ATS 1.48 speculation thread

flight50

Re: ATS 1.48 speculation thread

#171 Post by flight50 » 22 May 2023 03:38

If we get a 1:1 detailed map, I wouldn't expect it to be SCS that does it. Makes since for another company to go 1:1 and go the whole 9 yards. SCS doesn't have the time or resources to stick with 2 flagship games at 1:20/1:19 scale and then do a 1:1 map simultaneously. 1:1 takes away manpower that could be used on the current games.
Sara

#172 Post by Sara » 22 May 2023 06:55

While some games would make sense with a 1:1 scale, I don't think it would make sense for a 1:1 scale of a map just for a truck simulator. To put into perspective, does people want to spend days at the computer trying to complete a long haul from one state to another?

Although I'm not a fan also of the 1:19 scale, as it does take a bit away from what you would find driving across the states, but at least it gives me the opportunity to spend an hour or so sitting at the computer completing a long haul across the states, instead of days.
Optional Features

#173 Post by Optional Features » 22 May 2023 07:43

Sara wrote: 22 May 2023 06:55 While some games would make sense with a 1:1 scale, I don't think it would make sense for a 1:1 scale of a map just for a truck simulator. To put into perspective, does people want to spend days at the computer trying to complete a long haul from one state to another?
Flight sims have the same challenge. Those who don't have a ton of time do quick flights, and those who want a more immersive experience might fly around the world.

Obviously, the detail necessary for a flight sim map is significantly less, but I've yet to see a developer create a tiny Earth so that players could whiz from Big Ben to the Eiffel Tower to the Pyramids in an hour.

1:20 scale has as many drawbacks as perks. And when compared with a map like Esterlon, where a drive between places might take an hour, but the distance covered feels realistic, it's sad that the only option for longer distances is an ever larger, but always compressed map.

Right now, I can get from coast to coast in about 4 hours (with c2c). SCS will be more than a decade into map development if/when they reach the Eastern seaboard officially. That's a lot of work for a relatively short amount of distance. I wish it were 8 or 12 hours across myself, but that is almost certainly a question that is far behind us.

A small, detailed city like cliffandmark describes would be interesting if it had the traffic and pedestrians to make it feel alive (and a selection of docks and deliveries far more diverse than what is present in the current map).
dsalazar1715

#174 Post by dsalazar1715 » 22 May 2023 07:53

Hi, I'm not one to post much in the forum, but one of the things that I would love would be for the driver's seat to move as you drive and the seat to move up and down, I don't know if I understand myself hahaha and another thing that I I would love to put the air conditioning on, whether when it rains you have to turn it on so that the windshield does not fog up, what do you think I would like to see your answers and excuse me for my English I use a translator
angrybirdseller

#175 Post by angrybirdseller » 22 May 2023 09:41

Want to drive 1:1 go get CDL license and get paid for it. SCS will not bother with 1:1 scale they would need large investment for no return for it. The 1:20 scale is most SCS can handle for the long term.
VTXcnME

#176 Post by VTXcnME » 22 May 2023 12:11

I'd appreciate if the scale was like 1:15 vs 1:20, but here's the thing.... that discussion is *WELL* in the rear view mirror at this point. Like, I'm surprised folks can still see it it's so far in the rear view mirror.... With how much of the country that's been developed, this is what we have. This is what we WILL have going foward. 1:bigger scale conversations at this point are beyond futile. SCS won't rescale the map again. I'll trot out the tried and true, well worn and overused phrase: If folks want a 1:1 trucking game they should build it out themselves. Or hire someone and pay them to build it out for them.

SCS had a really crappy choice they were forced to make when they started development of this game: develop the sense of vast cross country driving while maintaining the ability to do jobs in a reasonably timely manner. They self-admittedly got it wrong out of the chute with CA, and they rescaled and tried to fix it. Talking about cross country or cross time zone deliveries.... The mainstream user isn't going to want to dedicate 2 full days IRL to deliver from California to Florida. Or 3 full days if they are going diagonally across the US. That size of map appeals to a much smaller (though obviously diehard) contingent of users.

