Post your PC Specs

Calibuddy99

Re: Post your PC Specs

#521 Post by Calibuddy99 » 12 Aug 2022 17:34

@taneorb Yeah, but I want to save power usage, because electricity costs so much money to run. And my desk space is used up by a lot of stuff, in fact enough to where I can't fit a desktop. And desktops take up 1000w of power, and laptops only use 200 to 400 watts of power, which is way better. I would rather spend money on something other than a power bill, and a gaming laptop is great for that purpose. Because in my area, power is over $800 for me! I don't wanna spend that much money on a power bill, because why would anyone? So I'm getting a laptop, I don't care anymore about the quality of the brand, so I'll get the brand I choose, and that's final. No big, gigantic desktop using all of the power and raising up my bill, a laptop is what i prefer, if it heats up I'll just turn it off. I understand you want me to get a desktop, but I would rather have a laptop, because I don't want my power bill to go up, wasting $1000 every month.
Nothing to say here anymore.
xXCARL1992Xx

#522 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 12 Aug 2022 17:36

" And desktops take up 1000w of power"

what nonsense is that, it only takes as much "power" as the PSU and only if you load it to full capacity that you will never achieve during normal use :person_facepalming:
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#523 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Aug 2022 19:17

High end current gen GPUs reach 400W nominal consumption, highest Intel CPU reach 220W. Add the rest of components of the computer and factor it by the efficiency of the power supply (let's say, good enough to on such a high load, it would suck "only" another 10% from the wall plug). The whole computer could be too near those 1000W on nominal power, but way higher on transient spikes (that are more exaggerated as higher the nominal consume on the PC). High enough to trip a typical US household electric circuit protection; happened a lot already to several more than reputed gaming hardware reviewers. If lots of other things are plugged from the same way plugs using extensions, that only worse the problem. So, it could be their case indeed.

But yes, you are right that the average electrical consumption on domestic computers is way waaaay lower than that. The scenario he seems to depict where such high amounts of watts are needed is still rare. Unfortunately, it's something the major domestic computer companies seems to aim to; being pretty confirmed several news that point to a huge increase in the wattage of main PC components for the next generations incoming at the end of this year approx. At some moment, they will have to step down and focus on better efficiency ratios than only aw power because they are getting too close to the limits of normal US domestic electrical circuits. And no-freaking-body is going to remade their house electrical system to be able to use the new top-of-the-line gaming PC. But so far, the Marketing department gains the battle to keep pushing for the performance crown; no matter how silly it would be.

And @Calibuddy99, we don't want you to have a desktop, or a laptop or want nothing. We talked about our experiences and offered some tips. It's up to you to follow anyone of them if you want to. It's your money, burn it like you want.

Regards
Calibuddy99

#524 Post by Calibuddy99 » 13 Aug 2022 19:55

Well actually, nevermind. why? Because out of nowhere, I now want an ultrawide monitor. I think I am gonna go for the desktop, and get a 3080. Now the question is, should I get a prebuilt, or should I build it myself? I would like some advice on that.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Some newbie driver

#525 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Aug 2022 20:11

Look for Gamer Nexus (Youtube channel) series of recent videos about the quality of prebuilts found in US market. If some of those fits you, then good for you. Otherwise, buy it in pieces.
taneorb

#526 Post by taneorb » 16 Aug 2022 13:42

There are lots of good youtube guides on how to build a pc, LTT has one that's sort of a big ultimate cover all guide but there are plenty of other channels if you just search pc build tutorial on youtube. Gamersnexus is good for prebuilt reviews and you can especially see why people wouldn't recomend alienware after watching them.

Building a pc can be fun, but just take your time with it and just don't go with a super compact one from the start just go with an ATX sized case.

One other thing to note is what are you going to play and what resolution are you going to play at. If your monitor is 4k resolution yeah it might be worth getting a 3080, but then if you are going for 1440p and below then you can save your money and go for a 3070 or if you can find a good deal 3070ti.

Another useful site is pcpartpicker, which allows you to chose your parts and it will tell you if there are any incompatibilities.
SETrucker

View your computer?

#527 Post by SETrucker » 26 Aug 2022 19:52

It would be fun to know what kind of computer you are running or if you have updated anything?
YouTube channel for Euro Truck Simulator 2:
Follow my different missions on my channel https://youtube.com/channel/UC0ASSqpFaNfS9vBYW4nqhrQ
New 2 video every dag!!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.4-4.9 GHz
SETrucker

Re: View your computer?

#528 Post by SETrucker » 26 Aug 2022 19:53

I just moved from this computer:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8-4.6GHz
ATX: X570 Aorus Elite Gaming
RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3600Mhz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ 8GB
Storage: 2 Samsung 250GB M.2, 6 Kingston 960GB SSD
PSU: Corsair X - RM850X 850W
Follow my different missions on my channel https://youtube.com/channel/UC0ASSqpFaNfS9vBYW4nqhrQ
New 2 video every dag!!

SETrucker

Re: View your computer?

#529 Post by SETrucker » 26 Aug 2022 19:54

To build a new own computer again and this is installed on the new one on PCIe 4.0:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40-4.90 GHz
ATX: MPG X570s Edge Max Wifi
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 4600Mhz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro+ 16GB 4K
Storage: 2 Samsung 500GB, 1TB M.2, 1 Samsung 1TB, 2 2TB SSD
PSU: Corsair HX1500i 1500W

Around equipment: Logitech Brio 4K Stream Edition, HyperX Quadcast S Microphone,Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless Headset,
Corsair K100 RGB Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Wireless Pro SE Mouse, Corsair H170i 420mm Elite LCD Liquid CPU Cooler,
Corsair ML 120 RGB Elite 13st Fan, Chassi: Corsair Obsidian 1000D 7 199 SEK, Steelseries Qck PRISM 3XL 1220 x 590mm Mousepad.

The party cost me: 69 433 SEK
New 2 video every dag!!

nater6540

#530 Post by nater6540 » 04 Sep 2022 04:36

To save myself a crapload of typing, here’s the pcpartpicker part list for my current machine:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nater650/saved/bWQh3C

For peripherals, I’m using a Logitech MK550 wireless mouse/keyboard combination kit, for my headset I have a Bose NC700, and for my VR headset I got an Oculus Quest 2 that I got for Christmas about a year or ago which I was able to get working with my PC using the provided cable, albeit using a USB-C to USB-A adapter cable since I have no USB-C ports on my system. The only upgrade I did to the machine was swapping out my hard drive after the original WD Red HDD that I got when my parents bought the parts turned out to be a unit that was dead on arrival and wouldn’t even initialize properly. I also need a new tempered glass side panel as the original one the case came with apparently succumbed to thermal shock and shattered despite me trying to be as careful with it as I possibly could while handling it. Fortunately, my dad has the ability to laser cut me a new one because his 3D printer can also function as a CNC machine and a laser engraver as well, saving me from having to find and pay a company to custom cut a piece of tempered glass to fit my case.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”