game for a split second. "Rubber band" is an effect when FPS with V-Sync enabled is at around 60 FPS, but suddenly drops to +-40 for a while and the frametime graph turns from a flat line into a wooden fence, and then again FPS becomes 60 and the frametime graph becomes a flat line. This drop in FPS and the feeling that the gameplay slows down and stretches like a "rubber band" occurs when the video card is not able to provide a stable 60 FPS in a given situation. Again, this effect is relevant when you use V-Sync.

About the "rubber" tape and V-Sync, I gave you explanations and how to overcome it. In addition to the adaptive V-Sync mode, you can purchase a monitor with G-Sync technology.

Friezes in certain places of the map (updated Austria, new cities in Germany in 1.47, Iberia) are the consequences of poor map optimization in conjunction with the features of the game engine. This is normal in the sense that you observe this on a computer of any level. This is not normal in terms of game optimization. Those. your configuration has nothing to do with it.

But your problems started 2-3 weeks ago. That is, before that everything worked perfectly under identical testing conditions (the same PC configuration, the same number of mods (or lack thereof), the same configuration, the same testing conditions in the game with the same trucks, the same amount of traffic, territory, time of day, skybox and so on)? Thus, you need to look for the culprit. If you claim that you haven't changed anything other than the video card driver, then roll back the driver to a stable previous version that you used 2-3 weeks ago and do a clean install. I recommend not touching the settings in Geforce Expirience at all. Set your graphics card to maximum performance mode.

I see you also mentioned NPI... Do you use this anti-aliasing method? In conjunction with updating the video card driver, there could be problems. After a clean install of the old version of the driver, adjust the NPI anti-aliasing.

I have a 1063 graphics card and haven't experienced any performance issues in the game for over a month. I am using the latest driver. My processor is significantly weaker than yours in performance per core. The amount of RAM is also 16 GB. The game and Windows are installed on a standard 7200 HDD. I don't observe any problems other than the basic annoying features of the game that owners of any computer can observe.Yes, I see freezes every time my video memory is 100% full and the system starts to actively use slow RAM. This can be seen from the non-standard loading of RAM to values ​​of 8-9+ GB in the vanilla game. This is logical, since playing at 1080p using 400% scaling / 4x NPI anti-aliasing, the game uses 4-4.5 GB of video memory on new locations (my second video card has 8 GB of video memory and I observe an almost complete absence of friezes in new territories compared to with a video card with 3 GB of video memory). Therefore, 3 GB of video memory + 1.5 GB of RAM to the standard value of RAM consumption of 7-8 GB and we get a load of 8-9 GB of RAM.
HzQ700

#23 Post by HzQ700 » 23 Mar 2023 18:46

@Brian Benton
I have downloaded few skins for trailers, tuning mod for trucks, radio addon, +GPS addon and thats all. I dont think this could cause a problem. By the way I changed V-Sync to adaptive mode and seems it worked. And yes Im using the anti-aliasing method and changed everything like the guy who made the tutorial.
Im also planning to buy a better videocard and maybe a monitor. Im using this monitor since I bought my first computer in 2007 or 2008. I think it's a little bit old.
Last edited by HzQ700 on 23 Mar 2023 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
pandaforlife

#24 Post by pandaforlife » 23 Mar 2023 18:49

My fps doesn't drop any since I updated my graphics card studio driver instead of the game driver
HzQ700

#25 Post by HzQ700 » 24 Mar 2023 11:50

@pandaforlife Yesterday I saw a video on Youtube uploaded by AP 101 Gaming. He usually shows the upcoming DLCs, trucks etc. coming to ETS2 and in yesterday's video he showed that SCS made some perfomance improvements to increase FPS. Hope it will helps a bit.
Madkine
Global moderator

#26 Post by Madkine » 24 Mar 2023 12:42

Those would be the improvements in the 1.47 beta. If you are using the beta you already have those improvements.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
HzQ700

#27 Post by HzQ700 » 25 Mar 2023 18:23

@Madkine Im not updated it yet. I always wait 1 or 2 weeks with updating because I cannot use the mods I downloaded.
But my problem appeared again.. Ran out of ideas. Maybe I will wait for the official 1.47 and I will test it again.
pandaforlife

#28 Post by pandaforlife » 25 Mar 2023 18:36

HzQ700 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 18:23 @Madkine Im not updated it yet. I always wait 1 or 2 weeks with updating because I cannot use the mods I downloaded.
But my problem appeared again.. Ran out of ideas. Maybe I will wait for the official 1.47 and I will test it again.
I'm using mods in 1.47 open beta and having no issues. Have you tested performance on a clean profile?
Madkine
Global moderator

#29 Post by Madkine » 25 Mar 2023 22:24

He said he's not on 1.47.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
martinglight

#30 Post by martinglight » 07 Dec 2023 14:12

Fishing this topic out of the ocean because with West Balkans the FPS drops have become almost unbearable.
Basically I am getting 10-ish FPS on a top-end PC with Intel Core i9 13900KF and RTX 4090.
I have changed some parameters in the config file, but it should not be of too much concern because neither CPU or GPU usage ever went up to above 50% in any case.
I am playing the game vanilla.
Always underway.

System:
Windows 11 Pro
ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H D5
Intel Core i9 13900KF
32GB 6000MHz DDR5
Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 O24G

Return to “Technical Problems”