ATS 1.48 speculation thread

Darsol

Re: ATS 1.48 speculation thread

#211 Post by Darsol » 31 May 2023 19:50

My dream for LA is that they ditch Carlsbad and add Long Beach and San Bernardino/Riverside as marked. Having the greater LA area as 4 marked cities (with Oxnard) would be great, if they bring the level of detail that they did for Denver, Dallas, Houston, and (seem to be bringing to) the Bay Area.

I know people screamed about not having enough surface streets to drive on in Texas, but LA is truly defined by it's interstates. I'd rather have a good approximation of the 5, 10, 405, 110, 710, and 101 than the ability to drive Western from San Pedro to Burbank. In fact, I'd probably say, in order of importance, it should be Port of LA/LB, the Union Pacific yard in Long Beach, then the Interstates and freeways, then urban road network where they can fit it.
flight50

#212 Post by flight50 » 31 May 2023 21:17

^Not bad, that mostly works. But instead of having 4 marked, we can get some scenic towns and get remote depots to achieve the same thing. A greater LA is definitely the right move. If they went all out for Redding that is only 61.17sq mi , we need that same energy for LA to make it feel like the 502sq miles that is actually is. Then when NYC comes we need it at 60% of LA as NYC is only 302.6sq miles.

I'd be okay without Oxnard and Carlsbad honestly to get that 502sq mile feel. But getting both the 110 and 710 is pushing it if we expect industry and surface roads. The 405 is a must and hopefully from start to end. That makes the 110 expendable. If we can get the 710, definitely no 605 is gonna fit. We have to have surface streets though. LA might be know for its interstates but at 1:20 scale we still need a balance. Getting all interstates with no depots defeats the purpose of making deliveries to LA. We need to get off the interstates to industry. People would roast SCS for that one. We can't drive in downtown LA but we should be able to have a good surface street network. We don't need every single interstate there is in LA, just the important ones that can bring industry. They all simply can't fit.

CA-91 is great for surface streets. We can get the 91, 405 and 710 to all the industrial areas in that sector of LA and not even need the 110. We can also get industry all along I-5/CA-91/710. I agree on the Union Pacfic/BNSF yard area. That area looks sweet. We could get this cool junction here. If we have a shot at LAX and the Ports, we need industry inside of the 405 so that the outer limits of CA-1 can bring the ports and LAX with good space. Using the water and extend the land hopefully happens.

I'd like to see 5-6 zones make up LA for industry. San Fernando, Long Beach/Torrance, Anaheim/Orange, Santa Ana/Irvine, LA/Pasadena and then San Bernadino/Riverside and Ontario as 2-3 zones. Several pockets of industry would really spread out LA. If we are to feel distance, we shouldn't really clump it up with interstates imho. Each major junction in the largest US cities are the size of a small scenic town. That eats of way too much space that could bring industry. Look at Dallas/Ft. Worth. Those junctions ate up a ton of space and it makes the city seem much smaller since so much has to get cut out. Irl, DFW is sprawling along all the interstates. LA needs more space than DFW. I don't want to see them repeat DFW. DFW, Houston and San Antonio was a good test for San Jose, LA and San Diego.
Calibuddy99

#213 Post by Calibuddy99 » 01 Jun 2023 04:58

I would prefer the 710 over the 110 because the 710 has more trucks on it. Like, a bunch more. Also, don't forget the 10 ends at the 5 in the game, but in real life goes to CA-1. That section is also a must, and if anything, they have a part of that section but never connected it. All I know is that we need the 405, 110 or 710, The rest of I-10 itself, CA-91 and it should be about fine. I also would like the 210, but that might just be too much space. And you can't get in CA-60 either, since it's too close to I-10 and has the exact same purpose. I don't even know why CA-60 exists in real life at all since it is simply a route parallel to I-10 and only a few miles away from it. Although having some of the 60 would be great because if they add I-215, then a proper connector to I-10 would be convenient.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Darsol

#214 Post by Darsol » 01 Jun 2023 17:30

That's all fair. I did say it was my dream, and I didn't put too much thought into it. Still, I think it needs to be squeeze in whatever freeways you can to get the feel, then the landmark deports (Port, railyard, LAX maybe), and then the road network to connect and fill in the gaps after that's laid out.