As I say above, I wish the long distance drives were a little bit longer, but at this point it is what it is. Let's use a recent example of a delivery I made from Northern Texas to Washington. If I'm in a hurry one day (because adulting is a real thing and you don't always have 5 hours to just throw away on a day off) I'll drive like a bat outta... er-hrm, "heck" and get a long distance delivery done in an hour or so. For the example above, I wanna say it was about an hour and a half to cover the 1,800-ish miles. That was passing vehicles on the interstate in the breakdown lane if they wouldn't move. Running red lights wherever I found them. Skipping weigh ins. The whole nine yards. If I have a bit longer to play games around for the day, I'll follow the traffic laws and traffic lights etc. If I take a similar delivery that I drove in a hurry but this time follow the traffic laws/speed limits/lights/etc, it does in fact take a couple hours IRL (the above trip was about 3.5hrs). I like the Washington to Texas routes, so sometimes I cross thru the northern strip of states on I-90 and drop south on I-25. Sometimes I prefer a desert-ish route and will follow I-84 toward Salt Lake and 191/6 down thru Price.

You can scale how long you want to play/drive basing it off your route and your desire to follow traffic laws. I think It's an okay balance right now. Not great, but not terrible either. I really think they've balanced the amount of time most users have to throw at playing games. We've all got grown up responsibilities, right? Playing ATS for 6, 7, 8 hours a day to make ONE DELIVERY (or even worse- make a single leg of a multi day journey for one delivery) just isn't feasible nor very realistic for this style of game.
clifflandmark

#177 Post by clifflandmark » 22 May 2023 13:08

Its clearly manipulaton.Not all states in 1:1, I said big cities like SF, LA maybe Seattle, Portland. I'd also recommend cdl for those who want 1:1 for lower48
Sara

#178 Post by Sara » 22 May 2023 16:15

Optional Features wrote: 22 May 2023 07:43 1:20 scale has as many drawbacks as perks. And when compared with a map like Esterlon, where a drive between places might take an hour, but the distance covered feels realistic, it's sad that the only option for longer distances is an ever larger, but always compressed map.
I don't disagree. Having a little more of an increased map would be good, especially in making the journey feel like it is long, but an exact 1:1 scale feels a bit too much in my own opinion.
Optional Features

#179 Post by Optional Features » 22 May 2023 16:16

@VTXcnME Yeah, it's a bit of a dead horse for sure, but without much more than map, it's hard to think about much else haha.

I believe the scale would feel far larger with a walk mode, some interaction with the map/vehicles, and fewer walls and barriers blocking us from stuff. It's not a small map: it just feels small because we are constrained to using like half or less of the playable area.

The second primary game I play has maps a tiny percentage of this size, and some feel like they go on forever because the player is basically restricted to the edges of the map, not the edges of the road.

I'm certain once Oklahoma drops I'll be looking at some massive industrial complex with a permanent gate around it and no way in. And Kansas will likely repeat the same.
VTXcnME

#180 Post by VTXcnME » 22 May 2023 16:29

I'm thinking it's beating a scaled dead horse's bones... it's been dead for so long it's decomposed away to nothing man. LOL

There are some roads at the existing scale that don't seem to be accessible that connect to another part of the map that is accessible. It would be nice if those roads were able to be traversed. Before the nay-sayers jump in, I understand parts of the map on the corners are drop off points, but when a road connects from A to B (want to say I was in Montana/Bozeman area) with a road that was blocked on one side and the other, but when I got to the far side, I could see a straight line road that would have connected the two points (I could actually SEE MY DELIVERY POINT in the distance some mile or so away (game miles not real miles). Roads like that.... yeah, they should be accessible.

And I get that every single depot and complex can't be a delivery point, but some of the artistic skill and design that goes into these visual only places.... maaaan. Yeah. I get that too. The cattle/livestock industry could have been WILDY fleshed out if they'd made even a quarter of the ranches I drive by in Texas deliverable.

Return to “General discussion about the game”