Poor performance in Austria, known fixes?

Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Poor performance in Austria, known fixes?

#11 Post by Madkine » 02 Jun 2023 13:59

GE = Game Engine
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Tomsun

#12 Post by Tomsun » 02 Jun 2023 15:53

fratrac wrote: 01 Jun 2023 20:01 @Tomsun thanks for the GE insights, I hadn't thought about it before. I do confirm that sibirmap260 looks really tempting 8-)

Since the performance issues concentrate in urban areas it would be really interesting to know what is different there compared to other areas, and then tweak settings accordingly, though I'm confident SCS are aware of the issues and probably there is nothing that can be tweaked specifically for the newer urban areas as of right now
In the urban areas there is much more traffic (AI) every car has to be calculated separately, so in a rural area with less vegetation and perhaps three other cars is less stress on the GE as in city center with 10 or 20 or even more cars computed, additional highly detailed building where every flowerpot is detailed to the max (thats the cost of eye-candy we are so font of), or even if a woody area where the trees are higly detailed. To say it more drastic in the past a building was just a block with a bitmap as decor, today every single brick of the house is detailed. in my opinion currently the mapdesigner do more than the GE can actually bare. If i see then 80-90% of available CPU-Performance unused that makes me sad (at times i used my 3900x it was above 90% and with Threadripper system 64-core you would only see a load around 2%).

SCS is aware of this issue , as Pavel talked about the Game-engine already years ago, but its a topic of available manpower, and think about it the last Graphisengine update was also without getting directly money due to a paid update, so economically its clear the focus is more in paid DLCs. The not going public of HOR worsens the situation financially (lots of work and not getting the turnaround).

I'm not sure if lightening the assets would give some more fluently gaming and then to upgrade the assets if the new GE is released (if it will happen)
blackpanther239

#13 Post by blackpanther239 » 02 Jun 2023 19:44

Tomsun wrote: 02 Jun 2023 15:53 [...] so economically its clear the focus is more in paid DLCs.
I've been playing ETS2 for about 10 years now, and over the years I've bought professional equipment (steering wheel, pedals, shifter, sim dashboard via tablet and smartphone, 3 monitors, etc.) for a lot of money. I've been a true enthusiast of this game for years and have driven millions of miles. I kept telling my friends about this game, bought all the DLCs, upgraded my PC several times just because of ETS2 to experience good immersion. I've spent countless hours tweaking graphics and performance. For about 2 years the game has become less and less fun for me because the performance is just bad, no matter what you try to change in the settings. Tips from Internet forums are of little or no help. I hardly ever play it anymore. I just miss the fun because the performance is missing. The feeling of being able to turn immersively through the city in a truck or to be able to drive smoothly through great landscapes. It wouldn't be so important to me that the landscapes or the traffic become more and more detailed, but rather that the game runs smoothly, no matter where you are driving. I've lowered my graphics settings by a few levels anyway, but the poor performance doesn't change much. It's a shame, but if SCS really cares more about selling DLCs than they do about improving the game's performance, which is much needed, then I probably won't be the only player saying goodbye to the game.
Greetings from a big, but soon to be ex-ETS2 fan :(
Tomsun

#14 Post by Tomsun » 02 Jun 2023 20:06

@blackpanther239 i started with the 18WOS series on a singlecore athlon, used different wheelsetups. My last upgrades were a shifterknob and a trackIR, combined with a 21:9 monitor really great and i upgraded from 1080ti to a RX6800 (i didn't expected any improvement but i was wrong were the 1080ti was limiting 50 FPS it was 100 FPS with the rx6800) Due to the fact that with scaling 400%/200% and all settings maxed out in 3440*1440 some places are going down to around 75 FPS i allowed a bandwith 75-100 FPS in the gamesettings of the radeon driver. To be honest you really don't see that difference to 200%/100% scaling and stable 50 or 60 FPS are really enough. My feeling is that the aamd 3D cpus perform very well with the SCS-titles.
fratrac

#15 Post by fratrac » 02 Jun 2023 21:01

@j7n I usually drive with a joypad so using an external camera is fine to me, I rather enjoy the front-wheel-side camera :) Weather and lighting do hit performance, I kinda got rid of both as I keep rain probability to zero and always avoid driving during nighttime (also because I can't see a damn thing lol)

@Tomsun I do keep traffic disabled but I don't notice improvements. I'm sure SCS isn't just doing random things, but I think it would be convenient to keep some of the new content's heavier details "disabled" or "hidden" until the game engine is able to keep up with them, if SCS really needs to push new content out before upgrading the GE

@blackpanther239 I'm sure this situation will come to an end before you will say goodbye, ATS also has many pretty roads to drive outside of the poor performing urban areas to be enjoyed :)
physics.scs --> bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0
j7n

#16 Post by j7n » 04 Jun 2023 23:00

I'd like to see a slider with 1 or 2 positions to simplify the geometry or the lights, whichever is the most demanding in these new areas. Currently we don't have anything like that in settings. The extreme details usually are too small to see, if the screen is small or if I'm looking through the windshield and paying attention to the road, but they still create aliasing. It seems that wires and lampposts are drawn at the same distance in full irrespective of the screen size, and only trees get simplified. I recall how in NFS Most Wanted we could decrease detail and remove trash bins from the road (geometry), which also made the game easier as a side effect. When I'm driving in Scandinavia or even in Viva La France, the detail seems sufficient, and the game is smooth.

Return to “Technical Problems”