Lowboy with self steering axles?

VTXcnME

Lowboy with self steering axles?

#1 Post by VTXcnME » 21 Mar 2023 00:07

So I just delivered using my lowboy trailer (a trailer I haven't used much recently). When I was trying to back the trailer up, for the life of me... it just wouldn't go where I was trying to send it. Frustration began to overcome my sensibilities... I've done this many times, it shouldn't be THAT difficult.

I swapped to third person view and saw that the triple axles on the back of the trailer were turning in the direction I was trying to back up... those used to be fixed, when did that change for the Lowboy? Is there a way to lock the axles or are they all the time self steering?
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Lowboy with self steering axles?

#2 Post by supersobes » 21 Mar 2023 00:45

Are you sure you're using the SCS lowboy trailer and not a modded trailer? Also, which game version are you playing on? I just tested the SCS lowboy trailer on 1.47.0.21 (public beta version), and all the axles were non-steerable fixed axles.
VTXcnME

#3 Post by VTXcnME » 21 Mar 2023 00:59

Thought I was using the stock lowboy. I'm gonna have to go thru my mods and double check. I didn't see a custom lowboy trailer in there.

I'm on the most recent 1.46 update... not running open beta.
room217au

#4 Post by room217au » 21 Mar 2023 01:20

@VTXcnME I'm inclined to agree. When the lowboy trailers were introduced I tried the 53ft tri-axle. The rear-most axle had sympathetic steering and that was great for negotiating tight corners in the cities, but makes for a slightly different approach when reversing that trailer into a parking bay.
Forgive me if you already know this, but the angle between truck and trailer is what dictates the angle of steer from the trailer for both forward and reverse travel. The trick is to have the trailer as close to parallel with the truck as you reverse into the bay.
The sharper the turn in, the quicker the trailer turns.
Perhaps an additional option of being able to lock the trailer steer when reversing. I believe this exists in the real world too.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 21 Mar 2023 18:53

I'm sure the steerable axles is also a liftable axle. If its not locked, lift it. I'm not aware of steerable trailers for ATS though. It could be a bug.
VTXcnME

#6 Post by VTXcnME » 22 Mar 2023 11:07

All three axles on the rear sympathetically turned in the direction I was trying to send the trailer. I looked thru my mods and I don't have a modded low boy trailer. So now it's looking thru other mods to see what might be impacting that I guess.

It was something I've never experienced with the trailer before (running the same exact mods for some time now). Wasn't sure if it was something that updated when the W900 anniversary edition came out.

I"ll keep digging thru mods... maybe one of them updated and is conflicting now.
VTXcnME

#7 Post by VTXcnME » 23 Mar 2023 14:22

Only mod I could possibly think of was a mod that let me carry lowboy cargo on any lowboy configuration. I pulled that but the wheels still did sympathetic steering. I don't mind it so much now that I'm getting used to it, but anyone else had this issue?
flight50

#8 Post by flight50 » 24 Mar 2023 12:34

Sounds like ETS2 lowboy characteristics. The lowboys in ETS2 have all axles steerable. It shouldn't be that way in ATS. If you are playing on a vanilla profile, it really sounds like a bug.
VTXcnME

#9 Post by VTXcnME » 01 Apr 2023 17:52

Nope. Finally found the mod. One I'd never even considered. An engine pack. *SMACKS FOREHEAD* Sigh.

Either way, knew a mod was causing the error. Went one by one thru my 15 I use til I found it.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 02 Apr 2023 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
cristianrpbeijo

#10 Post by cristianrpbeijo » 02 Apr 2023 03:35

i never see lowboy trailers with steerable axles in ATS, only in ETS2(lowbeb/lowloader)

Return to “General discussion about the game”