I'm making a bit of a mock up map, and I definitely agree that we're probably going to see the 5, 10, 405, and 710 as the interstates. Possibly a bit of the 110 between Terminal Island and the 405 so they can get the Vincent Thomas Bridge in there and not have it be a weird dead end.

The big issue becomes the scaling of the area in regards to the 101/134, the 405, and the 14. Especially in how they connect IRL. I doubt they'll want to bring 101 down through downtown and have to deal with scaling the East LA Interchange around downtown with it's 5 exit points. That leaves the 101 connecting to the 5 in Glendale, then the 5/405 interchange in Sylmar, and then the 5/14 in Santa Clarita. That's 14 miles between 101 and 405 interchanges, and then 2 miles between 405 and 14.

The easiest way around that would be to have 405 dead end at the 101, but that also means no depots in the San Fernando Valley (including the massive Anheuser-Busch plant, which we already have decent prefab for). Honestly, LA's combination of both density and breadth are going to be difficult to capture in a meaningful way at 1:20 without sacrificing important things.

But this probably belongs in the California Rework thread at this point.
TruckingWolfUSA

#215 Post by TruckingWolfUSA » 01 Jun 2023 20:02

I think the answer to LA needing space is making Carlsbad scenic/using and distorting ocean space in the West and South of the city to create enough space for the needed large depots and freeway interchanges. Won’t look exactly right but I think so long as it doesn’t look absurd on the game maps, the vast majority of players won’t really care.
flight50

#216 Post by flight50 » 01 Jun 2023 20:36

Yeah using the water is the meal ticket. I advocate that all the time. If we can get phase 3 California with 1.48, we could see them do this for the Bay Area. They never mention it as an option but of course the won't speak on that pethaps til after content releases. But I serious hope they have considered it and implement it for the Bay Area to increase space for Oakland and San Francisco.

True it will look slightly off but that's only when looking at the map overlay. That's not the important part. When in the game itself, space is unlimited. That is the key part. There are zero boundaries so it makes perfect sense for SCS to start using some space from the body if waters that shaping North America and gain 0.5 to 1.5 Sq km worth of space. That can be the difference in more depots or road network.
interstate trav

#217 Post by interstate trav » 03 Jun 2023 19:25

The reason the 60 exists in real life is most of it used to be US 60. The parallel is needed and anyone who has driven in Los Angeles knows how bad traffic is on all of those freeways.

I could see most of the 405 making it, the 10 I’m sure will connect to the 1. The 5-14 jct is a must. It’s such a major interchange and having the 14 Antelope Valley Freeway with scenery in Antelope Valley as it’s an extension of Los Angeles.

The 110 or 710 would be nice to have, and for trucking I’d say the 710.

I’ve even made some drawings

https://imgur.com/gallery/tJ0eQuA

https://imgur.com/gallery/rghJ2MA

https://imgur.com/gallery/mFFpHST

https://imgur.com/gallery/fIugtnI
rbsanford

#218 Post by rbsanford » 03 Jun 2023 20:22

I was thinking of the 110 running down to the 47, and that leading to Navy Way, which would go to the Maersk terminal. Then the 91 would connect the 110 to the 5, and branching off the 91 would be a surface road that, with some major liberties being taken, would provide access to the Carson refineries, some of those warehouses in the Compton/Carson area, and Century Blvd, which would hook up with the 110 and go to LAX. Again, some big artistic liberties would have to be made, but I don't think LA can be represented without doing that. This city is an absolute beast, and concessions will have to be made, especially when it comes to the junctions, especially the clusterfun that is the 5/10/101 mess.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
BeastyBill88

#219 Post by BeastyBill88 » 04 Jun 2023 01:33

I'm hoping in 1.48 all the trucks will be updated to have cabin suspension, since it was added and working with the new VNL that released the other week.
parasaurolophus67

#220 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 04 Jun 2023 01:35

@BeastyBill88 That's WAY expecting too much m8. Plus the four Paccar trucks and older volvo would have to be fully reworked to even have cabin suspension as starters.

Return to “General discussion about the game”