Uneven road causes 60% damage?

nickvergessen

Uneven road causes 60% damage?

#1 Post by nickvergessen » 14 Apr 2023 18:27

Hi there,

before heading into the bug report area I wanted to ask if I'm doing something wrong here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iPv5qrXts

In the video you can see me picking up a "Log Stacker" for a trip from Deepgrove Steamboat Springs to HMS Machinery Rock Springs.
2023-04-14 20_26_49-Clipboard.png
On the way in I received roughly 30% damage and was quite surprised (suspencion unchanged since buying the truck).
So on the way out I tried to drive a bit slower (< 20 mph) and configured a key for the suspencion and moved it all up, but still received 30% damage from the uneven road.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is it intentional that picking up a trailer from the forestry leaves you on a unlucky 10+ minute ride to the next garage turning off you engine all the time?
Or are the defaults a bit too aggressive or something?
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Uneven road causes 60% damage?

#2 Post by Madkine » 15 Apr 2023 07:38

Some bullbars are too low and clip into the road, check what you have on your truck.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
nickvergessen

#3 Post by nickvergessen » 15 Apr 2023 08:55

Thanks for the hint, I will try to remove it, although it doesn't look very low.
But might still be causing it:
ats_20230415_105256_00.png
Seelenkrank

#4 Post by Seelenkrank » 15 Apr 2023 11:50

Westernstar 5700x?
its horrible on uneven roads even with no bullbar you can damage the truck so fast.
when you drive around 15mph you can prevent this +/-.
seems like there is a very low damage box on the truck...
PBandJ

#5 Post by PBandJ » 15 Apr 2023 12:23

Definitely slow down a bit, also if that is an actual pic of your truck above it could be the side skirts. I think it would benefit you greatly to slow down and drive the high side keeping wheels on highest ground even when cornering. Have one set on higher center and other set on outside edge, just like real life. Logging roads are not as smooth and easy to drive as regular roads and highways.....:)
GinXeng

#6 Post by GinXeng » 17 May 2023 23:48

This happens to me once in a while on a surface road ever since they added random road bumps, no mods or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVhTtzHP8MU
SomeNordGuy

#7 Post by SomeNordGuy » 08 Jun 2023 21:48

Generally the trucks that have the option for the steel heavy haul front bumper(with the grille guard hoop/loop with the pin bar link connection)and the forestry rack have a higher ground clearance than the road going trucks.

Example:
My anthem and pete have ground clearance issues but my WS 49x 72" SBA 6x8 has zero issues with any road or surface. It all depends on ride height and the engineering that went into developing each truck for the game.

Not every truck in the game can go everywhere no matter what you do.

And something needs to be said about the realism... some trucks do not have double wall frames in the game and should not be taken off pavement for certain types of deliveries, whether that is going to be further developed in the future, it should be listed within the truck specs. Double wall frame trucks are generally used for heavy/industrial duty like logging, mines, construction, off highway. Off highway is different than off road.

5700x, Anthem, VNR are all on the road/pavement end of the spectrum...
Western Star 49x, Intl 9xxx, KW T800, Mack R, Mack RD, Scot are all heavy duty...
Pacific, Hayes, Ural are off highway... logging/mine short trip trucks
Terex, Pacific, Oshkosh are Off road (750hp+. 2000tq+, 5-6sp trans, no OD top speed 60 mph or less) Mine/Defense trucks
[ external image ]
SomeNordGuy is on Steam, Youtube & World of Trucks
Skinning/Modding Since 1997
Koseith

#8 Post by Koseith » 19 Jul 2023 20:51

SqrlNuts wrote: 08 Jun 2023 21:48 Example:
My anthem and pete have ground clearance issues but my WS 49x 72" SBA 6x8 has zero issues with any road or surface. It all depends on ride height and the engineering that went into developing each truck for the game.
This makes sense. I am wondering if this is just that the Western Star truck has outstanding off-road capabilities or that all trucks have small variations in their off-road performance.

I am also wondering if the adjustable suspension height has any effect on damage taken off-road. Last time I used my Kenworth W900 in a rough road, it kept taking damage at a great rate, even though I was going very slow (~10mph). My Kenworth was using the large front bumper, but still, I could not perceive a difference in damage taken based on suspension height.
Madkine
Global moderator

#9 Post by Madkine » 20 Jul 2023 12:41

Large front bumper will have been the issue for you.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Eggtooth

#10 Post by Eggtooth » 02 Aug 2023 01:00

This can happen if you have lowered suspension too. Reset it. There's a bug that if you have automatic resetting suspension height set to off via console and leave truck on too low height, the bumps go haywire and you can actually sink into the ground and just bounce up. Just had that happen to me.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”