Does this game ever feel...small?

quadrifern

Does this game ever feel...small?

#1 Post by quadrifern » 31 May 2023 12:49

Does this game ever feel...small? Not in terms of raw distances, but in terms of the driving experience. The turning lanes at junctions feel too short, the off-ramps to junctions are too short, the merging lanes are too short, the traffic light cycles feel too short, the advisory to visit the scales on the route advisor is too close to the turn-off, the upcoming roadworks signs are too close to the obstacle (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close) and the ungodly AI vehicle systems slow you up at every turn...

I'm a stickler for driving realistically. I don't stand on the brakes, I don't speed, I don't break road rules (apart from the silly ones), I use realistic truck-trailer length combinations, I use the gears properly via double-clutching, floating, and using the jake brake and the retarder. All mechanics that are implemented into ATS as standard, yet I'm forever frustrated because I almost never feel like I have enough room to manoeuvre. I've installed a massive abundance of mods over my 1500ish hours and 7 years of playing just to get the game up to an acceptable standard of realism, and they're always let down by the scaling of the map.

That, and, SCS don't listen to their community... does anybody else feel the same way?
HRTrucking

Re: Does this game ever feel...small?

#2 Post by HRTrucking » 01 Jun 2023 05:31

I feel you should have posted this in the ATS section. As this ETS2 where we drive modern trucks mostly and double clutching is something that was already almost history 20 years ago :lol: .

And with the newer parts of the game no I don't feel like it it's to small in anyway. Older parts that are getting reworked they're small with the on ramps.

Some thing's are just scaling issues. And when you look ahead you know what's coming anyway ( don't wait till the sign ) . You know when you see roadworks in the distance that you have to slow down, same for most stuff.

And I think they do listen. But can't get all the wishes in the people want or when they can they're working on it. Christmas stream and some of the dev streams you hear them talk about it.

For ETS2 in the newer parts are good imo with scaling of thing's. I drive a truck in Europe in real life and the newer maps in game feel fine by me, yes I miss thing's that don't fit in.

Can't say for ATS with the size of stuff, but I like driving there.
Madkine
Global moderator

#3 Post by Madkine » 01 Jun 2023 08:54

The game scale is 1:20, with that comes the fact that many things feel to small (braking distances, merging lanes etc). Get used to using the map and looking ahead.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Turd Ferguson

#4 Post by Turd Ferguson » 03 Jun 2023 08:37

As Madkine said the scale isn't 1.1 so you have to make allowances for that... that being said I've never felt that in ATS. Like you I drive as realistically as I can and have never felt the scaling of the map is a bad thing.
I mainly play ETS2 myself and have used a 1.1 map for over a year now which you may find eliminates some of your struggles?

Personally I think SCS are one of the few developers who actively engage and listen to their community and they do endeavour to implement features the community asks for (Lots of examples of this over the years) but for obvious reasons not everything can be done or in the timescales that some members of the community would like.
Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/401
DarkWolf904

#5 Post by DarkWolf904 » 09 Jun 2023 22:15

No, ETS2 never felt small.

If you are somebody who has time to drive a virtual truck from Aberdeen to London on a 1:1 scale map, you are probably living on disability benefits, never leave your house, and don't have a real-life job or family to worry about.
Shiva

#6 Post by Shiva » 11 Jun 2023 14:23

DarkWolf904 and good enough health, to drive so long distances.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”