Poor performance in Austria, known fixes?

fratrac

Poor performance in Austria, known fixes?

#1 Post by fratrac » 30 May 2023 11:53

Hi, my PC handles comfortably any ETS2/ATS graphics settings but in Austria the game still can't run properly, does anyone know what can I tweak to get decent performance (steam launch parameters etc)? It is clearly a game engine issue, I don't know how further SCS want to go with content quality before upgrading the engine but I'm not impressed

Thanks
physics.scs --> bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0
j7n

Re: Poor performance in Austria, known fixes?

#2 Post by j7n » 31 May 2023 01:17

SCS latest cities seem to require more CPU especially at night and with high quality of rain. I experience high CPU load in Iberia and Austria and almost everywhere in ATS. The performance improves as soon as I cross a border. I don't see much differences visually, and suspect it has something to do with points of light because the problem is noticeable at night. See what the CPU load is.
fratrac

#3 Post by fratrac » 31 May 2023 09:49

In poor performance areas my CPU is at 15-20%. It is NOT a hardware issue, it's the game engine not being able to use the available processing power.

I confirm cities (even the smaller not present on the map ones) and night kill performance, though I usually have ambient lights disabled (because I can't stand the light bleed in the cabin) and it doesn't really make the performance better
fratrac

#4 Post by fratrac » 31 May 2023 12:28

To my surprise, I have just discovered that apparently performance does drop only if playing in the first two camera modes (in-cabin (1) and chasing the truck (2))
j7n

#5 Post by j7n » 01 Jun 2023 02:45

Outside cameras do seem to have a better performance. But you can't drive a truck from them.
Tomsun

#6 Post by Tomsun » 01 Jun 2023 05:29

Every time the same the GE is in general more tha 10 years old, it is SINGLETHREADED.

You will experience this phenomenom in EVERY updatetd area in ETS2 and ATS, especially towns and crowded areas e.g. with much AI.

As mentioned above outside camera will help a lot (due to the fact that you don't have e.g. all the mirrors , because every mirror has to be rendered seperately, which causes a lot of CPU stress)

Lower Settings (i would use the detailed settings and not the fast setting mode to only change certain settings, Scaling, reflection scaling disable SSAO, reduce mirror resolution, reduce mirror viewing distance, lower vegetation details. I would try this in a region you have the most problems, and i would go bit by bit until i find an acceptable situation.

You didn't tell us what FPS do you expect? an almost stable 60 FPS-100 FPS is good, use the abilities of your driver to LIMIT your frames (This is not an EGO-Shooter).
The CPU load of 15-20 % i assume you have 6-core CPU (100/6 = 16,66), as the system can use of course other cores your load can be above this value.
fratrac

#7 Post by fratrac » 01 Jun 2023 08:36

@Tomsun I have to say you're pretty good at guessing people's CPU cures :shock: So yes I have 6 cores and I do keep graphical settings in check (ssao disabled, vegetation details not the highest, no ambient/AI lights, etc), disabled AI traffic too; I have 100% scaling with the NPI antialiasing trick. I usualy keep my FPS at 1/4 Vsync, hence 36 FPS so I don't ask much, but 20 FPS (when performance drops) are not too many to play with

I have noticed that exterior cameras don't hurt performance even with both virtual mirrors enabled, and often even the chasing camera (default button: 2) has issues while the others don't. It would be really interesting to have an explanation from SCS in a blog post together with future plans, I really hope they won't keep releasing new content without an up to the task game engine. And hopefully they have planned how much resources they will have to waste to convert the newer content to the new engine when the time comes

@j7n Interior camera is mint, though I don't mind the front wheel or front bumper cameras either (aside from front hitting everything all the time lol)

Anyway, exterior cameras are a good enough temporary workaround for me
Tomsun

#8 Post by Tomsun » 01 Jun 2023 18:35

@fratrac the core guess is very simple if you know the GE is singlecore, its plain math, adding some system tasks not caused by the game.
The task scheduler on the die is so fast that you can't see a core fully utilized, BUT if you look at the Total CPU load this value is much more stable. so simply dividing 100% by the corecount of your cpu and you have the saturation value. And yes i barely can imagine someone ha a GPU bottleneck (what for sure occur if we get the GE-update).
The last DLCs and updated areas are at the very edge for the GE. But if you try sibirmap260 its even a littlebit harder (but wonderful details)
I also reduced my target fps to 75 FPS in the meantime, but i try to maximize eyecandy wherever possible (and then even my GPU reaches its limit) but its currently more a testing what is possible instead of what is meaningful.
fratrac

#9 Post by fratrac » 01 Jun 2023 20:01

@Tomsun thanks for the GE insights, I hadn't thought about it before. I do confirm that sibirmap260 looks really tempting 8-)

Since the performance issues concentrate in urban areas it would be really interesting to know what is different there compared to other areas, and then tweak settings accordingly, though I'm confident SCS are aware of the issues and probably there is nothing that can be tweaked specifically for the newer urban areas as of right now
j7n

#10 Post by j7n » 02 Jun 2023 11:07

One setting I found that eats CPU with giving little in return is weather quality (only during rain). I set that to medium.

Big highway intersections that are lit up also cause a performance drop, and, unlike in cities, you need to go through them at high speed.

Maybe you could drive from external camera if you had a physical wheel to see its position and center it. In traditional driving games we would only steer from the 0 point with full scale "impulses", but in ETS the wheel can be turned and stay there to follow a curve. From outside camera I inevitably send my truck into oscillations as I try to compensate for it turning in one direction and push it to the other.

What does "GE" stand for?

Return to “Technical Problems”